Why The Players We Expect To Leave Wont

sbrylski

Registered
Apr 24, 2014
I'm guessing not, but is there anyway to know which of our players have guaranteed v. semi-guaranteed contracts? There is a significant deadline coming up tomorrow with which to clear cap space by cutting semi-guaranteed players:

(III.) METHODS OF RELEASING PLAYERS
(A) WAIVERS

Clubs may waive players based on performance at any time during the MLS season. Players with guaranteed contracts will continue to have their salary budget charge applied to the club salary budget, subject to any settlement. Players on Semi-Guaranteed Contracts can be waived prior to July 1 of any year and free up the corresponding budget space. If a player on a Semi-Guaranteed Contract is waived after July 1, his salary budget charge will continue to count against the team’s salary budget. Any settlement amount will be charged to the club’s salary budget.

http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/roster-rules-and-regulations

We might hear about some more players placed on waivers tomorrow.

Note that if you weren't aware, players with guaranteed contracts will count against the cap even if they are cut, provided they are in the top 20 highest paid players on the roster.

Move this to its own post as it's very important information.
The contracts affecting salary cap is exactly why RSl guys stay. And why players like Brandt, Kwane and other lower salary guys probably go.
Sucks

Thanks, and great title. I should have made this its own post.

That said, you might be making a jump - we don't really know whose contracts are fully guaranteed. I'm trying to do some digging, but can't find much for numbers on this. Just this insightful article from 2012 interviewing a player unhappy with semi-guaranteed contracts (http://www.examiner.com/article/denmark-s-rajko-lekic-semi-guaranteed-mls-contracts-too-risky) and another one from 2010 that says "80% of the contracts are only semi-guaranteed," but that figure could have changed drastically since then (http://sportsagentblog.com/2010/02/01/mls-collective-bargaining-agreement/).

I wonder if Nemec's contract was fully guaranteed. He has only been available off the bench once in our five June games. Seems like they're ready to cut him loose.

Last edited:
Is our salary list posted somewhere? I know MLS isn't super transparent, but it seems like there are 2014 numbers floating around. I just can't find anything for 2015.

Any sort of positivity I might have had after yesterday is dwindling. We're stuck with those guys? Ffs

I would bet that most of the people we see on a regular basis will stay on the squad, while the ones we've never (or very rarely) seen on the pitch will go.
Es.g. Matt Dunn and Akira Fitzgerald.
If I'm right, look for Connor Brandt (one appearance for nine minutes) on the waiver list.

I would bet that most of the people we see on a regular basis will stay on the squad, while the ones we've never (or very rarely) seen on the pitch will go.
If I'm right, look for Connor Brandt (one appearance for nine minutes) on the waiver list.

I feel like all of our picks, except Shelton, were a waste if we cut everyone and thus our staff did a piss poor job scouting them.

Reactions: Paul and SayWhat44

But Brandt's salary is surely one of the lowest 8 on the roster, so it doesn't even count for the cap right now. If we make any cuts to free up cap room, it'll be someone that's paid a decent amount (top 20) on a non-guaranteed deal. We really have no idea who gets non-guaranteed contracts and who get guaranteed contracts.

I feel like all of our picks, except Shelton, were a waste if we cut everyone and thus our staff did a piss poor job scouting them.
That may be true, but on the other hand this wasn't like the NFL college draft where you pick from the best. It was more that you pick from the ones that the other clubs were willing to not protect. Sure there's a chance to get some unexpectedly good players but odds are you get perhaps decent players. Sort of a take-what-you-can-get situation to build a team from. And that's exactly what we have. And they're working on it.

But Brandt's salary is surely one of the lowest 8 on the roster, so it doesn't even count for the cap right now. If we make any cuts to free up cap room, it'll be someone that's paid a decent amount (top 20) on a non-guaranteed deal. We really have no idea who gets non-guaranteed contracts and who get guaranteed contracts.
Another MLS random rule. Lowest 8 contracts do not affect cap.

... And why players like Brandt, Kwane and other lower salary guys probably go.
Sucks
I can't understand what sucks about KWS going, except that he's probably a nice guy and won't be able to pay his rent. The only good thing he's done for us is pick up a red card that kept him out of a game...

I can't understand what sucks about KWS going, except that he's probably a nice guy and won't be able to pay his rent. The only good thing he's done for us is pick up a red card that kept him out of a game...
Haha I meant it more in the sense that RSL guys stay instead. And that sucks.

Haha I meant it more in the sense that RSL guys stay instead. And that sucks.
I understand, although I'll take Neddie over KWS anyday, even at this late stage in his career... KWS is a disaster.

Ballouchy is one of my favorite players on the team at this stage of the game. He's really been playing well. Especially when you compare him to other players on the team.

Which means he'll get cut from the team or something like that.

Reactions: TommyM and PB3
That may be true, but on the other hand this wasn't like the NFL college draft where you pick from the best. It was more that you pick from the ones that the other clubs were willing to not protect. Sure there's a chance to get some unexpectedly good players but odds are you get perhaps decent players. Sort of a take-what-you-can-get situation to build a team from. And that's exactly what we have. And they're working on it.

Well, Brandt was our second pick in the super draft (i.e. not the dispersal draft). Since I am still fairly new to MLS (and this is the first season I paid attention to draft picks), I'm not sure what teams typically expect from a second round super draft pick. Glancing at the other picks second round, there aren't any names that are jumping out at me.

Also, for point of reference, a little while back I tried to summarize our acquisition history

Well, Brandt was our second pick in the super draft (i.e. not the dispersal draft). Since I am still fairly new to MLS (and this is the first season I paid attention to draft picks), I'm not sure what teams typically expect from a second round super draft pick. Glancing at the other picks second round, there aren't any names that are jumping out at me.

Also, for point of reference, a little while back I tried to summarize our acquisition history

If you want to update that I can make it its own post and sticky it under roster? Just tag me if you do.

Reactions: sbrylski