USMNT Talk

This is an unusual time for US Soccer, it seems pretty much all of my life they have always had at least a clear #1 keeper, often with a very strong #2 to fight for the spot. Right now i'm not sure we have anything close to a clear number one, and no clear sense of who is going to Russia. I love SeanJohn, but is he Russia ready? Hopefully the Gold Cup gives us some clarity. If Bruce wastes this tournament with Guzan in goal, and he continues to show that he has lost a few steps, the next year is going to be hectic trying to determine what we do.

If Dwyer continues to show the same tenacity and guile up front that he did yesterday, I'm more than happy to give him the starter's role over Altidore from here on out (not that I'm a huge Altidore fan to begin with). DD is just way more mobile and finds perfect seams in the defense, and while not as tall as Altidore, he appears to play bigger/stronger. Really want to see him against better competition (other than the two-legged GK Red-that-wasn't, was Ghana really playing with top intensity in the friendly?) so that we can gauge his effectiveness..... because if Zuzi looked decent against Ghana's normally lethal wings, then the barometer was artificially low.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
If Dwyer continues to show the same tenacity and guile up front that he did yesterday, I'm more than happy to give him the starter's role over Altidore from here on out (not that I'm a huge Altidore fan to begin with). DD is just way more mobile and finds perfect seams in the defense, and while not as tall as Altidore, he appears to play bigger/stronger. Really want to see him against better competition (other than the two-legged GK Red-that-wasn't, was Ghana really playing with top intensity in the friendly?) so that we can gauge his effectiveness..... because if Zuzi looked decent against Ghana's normally lethal wings, then the barometer was artificially low.
Unlike against Mexico, they played their best team sans the handful of EPL guys. I'd say their team was at or above the same relative strength as us.

Reactions: Ulrich
Unlike against Mexico, they played their best team sans the handful of EPL guys. I'd say their team was at or above the same relative strength as us.
I don't think they were mentally taking the game as seriously as the US team was. Our guys were fighting for spots.... theirs were playing a friendly for the money(?)

Last edited:
I don't think they were mentally taking the game as seriously as the US team was. Our guys were fighting for spots.... there's were playing a friendly for the money(?)
And spots in WCQ. Ghana is in a fight for their lives right now.

I thought they seemed to be taking it pretty seriously. I don't know how anyone could claim to objectively know for sure, though. To me, it seemed to be played at a pretty high pace.

They don't ever really press high with a lot of intensity that I recall. Our midfield just outplayed theirs.

I'd grant you that they looked a bit off the pace for the first 15 or so. Then they realized they were going to get boatraced if they didn't match the intensity.

I'd want to rewatch before finalizing an opinion though. I don't always do well when it comes to paying close attention to watching friendlies the first time.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
And spots in WCQ. Ghana is in a fight for their lives right now.

I thought they seemed to be taking it pretty seriously. I don't know how anyone could claim to objectively know for sure, though. To me, it seemed to be played at a pretty high pace.

They don't ever really press high with a lot of intensity that I recall. Our midfield just outplayed theirs.

I'd grant you that they looked a bit off the pace for the first 15 or so. Then they realized they were going to get boatraced if they didn't match the intensity.

I'd want to rewatch before finalizing an opinion though. I don't always do well when it comes to paying close attention to watching friendlies the first time.
I don't think Ghana is going to qualify for the next World Cup

What's the best way to get tix?

Donating $5K to the US Soccer Development Fund where you have a concierge for ticketing services.

Otherwise, joining American Outlaws to get tickets in their allocation in the supporters' section.

Or just Ticketmaster when they go on sale to the public.

Reactions: LostAnvil
Sonuvabitch. I really would like to go to that game, but that means violating a personal rule I made for myself.

I just can't handle those logistical numb nuts. It's laughable how they handle an actual crowd.

It's going to be a while, probably a couple of years, before we see the USMNT team in a real game play within 2 hours of the city.

Donating $5K to the US Soccer Development Fund where you have a concierge for ticketing services.

Otherwise, joining American Outlaws to get tickets in their allocation in the supporters' section.

Or just Ticketmaster when they go on sale to the public.
Any idea when/how early Ticketmaster usually puts them up?

Any idea when/how early Ticketmaster usually puts them up?

US Soccer has tiered membership based on years or number of matches attended. So the top tiers get first crack and then it goes down in order then the general public. Probably should have ticket information soon after the venue is officially announced by US Soccer.

I've been telling people here to join US Soccer for forever. LionNYC LionNYC is right. You can buy the base membership and then status goes up over time. I have the highest you can have without paying large because I paid semi-large before they revamped the system and got grandfathered. Now there's no way to buy intermediate status.
Taurus joined based on my recommendation because he's smart like that.