USMNT Talk

The team last night was a 4141 but attacked like a 433 with the wide kids flying. Not sure Robinson as a wingback would add the same attacking umph down the sideline in a 352. I’d be quite content to keep 4 at the back so he’s playing his natural position, while using only 2CBs so that to 2nd group of CBs could be rotated between games as necessary for injury, fatigue, cards.

And was it me, or did he look like Callens with his haircut?
What I really meant was that he impressed me a lot, so if we went 3-5-2, I'd be an advocate for him there at the wingback spot. Sure, he may be more natural as a LB in 4 ATB (I honestly don't know enough about him to make such claims), but in the interest of getting the best players on the field at the same time, and in the context of playing a 3-5-2, I'd like to see him there.

Reactions: Ulrich
What I really meant was that he impressed me a lot, so if we went 3-5-2, I'd be an advocate for him there at the wingback spot. Sure, he may be more natural as a LB in 4 ATB (I honestly don't know enough about him to make such claims), but in the interest of getting the best players on the field at the same time, and in the context of playing a 3-5-2, I'd like to see him there.

I agree. Assuming we can add in the old guys. we should play a 3-5-2 with CB being so deep. add in yedlin and robinson on the wing. Sargent +1 up top. filling the three medfield with Weah, Pulisic, et al is easy. if you switch to a 4 man back you can drop one of the CB for adams or McKennie.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
. . Pulisic (19) . . . Sargent (18) . . . Weah (18)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . de La Torre (20)
. . . . . . McKinnie (18) . . . . . . Acosta (22)
Robinson (20) . CCV (20) . Miazga (22) . Adams (19)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Horvath (22)

25 or older who are allowed to play (not including keepers), in descending order of value.
Brooks (25)
Wood (25)
Johannsson (27)
Altidore (28)
Cameron (32)
Ream (30)
Dempsey (send off game)
Beasley (36 - I mean, why not?)

Am I the only one driven to near madness by Adrian Healy's speech impediment? He adds a "sh" sound to the end of nearly every word that ends with a hard consonant.

Reactions: Ulrich
Am I the only one driven to near madness by Adrian Healy's speech impediment? He adds a "sh" sound to the end of nearly every word that ends with a hard consonant.

Yeah, I'm been growing not a fan of his...

Really surprised Ian Darke isn't calling this one, or any of these friendlies in Europe for ESPN.

Never really noticed him doing that but what really raised my hackles this match was how he pronounced Wappingers Falls.

YES! Fuckin drives me crazy!

Another autopsy.
Spoiler: everyone is to blame, but mostly Klinsmann.
Man, I haven’t read it yet, but I can’t believe Klinnsman is more at fault thank Arena. He put us in a hole, but Arena’s losses were as bad or worse considering his belief in his “own guys” while ostracizing others that were in form which still led to goose eggs. And the crap I watched at RB arena against Costa Rica was malpractice which only foreshadowed the lack of leadership/effort against T&T.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Man, I haven’t read it yet, but I can’t believe Klinnsman is more at fault thank Arena. He put us in a hole, but Arena’s losses were as bad or worse considering his belief in his “own guys” while ostracizing others that were in form which still led to goose eggs. And the crap I watched at RB arena against Costa Rica was malpractice which only foreshadowed the lack of leadership/effort against T&T.
Arena played a 4-1-3-2 against T&T. That's all anyone needs to know.

Sunil Gulati destroyed this program in 2011 when he hired Klinsmann. That was it right there. Sure, Arena sucked and we still should have qualified, but the program was already decimated at that point.
Who gets more blame? Sunil or JK? It doesn't matter now. They are both gone, it's a new cycle, let's win the fucking Gold Cup and get some fresh momentum and confidence behind us!

JK was a disaster, Fuck that guy.

Gee, I wonder how we were able to get him over all of the other clubs that surely were vying for him. Oh and he is still available now? Hmmmm??

It couldn't be because people who have basic skills at assessing a person's capabilities knew that he was shit, could it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Christopher Jee
Sunil Gulati destroyed this program in 2011 when he hired Klinsmann. That was it right there. Sure, Arena sucked and we still should have qualified, but the program was already decimated at that point.
Who gets more blame? Sunil or JK? It doesn't matter now. They are both gone, it's a new cycle, let's win the fucking Gold Cup and get some fresh momentum and confidence behind us!

JK was a disaster, Fuck that guy.

Gee, I wonder how we were able to get him over all of the other clubs that surely were vying for him. Oh and he is still available now? Hmmmm??

It couldn't be because people who have basic skills at assessing a person's capabilities knew that he was shit, could it?
Gulati definitely destroyed the programs current cycle with his decision to hire Klinnsman. Klinnsman definitely had his faults and per the article killed team morale, but also per the article it sounds like Mikey Bradley and his established cohorts like Altidore etc (not Dempsey) were busy playing Brute with their behind the scenes talking and disdain - don’t think for a minute that he didn’t hold a grudge for how his dad was fired. He sank Klinnsman as a captain never should.

In comes Arena after Klinnsman lost two matches to the two toughest opponents, and the way the Hex is organized there are more than enough remaining matches to still qualify since two of the six teams each cycle have no business being part of it save to make up points by the top three.

With that said, Arena fcks everything up by playing his guys and taking the competitive nature out of the squad to fight for places - Evans disccused that difference. What does that leave but a shitty team led by a shitty captain that tried to backstab the previous manager, with a thickheaded manager that likes over the hill players, and it’s no wonder they lost to Costa Rica and T&T when it matter most.

The point is, even after two losses, the player pool (excluding Arena’s guys but including the Euro youngsters) had enough quality and would have definitely advanced under the guidance of a tactically astute manager. It took the most absurd sisturation to fail and to even be in a position for snake eyes to be rolled is all on the manager.

I’m not even going to ultimately blame the players that were on the field but shouldn’t have been 4 days after their last match, that’s all on Arena (not that I want most of them to ever wear the jersey again because they’re not as good as the youngsters).

So that’s a long way of saying that a lot of people and players fcked up the last cycle of the federation but only one person is to be blamed for not getting us to the WC when a single pt was needed against typically a rudderless opponent.

I don't think hiring Klinsmann was the problem. Klinsmann was instrumental in fixing/start the US Development Academy system.

The problem was retaining Klinsmann after the World Cup. Needing to record a World Cup record saves vs. Belgium is not meeting goals. Klinsmann should have been kept on with US Soccer as Technical Director, but not manager of the USMNT.

Jurgen being Jurgen.

B08969DC-3AB2-49DB-84BB-150B54B964FC.jpeg