What Players Other Than Villa And Mix Are Mls Caliber?

Midas Mulligan

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Apr 29, 2014
NYC
I think Mullins is, when surrounded by better quality. Saunders has been great at stopping shots, but I think he's far below average elsewhere.

Shelton's one trick has apparently been figured out, so I think he's definitely only a sub at this point.

Everywhere else I look, I see players who are awful. And at every (okay, most every) other team, I see players we could have had that we passed on in favor of these guys.

Some of these guys we play, we gave up assets for.

Reactions: adam and einwindir
Mullins, as I said on the other thread, gosh this is a tough question. Shelton will take time. It's an expansion team, 2 DPs, the first NYCFC pick in the expansion draft and the first pick in the MLS draft, really I'm not sure we should expect any of the others to be MLS Playoff caliber. Grabavoy was good in the pre-season, I guess he's decent sometimes.

Reactions: northernburbs
It's difficult to really answer your question because, as other have pointed out, all of these players look worse from being surrounded by players that not only are average to below average, but don't have the luxury of being on a team that has been together for a couple seasons and know each other and the system. I believe many people greatly discount, or even forget about completely, that second factor. Fortunately, that will improve as the season goes along, but the talent won't, except for the raw guys like Shelton.
We have a team full of players who, if on a better team, would perform much better as a result. You can get away with having 1 or 2 of those players on the field, but when you have 5-9 of them on the field at once, you get what we are seeing. The only way to truly fix this problem is to keep building this team over the next couple years. Unfortunately this is not Europe where you can pretty much rebuild your roster with elite players during the offseason. MLS' roster and player acquisition constraints makes that impossible. If you look at other successful teams in this league, you will notice that the team was put together over a long period. You will see a player who was drafted 7 years and developed into a star, another 5 years ago, another 4 and another 2 years ago. Then you may see a homegrown player who developed into something. You will see other players who were acquired in various ways over the course of several years and then it will be topped off with a very well picked DP or two. You don't see any great MLS sides these days that have been overhauled completely, let alone built from nothing over the course of an offseason. It will take so many years for us to be able to compete on an equal playing ground with the rest of the league. For the time being, we need to master the use of the DP rule and catch a few breaks along the way.
One of the biggest things that has frustrated me has been our passing and off-the-ball runs. Too often we see two or three players that are on a completely different page. The result is passes to nobody or an opponent, or somebody not making a run that a player expected, or a player making a run and not getting the pass from a teammate. It often makes the players look incompetent, but much of it is the result of a lack of familiarity. And our backline, damn, it's been rough. It's mostly just momentary breakdowns where somebody magically becomes wide open with the ball in front of Saunders. Sure, we don't have great defenders, but again they are not familiar with each other and they have to pay for that. This part will get better, and hopefully very quickly. This is the problem that makes it difficult to really say who is of MLS quality, because the situation really does make everybody look worse.
Take any of one our regular starters out of our lineup and put them into a top teams lineup, they will all rate much higher.

Last edited:
Mullins. Shelton as an MLS caliber sub, if that's something you would consider. Everyone else nope. Except for Mac and Poku who haven't really gotten much time to show what they got. I mean I guess I would go as far as to say Poku has at least been a good sub, but that's it.

Had a solid discussion with @roxfontaine and @Section1Guy about this after today's game, figured I'd offer it up here. As an expansion franchise, it's clear that the talent of NYCFC just simply isn't up to par with most of the teams in the MLS. Our question: How many players on NYCFC (other than the two DPs) would be legitimate starters on other MLS teams?

Since we're talking non-DPs, Villa and Lampard (ha) are not included. I think any DP in the MLS would start on almost any team.

In my opinion, Mix is a non-DP, so he is one. Josh Saunders is two. Hernandez three on most days. Maybe Ballouchy? Khiry would be a good super sub on most teams, but definitely not a starter. Grabavoy no in my opinion. Is anyone else even in the discussion?

If it's really just three or four, that's very sad. In our discussion, we came up with the idea that even average play is now acceptable for us. Not talking trash about the team or any players, but after no wins in 10 games, it's clear that there's a solid gap between us and everyone else.

And as a fun little side note, in my opinion, on Seattle, NYCFC would have zero starters.

This is the most insane thing I've ever read.

