What I Gathered From The Game Fan Wise

1. Amazing to see such a diverse, passionate fanbase. Having followed lower league English football (old white people) most of my life, it was great to see old, young, male, female, black, white, Hispanic, Asian fans all losing their minds together.

2. A lot of newcomers to the game - the way the crowd reacted to some of the major events of the game (1-on-1's, bad fouls, breakaways etc) you'd think they almost hadn't happened. But that indifference is going to disappear as people get a feel for the game, and I'm excited for people to get their first taste for the game in such a cool environment.

3. The songs and chants are going to take a long, long time. I was stood in front of some Third Rail guys who thought "Kick him in the dick" was the funniest thing ever devised in a sports stadium, and went with it every couple of minutes. When I turned round and mentioned it, one of them started rambling on about how MLS traditions were different from English ones, which was pretty confusing. Still, nothing more confusing than hearing a stand full of Americans shouting "The referee's a wanker"

In Yankee Tavern before the game, saw a very young, mostly white crowd. A friend said they felt like they were back in college. Not necessarily a bad thing, a lot of enthusiasm, but kind of a fratty vibe. In section 305, heard a lot of Spanish. Shouts of "Amarillo!" at every 1st half New England foul, etc. All in all, a great time. Heard a lot of NE supporters section chanting in 1st half, not so much in the second. The only chants that seemed to make their way around the stadium were "NYC . . NYC . . NYC" and "OLE" etc. But I heard a lot of "from the Bronx all the way down to the battery" on Metro North before and after. That one is gonna stick, I think. Somewhat disappointed not to hear the famous David Villa chant after he had such a great game, but overall I felt the atmosphere was pretty good.

This is the mls fan dome and why our demo is highly sought after by marketing. When I went to last week's game at the citrus bowl. It was 95% young adults from the ages of 18 to 30. I never seen anything like it. This is why mls is in good standing because of the young crowd fans that have disposable income. I love it, it was great to see.

I sat next to a couple of Madridistas.

We're going to be a big fucking deal, if City can stop stomping on their own dicks.

Eta: scratch that. We're going to be a big deal either way. City just needs to get on board and stop managing us like a community theatre production.

Also, gotta say - don't think I'll be pre-gaming in Billy's much this season. Multi-level bro warehouses playing EDM remixes of Hotel California are not really my vibe.
Dude, the Dugout is where the in the know folks go. No wait for beers.

Just don't order s shot. They charge $10 for a thimble of Jack Daniels.

I was very surprised to get a buyback at Yankee tavern. Ordered three beers and three shots, bartender informed me that one of the shots was on him, and after receiving a proper tip threw another free shot our way as well. Goes a long way towards making up for the thimble-sized shots.

Pro tip: ask for your whiskey neat as opposed to in a shot and you will get a better pour.

Reactions: Goodfella
Chants and songs will take awhile to develop organically and I was delighted that there was no canned music over the PA. I think there is a place for third rail to maybe see if they could try some cues from stadium PA. "Just can't get enough" at Celtic and "You'll never walk alone" usually start w some music on PA. Especially if any hope of developing a pre-kickoff song. Very impressed with supporters section contribution to Star Spangled Banner.

In Yankee Tavern before the game, saw a very young, mostly white crowd. A friend said they felt like they were back in college. Not necessarily a bad thing, a lot of enthusiasm, but kind of a fratty vibe. In section 305, heard a lot of Spanish. Shouts of "Amarillo!" at every 1st half New England foul, etc. All in all, a great time. Heard a lot of NE supporters section chanting in 1st half, not so much in the second. The only chants that seemed to make their way around the stadium were "NYC . . NYC . . NYC" and "OLE" etc. But I heard a lot of "from the Bronx all the way down to the battery" on Metro North before and after. That one is gonna stick, I think. Somewhat disappointed not to hear the famous David Villa chant after he had such a great game, but overall I felt the atmosphere was pretty good.

I concur with you in your post and I join you in your disappointment too -not hearing the Villa Chant .

I am not good at poetry and rhyming but here is my chant.

OLE, OLE , OLE OOLEO LEO , LEI CAPITAN VILLA IS THE BEST,

OLE OLE, OOLEO LEO ,LEI NYC IS MLS BEST

Reactions: Lasker
They really need to play New York, New York at the end of matches. We stayed at our seats waiting for it, and it never came.

It's such a part of Yankee Stadium for me, and it's perfect background music for the players to leave the pitch to.

92rFecxaAR

They really need to play New York, New York at the end of matches. We stayed at our seats waiting for it, and it never came.

It's such a part of Yankee Stadium for me, and it's perfect background music for the players to leave the pitch to.
I was just going to ask if they played that, was there another song that was played after the game?

Reactions: kylelovescrayons
Positive experience on the whole. Biggest pet peeve: there are still some people standing in the aisles - policemen and a "team member" of some sort; can't tell what on earth they are doing besides watching the game and blocking everyone's view behind them.

I sat across from the supporters group. Great first banner by Third Rail; well done. I would like to join in on more of the chants but couldn't always determine what they were singing.

Getting into the stadium: excellent - fast fluid and friendly

Half-time - too congested in parts. I think they should try and move some of the carts in the middle of the concession area so there is more room to maneuver.

Hope Nemec's time gets cut in by the three other forwards (besides Villa)

PS - Great job grounds crew on grass; it looked way better than it did for Man City over the summer!

Last edited:
I was just going to ask if they played that, was there another song that was played after the game?
They eventually played some random top-40-hip-hop song or something. Nothing with any meaning to me anyway, as evidenced by my not remembering what it was.

Reactions: Falastur and FCRU
Had a great time sitting in Sect 104. Loved the seats, great view from behind the benches and had some passionate and intelligent fans around. One guy did well to get the knick-knack chant going a few times, other than that it was a few scattered NYC, NYC, NYC chants and some David Villa chants after he scored. Couldn't hear the Third Rail section very well from over there except for a couple of times. Overall it was great and is only going to get better. Hugging and high fiving all around after both goals too, great way to start!

Reactions: drago42e