U.s. To Host 2016 Copa America

Can someone explain to me why this USA-Colombia match is on FOX Sports 1? It's arguably the biggest match for the US audience in this tournament (group stage) and FOX (5) is showing reruns for their normal Friday night broadcast.

Fox has been advertising the shit out of this tournament so why not give it national coverage?

It was on Fox Sports 1 cause Colombia is really good and we're not.

Fwiw, Fox Sports 1 comes standard with my cable package. I watched the entire match. Beyond a really good Dempsey free kick, the USMNT looked totally overmatched.

Reactions: JCMore
crowds so far

usa v colombia - 67,439

costa rica v paraguay - 14,334

haiti v peru - 20,190

Brazil v Ecuador - 53,158

I think they should of thought about doing double headers for this tournament.

Reactions: CatNYC
Can someone explain to me why this USA-Colombia match is on FOX Sports 1? It's arguably the biggest match for the US audience in this tournament (group stage) and FOX (5) is showing reruns for their normal Friday night broadcast.

Fox has been advertising the shit out of this tournament so why not give it national coverage?
I was actually discussing this with Paul Paul the other night and for a Friday night, this seems like it should definitely be on FOX.

But the more I thought about it, I'm guessing FOX thought this was a good time to "showcase" FS1 and get people to trek on over to that channel. I guess they probably assumed that due to the game, FOX wouldn't have drawn THAT many more eyeballs than FS1, so it was worth to try and build the FS1 brand.

Reactions: Paul
The organizers really blew it with the pricing of the tournament. Having stadiums up to 5/6 empty while charging a lot is shortsighted. They're missing out on the soft-revenue of concessions, parking, and merchandise. Far better to lower the hard costs of the ticket, sell out each arena, and bank some serious soft-revenue with the multiplied fans. Plus, filled stadiums look better on TV, create better atmospheres in the stadium with the extra noise and energy, and to the selection committee of FIFA.

Who at US Soccer was in charge of this and did they ever do a spreadsheet on a worst case scenario for attendance?

Has anyone gotten their tickets for the final in the mail yet?

Just wondering if I need to have an NYCFC holding a one-goal lead in the 91st minute freak out yet.

Reactions: gbservis
Anyone happen to be in Chicago for the Costa Rica match? I'll be at the AO night before party tonight and then tailgate/game tomorrow.

This would be a defacto merger of CONCACAF and CONEMBOL. And I like it.

I see the calendar matching the Euros:

Year 1 = WC

Year 2 = Copa America qualifiers in groups

Year 3 = Copa America

Year 4 = Confederations Cup and WC qualifiers

http://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2016/6/6/11869352/copa-america--gold-cup-may-merge-one-tournament

Having the tournament in the states would help grow popularity.

Merging CONCACAF and CONEMBOL would definitely make it a lot more difficult for the US to qualify for anything.

Having the tournament in the states would help grow popularity.

Merging CONCACAF and CONEMBOL would definitely make it a lot more difficult for the US to qualify for anything.

Not necessarily. We'd be competing for a combination of all the CONCACAF and CONEMBOL bids. 3.5 + 4.5 for a total of 8 bids. They may even add others to make up for the quality of the competition and take away from UEFA's 13. I think the US and Mexico (maybe Costa Rica) can outplay the 4-5 worst South American teams to qualify. Will there be a cycle we don't? Maybe. But then WC qualifying has a meaning and it will harden us to be a better team in WC competition.

What's not explained is how Confed Cup qualifying would work.

Reactions: Paul
Not necessarily. We'd be competing for a combination of all the CONCACAF and CONEMBOL bids. 3.5 + 4.5 for a total of 8 bids. They may even add others to make up for the quality of the competition and take away from UEFA's 13. I think the US and Mexico (maybe Costa Rica) can outplay the 4-5 worst South American teams to qualify. Will there be a cycle we don't? Maybe. But then WC qualifying has a meaning and it will harden us to be a better team in WC competition.

What's not explained is how Confed Cup qualifying would work.
Definitely all for making the us national team better.

Reactions: joe and adam