Read it again? They said "his" season. He was interested, made a few decent deliveries, and through some combination of competent positioning and the obvious choice for RSL to continually arrack down Facey's side, he was ok. He was a 5 or 6 out of 10. I don't think many would dispute that's his absolute ceiling but it was a good game for him. Certainly covered himself in more glory than Hernandez and Facey.

Reactions: TommyM and The Toe
Read it again? They said "his" season. He was interested, made a few decent deliveries, and through some combination of competent positioning and the obvious choice for RSL to continually arrack down Facey's side, he was ok. He was a 5 or 6 out of 10. I don't think many would dispute that's his absolute ceiling but it was a good game for him. Certainly covered himself in more glory than Hernandez and Facey.
He headed hospital ball to Saunders for a golden chance would like to say something.

Reactions: TommyM
He headed hospital ball to Saunders for a golden chance would like to say something.
And that was really the only misplay he had defensively. Most of the goals this season have been let up by the CBs. He had more crosses than anyone in the midfield. Had one of the few 1-2 combinations the entire game, and probably one of the most successful runs any defender has made all season in the attacking third. It's the center of our defense that let us down mostly. It's almost like they'd be better with a sweeper.

And that was really the only misplay he had defensively. Most of the goals this season have been let up by the CBs. He had more crosses than anyone in the midfield. Had one of the few 1-2 combinations the entire game, and probably one of the most successful runs any defender has made all season in the attacking third. It's the center of our defense that let us down mostly. It's almost like they'd be better with a sweeper.
Don't forget wingert in there, I would assess primary blame to him on the second goal and facey on the first. At least they never give up, according to coach. Imagine if they did?

The team lacks enough players at peak athleticism to get wins against most MLS teams.

With acknowledgement that a solid handful of players on the team need a chance to develop before they are judged, MLS season long quality starters for this season - Forwards (1 or 2); Midfielders (1 or 2); Defenders (1 or 2); Goalkeepers (1). Team needs more impactful MFs and a starting RB but could get upgrades at most positions.

David - I don't blame him. Opponents put 3 / 4 players on him and say "NYCFC have someone else beat me". We need another DP forward and MFs to step up. In light of record, I expect the club to deliver 3rd DP during transfer window.

Adam - As much criticism as he received, he's the second best forward on this team and has been solid as a target forward. I thought he was healthy so don't understand why he hasn't been given an opportunity to play. He needs two solid years with team before judging him.

Patrick - Quality sub forward option; hasn't shown he is a starter

Tony - Out for the season, maybe longer

Khiry - Super sub; shown strong talent but better off the bench as a forward or winger; habit of dribbling into pressure and losing ball (perhaps stuff he could get away with in college but not the pros)

Frank - As soon as Man City's game ends (just getting started), he should be on first flight out -- he's not played in games much but should be fit and he should start against Houston (I'm not saying this will happen but it should happen).

Mix - has been disappointing; expected more; needs to show more impact in offensive third

AJ - strong at times but sometimes inconsistent and not impact player like Osvaldo Alonso, Beckerman or Jones. Ideally a team has a player like one of them as d-mid

Ned - one of the most under-rated players in MLS history but past his prime and not long-term option; at this stage in his career, he would not start on stronger teams

Mehdi - having one of his stronger years as a professional player -- and happy for him after suffering two ACL tears -- but goes through large portions of games having no impact

Pablo - I would give him a chance to start again; did not play that well against Chicago but has been best player on the field for at least one game this season; he's 35 so you get what you can from him

Poku - along with Khiry, brought most energy off the bench this season; it must be his inconsistent passing that doesn't get him into starting role. Would like him to get more minutes.

