We Cut Nemec!

Good for him, stI'll not sure why 1) he was so awful - his first touch was cringeworthy - given his prior experience and 2) why he literally disappeared without a trace midway though the season.

Best of luck to him, and we'll take the $300k and a roster spot. $300k can buy you a pretty nice MLS regular.

Reactions: Kjbert
Now that you mention it, I wonder if this move is an indication of Khiry returning to the lineup?

EDIT

Just sent Khiry a tweet. I'll let you know if he responds.

I was thinking the same thing. I know there were some tweets, etc. about him being up and about during training recently. Very interested to hear if this has anything to do with Khiry. Our season would probably look considerably different with him beside Villa over the last few months, although that only makes the Poku situation tougher. Even with Khiry, you have to find a place to start Poku.

Goes right along with the current general MLS narrative that the big names don't win games. Villa is the only big name we ever needed. If Khiry never got injured and Kreis decided to start Poku months ago I think wed be in a much different spot right now.

Question. We are allowed to buy out the contract of one player in the off season and have it not count against our cap space. For a long while everyone assumed this would be Nemec. Presumably, this arrangement now means we've already saved Nemec's cap space for next season and we can buy out someone else and preserve his cap space. Correct?

Question. We are allowed to buy out the contract of one player in the off season and have it not count against our cap space. For a long while everyone assumed this would be Nemec. Presumably, this arrangement now means we've already saved Nemec's cap space for next season and we can buy out someone else and preserve his cap space. Correct?
Yeah I think that is how this arrangement works.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...aterson-terminate-contract-20150803-post.html

Here is an article for reference written by Paul Tonerio (only writes Orlando but does a great job I wish he worked in NY) on how Orlando mutual agreed to terminate Martin Patersons contract on Aug 5th and it saved them $150k and an international spot.

I would think that since we terminated his contract before Sept 16th it's possible it prorates the cap space for the rest of this season. So it is possible we have more cap space to sign a player who is on free. I don't think that will happen and it is also possible that since it's outside of MLS transfer window that isn't the case. I am not sure. Either way it should come off the books for 2015 and allow us to buy out another contract next season which looking at the numbers on the books we have plenty of options.

With this move I'd like to see us learn from our mistakes and follow in LA Galaxy's footsteps. That $300k can go a long way in getting us a great player. Sebastian Lleget may be one of the better signings that LA has made this year. He's 22 and his salary is only $100k. We need a good young talent to fit in with our older DPs

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert
Maybe Kreis was speaking about him?
Nah, Nemec was done with this team a while back. I still maintain that he was mostly speaking about Pirlo. If you remember Kreis didn't want Pirlo. He wanted Movsisiyan in the midfield.

With this move I'd like to see us learn from our mistakes and follow in LA Galaxy's footsteps. That $300k can go a long way in getting us a great player. Sebastian Lleget may be one of the better signings that LA has made this year. He's 22 and his salary is only $100k. We need a good young talent to fit in with our older DPs
LLetget is an outlier though. He was very very poor overseas and injured quite often. He probably had some inside relationship with the Galaxy and they knew that he would be a decent mid in MLS. They never thought he would work this well but again that is what happens when you have a TEAM and not just a collection of players.

With the 330k in savings, we'll end up with another Calle, Mendoza or Mena.

Or maybe another Poku. Let's not be too critical of our scouting.

Whats an acceptable success rate with scouting by my count we are 1/5? With Poku being a huge win and Mendoza, Calle, Alverez and Nemec being misses. Granted Alverez may have been less scouting and more Villa. Calle being a bust is more about injuries than talent but the injury concern was a known as he has a history with them. I honestly don't know the answer to the question, I might be inclined to support a 20% success rate if the 1 hit in every 5 chances was as promising as Poku every time.

One interesting thing is that each part of the puzzle seems to own one of the biggest misses. Mendoza came from South America an area Kries is known to scout heavily so that one's probably on him and with Nemec coming from Europe that one is more likely on CFG.

LLetget is an outlier though. He was very very poor overseas and injured quite often. He probably had some inside relationship with the Galaxy and they knew that he would be a decent mid in MLS. They never thought he would work this well but again that is what happens when you have a TEAM and not just a collection of players.
Lletget killed it in the West Ham system. The youth coaches loved him. Big Sam just wouldn't give him a shot. By the time they decided they wanted to play modern football, he was pretty unfairly busted out by the system, not his talent or skill.

I was calling for us to go for him in our early roster building stages, as it was apparent he was not going to re-sign there. I do think it was best for him to go back to Cali and play with a good team, though. So that characterization I can agree with. I just think it's unfair to call him "very very poor" overseas. The guy made the EPL match bench multiple times as a 19-20 year old. He wasn't an unknown, awful player. He pretty much lit up any time he played reserve matches. I think most West Ham supporters couldn't understand why he wasn't getting a game with the first team.

Whats an acceptable success rate with scouting by my count we are 1/5? With Poku being a huge win and Mendoza, Calle, Alverez and Nemec being misses. Granted Alverez may have been less scouting and more Villa. Calle being a bust is more about injuries than talent but the injury concern was a known as he has a history with them. I honestly don't know the answer to the question, I might be inclined to support a 20% success rate if the 1 hit in every 5 chances was as promising as Poku every time.

One interesting thing is that each part of the puzzle seems to own one of the biggest misses. Mendoza came from South America an area Kries is known to scout heavily so that one's probably on him and with Nemec coming from Europe that one is more likely on CFG.
I'd count Mena as a hit.