Vieira suspends Khiry and Lopez

I thought Vieira's move was a good one. Publicly talking smack about your opponent before the game isn't going to inspire you to play harder and more effectively in the game but it might inspire your opponent to do so (or try to put a cleat through your foot). I thought it was a good teaching moment from our coach that didn't really make it less likely we were going to fail to win.
I think what makes this a good or bad move is beyond our knowledge. If PV has set down rules about this stuff, it's a good move. If he's never mentioned it, then this a poor move that would have been better served with a closed door discussion followed by a clear team policy. We just don't know what has been said previously.

Vieira's misreading and mishandling of this particular little situation reminds one of behaviour caused by Billy's insecurity, especially his act of making a public statement that is designed to embarass, in a case where a more mature manager would have simply had a private word. Billy's unrelenting spitefulness and pettiness cost him the respect of his players; Vieira's unnecessary grandstanding in this situation has likely had a similar effect on a smaller scale. But perhaps Vieira, unlike Billy, will reflect on this one misstep and will improve his methods as he goes along.
The problem with your statement that Vieira made a mistake here is that it's pure speculation on your part. It makes much more sense to me that he would have told them to cool it with the social media posting several times first and then went ahead and suspended them rather than to assume he never said a word to them until he improperly embarrassed them in public. As fans we just have no idea which way it went though. I'm more inclined to go with what the seasoned veteran thinks than to side with the kids who are more or less new to the game.

It sounds like you're assuming Vieira totally screwed this up and has no idea what he's doing. I'm more inclined to think Vieira got a little tired of telling them to tone it down online and decided to give them a little bit upside the head.

Reactions: Ulrich
The problem with your statement that Vieira made a mistake here is that it's pure speculation on your part. It makes much more sense to me that he would have told them to cool it with the social media posting several times first and then went ahead and suspended them rather than to assume he never said a word to them until he improperly embarrassed them in public. As fans we just have no idea which way it went though. I'm more inclined to go with what the seasoned veteran thinks than to side with the kids who are more or less new to the game.

It sounds like you're assuming Vieira totally screwed this up and has no idea what he's doing. I'm more inclined to think Vieira got a little tired of telling them to tone it down online and decided to give them a little bit upside the head.

Well, I guess that's true. If Vieira had already instructed the players not to post videos, and then Shelton and Lopez did it anyway, then I suppose that they deserved to be called out and suspended.

I admit that I have no way of knowing whether that's the case, and that I am just reacting to an innocent-looking display by eager young players.

Reactions: Kubah
It's a great move. My opinion is likely skewed by the fact that I've served in the military though.

There is a difference between confidence and just talking shit out of the side of your face to shitty results when it actually matters. That's weak shit for weak people and children that don't know better. MEN do better and behave better. Khiry and Mikey are young but they are professional athletes and everything that needs to be said should be said on the pitch with results. That's all that matters in pro sports. You can think and say whatever you want but you will be judged by your scorelines.

Confidence:

ML: Who are we playing this weekend?
KS: Chicago Fire.
ML: Are we going to win?
KS: We're damn sure aiming for it. Every team in this league can win and Chicago is no different. It will come down to who wants it more and I can tell you this; we want it badly.

Then you go out and get the result.

Talking Shit:

KS: It doesn't matter who were playing! We're going to get that "W."

0-0 draw vs a weakened team AT HOME...

That's right. It didn't matter who you were playing. The team wasn't up to the "challenge" in front of them.

Well, I guess that's true. If Vieira had already instructed the players not to post videos, and then Shelton and Lopez did it anyway, then I suppose that they deserved to be called out and suspended.

I admit that I have no way of knowing whether that's the case, and that I am just reacting to an innocent-looking display by eager young players.

Even if he had never directly said a word about it he saw something that doesn't fit into the vision he has for the culture of this club. Winning culture doesn't require posturing for social media. Rex Ryan is the coach of my beloved Buffalo Bills. He's a decent coach who talks a lot of shit to mediocre at best results. Contrast that with the hated Bill Belichick...

There is nothing to discuss. THEY WIN.

I applaud our manager for doing his job and showing ALL of us that every detail matters, respect is paramount and only take your bow when the work is done.

Mikey is an immature kid. I mean he interviews people with combs. I'm happy PV put his foot down - I doubt we'll see anyone talking shit like that again, especially considering our own performances. Confidence is one thing, but arrogance is what he demonstrated.

Mikey is an immature kid. I mean he interviews people with combs. I'm happy PV put his foot down - I doubt we'll see anyone talking shit like that again, especially considering our own performances. Confidence is one thing, but arrogance is what he demonstrated.
Calling him immature based on the obvious comedic routine he is doing for the club is a bit harsh.

I don't understand why people are saying this was Mikey and Khiry doing their thing on Snapchat. The video clear identifies the two and shows that questions were being asked. It comes from FoxSoccer website. NYCFC had to have cleared this interview and probably specifically set this up for Khiry and Mikey because they are young and fun.

Sure they might have gone a little over the line, but isn't that why NYCFC/Fox Soccer selected these two instead of a Villa or Pirlo? I love Vieira, but he overreacted.

Reactions: Ferdinand Cesarano
Mikey is a GREAT kid. I've met him. He's a great guy, very kind and very polite.

Calling him immature based on the obvious comedic routine he is doing for the club is a bit harsh.

Apologies if my post came off a bit harsh. I'm sure they are great kids, but at the end of the day they need to be professionals. The reason you don't see Villa or Pirlo saying stuff like that is because they know better. If the video was somehow sanctioned by the club before it was released and PV took it out on those 2 alone (publicly at least), then that's a whole 'nother bag of worms.

Reactions: Ulrich
Here is the original tweet:
Screenshot_20160412-173347~2.png

The video was part of FoxSports PROcast segments... a more personal look at different athletes. It was also used to promote Sunday's game. Definitely not a case of Snapchat Gone Wild.

I just feel that Khiry and Mikey were put in a bad spot. Vieira punishes them for something NYCFC knew about. Remember, the club also promoted the video on their social media (FB, twitter) only to deleted it afterwards.

Did they cross the line? OK, but in the tamest way possible. I think it was worse for Khiry because I don't think he said anything (all I heard was his giggling) and he is a starter. As for Mikey, he issued two apologies online assuming all responsibility. Stand-up guy.

Reactions: Kjbert and ktdNYCFC
I just feel that Khiry and Mikey were put in a bad spot. Vieira punishes them for something NYCFC knew about. Remember, the club also promoted the video on their social media (FB, twitter) only to deleted it afterwards.

I don't think the fact that the club promoted it themselves says that much - club social media accounts are hardly never known to do stupid things themselves, and I'm sure that (not in this case but in other instances) in situations where the social media guy tweets something particularly stupid, he will get a dressing down from his manager too. The thing is that the social media accounts don't go through the manager's office for approval first, but they frequently are forced to modify their comments because the manager or the board are concerned about the implications made. The social media guy is often just as guilty of reckless confidence as Shelton and Lopez have been here, but just because they both made the same mistake at the same time it doesn't make the error any less of an error.

I think what makes this a good or bad move is beyond our knowledge. If PV has set down rules about this stuff, it's a good move. If he's never mentioned it, then this a poor move that would have been better served with a closed door discussion followed by a clear team policy. We just don't know what has been said previously.

Agree 100%^^
People speculating based on their opinion/belief/rumors is comical and borderline sad...

Reactions: FootyLovin
Khiry and Mikey have been spending a lot of time together recently (Snapchat). Is Khiry still rooming with Mix? Is Mix alone now? I miss the Mix and Khiry snapchats.