Tian - talented but inconsistent; can't seem to beat out Mehdi for starting role

Tom - might become quality sub option; don't see him as a starter

Matt - I haven't seen him play and I don't know if I will; may get season long loan to Wilmington

Jason - has been the team's best defender but don't think he would start on most MLS teams

Chris - has done surprisingly well as centerback (credit to him) but don't think he would start on most MLS teams

Jeb - after bad start has been among the more improved players but don't think he would start on most MLS teams

Javier - too bad he got injured because was showing well when transitioned from MF (where he struggled with stamina) to OB; shot selection is wild but otherwise showed strong soccer IQ

George - was a strong MLS starter but need to see where he is at after career threatening injury; hard to imagine he couldn't start at CB but it depends on his recovery

Kwame - solid CB backup but can't beat out Jason or Chris ('nuff said)

Andres - a lot projected on potential role but never made 18 and waived

Josh W. - been inconsistent; health issues may be contributing

Shay - must have gotten last opportunity last night; will head back to England

RJ - needs more time to adjust but have not liked what I've seen so far

Connor - needs time to develop; first minutes yesterday in garbage time

Josh S. - been best player on team this season; deserves more support -- has only made a few bad plays this season -- virtually unhuman performance; MLS starter for sure

Ryan - nice local kid who has struggled with injuries and opportunities to play / develop; our team does not need 4 GKs; he should get loaned out

Akira - haven't seen him play and hopefully won't have to

Eirik - haven't seen him play and hopefully won't have to

Last edited:
Answering this question is tough, because soccer is a team sport. I think there are a handful of players on our roster that would cut it on the right team. Hernandez would be fine with a strong CB partner. Mix would be tremendous with additional midfield help so he didn't have to sit so deep. Nemec would be perfect on a team that crossed the ball a lot (which we didn't do when he was starting and now do while he's on the bench, for some reason).

Even Grabavoy and Ballouchy could have enough moments on the field to keep a starting spot - if they had chemistry with better players around them.

The problem seems to be that we have no core. We have a bunch of role players. And the sum is not greater than the sum of it's parts, it's less, because everyone's value is dependent on their chemistry with a non-existing core.

Kreis was so focused on chemistry that we forgot about talent. Everyone is looking for someone else to do something, and therefore nothing happens.

Therefore, as far as I'm concerned, everyone on the roster could potentially be replaced - none are MLS caliber on their own, except probably Villa and Mix. Our team need is literally "better players."

Use DP on a defensive mid or centerback. Then things will change. Wasting our DP on another attacking player is not the key.

Of the younger players (under the age of 30), my opinion is that Mullins, McNamara, Calle and Shelton are all MLS caliber players. Mullins and McNamara both have the technical ability, both have great work rates and both have fairly high soccer IQ's. With more minutes and in the right roles (Mullins up top and McNamara at CAM) I think they are both MLS starting quality.

Calle has good technical ability and a great left foot. He's also shown the ability to defend one on one at the left back position, and to get forward and whip some good balls into the box. Granted, his shot selection leaves something to be desired but hopefully he tones that down. The only real questions I have about him are his fitness and durability. Unfortunately, those are some pretty big questions that need to be answered.

Shelton has all the physical tools. I think part of the problem is that in college his speed and athletic ability allowed him to just run by guys. He didn't need to work on the other aspects of his game in order to beat defenders. But I don't care how fast you are, a good pro defender is going to be able to figure out ways to stop you if you just show him the ball and try to run by him every time. Shelton needs to work on his first touch and his weak foot, and he also needs to develop a move other than push the ball straight ahead and run after it as fast as you can. If he can do those things then I'm pretty certain he will also be an MLS caliber player

You know, everyone talking about throwing a DP spot to a defender.... We've only given up more than two goals once the whole season. We've scored 2 goals in a game twice. That is atrocious. We're the lowest scoring team in the league. We need more help on offense than we do defense.

Reactions: Gavin23
You know, everyone talking about throwing a DP spot to a defender.... We've only given up more than two goals once the whole season. We've scored 2 goals in a game twice. That is atrocious. We're the lowest scoring team in the league. We need more help on offense than we do defense.
Its not just about the amount of goals given up. Its about the stupid mistakes, poor marking, and poor overall play of the back line.

Did you see the game last night? Did you hear the color commentator call one of our players actions stupid after an unnecessary blind clearance that almost lead to a goal? Remember in the first half...I forget who it was...but while facing goal with no attackers near him, one of our defenders tried to clear the ball with an over head kick. Of course it went right to the front line of Real Salt Lake, and Saunders had to bail us out yes again.

When I saw that clearance attempt though, I knew it would be a long night. Thats just poor...and lacks awareness. He had all day to turn around and pass the ball or properly clear it...but nope. If it wasnt for Saunders this team would have easily given up twice as many goals.