Win! (Sports Documentary)-- Who's going to the Tribeca Film Festival screenings?

LionNYC LionNYC canchon canchon You guys are dead on. I had the very same reaction while watching. Kreis was in way over his head with the task at hand. Forget about the difficulties of constructing a new MLS team. You had the combination of a massive international football network, a team in the world's greatest and most intense market, and some of the biggest personalities in soccer history. You need the right guy, with the right confidence, poise and personality to handle those challenges in that environment. He seemed to be falling apart throughout. He clearly gave it his all and poured his heart and soul into the team (at least early on), but he was not the right fit to operate under those circumstances. It was a difficult spot, and the wrong guy.

And his interactions with the players, particularly the stars, was kind of awkward and uncomfortable at times. I am not sure Villa was very impressed with his "be a fucking dick" pep talks. Again, a sharp contrast with the rapport PV has with his players.

100% agree with the "be a fucking dick" talk. You think any manager in Europe talked that way to Villa? Vieira has instilled the understanding that everyone on NYCFC is equal and needs to do everything for the club, not the individual. Villa is as important as Connor Brandt and Andre Rawls or the guy photographing them at practice.

In Manchester, Vieira didn't have any control of his roster or players. His job was to improve the players (youth) he was given. Does anyone think that Vieira's job description is different than Kreis's last year?

Is Vieira as involved in player acquistion and roster building? Or is he leaving the work to Reyna and CFG?

Reactions: shane88 and JayH
In Manchester, Vieira didn't have any control of his roster or players. His job was to improve the players (youth) he was given. Does anyone think that Vieira's job description is different than Kreis's last year?

Is Vieira as involved in player acquistion and roster building? Or is he leaving the work to Reyna and CFG?

I say CFG will have the majority say on what happens with player recruitment globally itself in how they scout for example but the likes of Reyna and Vieira will have a say, to me the CFG are basically the higher up of the Director of Football (Reyna)

My understanding is that the scouting for Man City, Melbourne and NYCFC globally are linked as one (CFG), you will though have individual scouts for teams to scout opponents, key players etc.... What they will do is say for example is Player A be suited for this team, Player B will be suited for this team etc, they be shortlisted and presented to NYCFC, Vieira and Reyna will have a say on which players (In the movie win you notice it a bit) I think though maybe Reyna could have more say on domestic players generally

One other thing I forgot was the sequence from inside the locker room at halftime of the first game...Kreis laid into the team and you could see everyone sitting around looking dejected and spent...its the first half of the first game of the season - and a game that they are winning 1-0! And then at the end Kreis said "isn't that right David" and David just stared back at him. Ouch.

One other thing I forgot was the sequence from inside the locker room at halftime of the first game...Kreis laid into the team and you could see everyone sitting around looking dejected and spent...its the first half of the first game of the season - and a game that they are winning 1-0! And then at the end Kreis said "isn't that right David" and David just stared back at him. Ouch.
Yeah, managing (stroking) egos and lifting a team's energy, enthusiasm, & focus are marks of truly successful managers - to convince the players to run through a brick wall without hesitation. Some managers can inspire like that - Alex Ferguson, Vince Lombardi, Knute Rockne, Herb Brooks, Bill Belichick, Bill Parcells, and lots of others..... but Kreis does not have the charisma or poetic ease, in any way, shape, or form, to inspire greatness in players.

Right - way to pump up the team, you guys are terrible, and if you continue playing like that you are going nowhere tonight or this season. But thank fucking god you are up 1-0. Now go out there and do better. Fail.

Reactions: canchon
The Pellegrini Lampard scene was pretty funny/painful.
This scene?

lLLCUVf.png

I know I'm late to the game, but YES showed the movie after Saturday's match, and I finally got around to watching it.... I'll try not to rehash everything everybody has said, but holy hell some of that footage just left me with a WTF/jaw-dropped response. Random musings in no particular order:

Kreis' comment after the draft, "I'm the happiest person in the world, I got everybody I wanted." - almost threw the remote at the tv.

The immediate look of despair on Lampard's face when he first witnessed his new teammates practicing at MCFC. Such a WTF have I done look, and his assessment of them was about as non-committing/distant as he could be while not being an ass.

Seemed that Reyna was really caught by surprise at how much interference CFG put up with regard to Lampard's prolonged loan. He looked gutted.

Didn't realize how unhappy Villa was with going to Austrailia - almost like CFG sprung it on him, or at least changed some details. When he told his manager that either he or somebody else in the car was coming with him (as support), and then when he complained about all of the PR events while not knowing English, it really seemed like he felt as though he was being taken advantage of. Was very refreshing to see how badly he wanted to learn English.

Kreis is a horrible motivator in the locker room. That part about "going to Plan B, but we always knew we'd go to Plan B," was asinine and didn't exactly instill confidence. And can he say a sentence, just one, that doesn't use the word Fck, when trying to give direction/motivate?

Loved the greeting the MCFC fans gave Reyna at the stadium - shoving their beers to his mouth was telling how much they liked & appreciated him.

Telling that nearly every time it was a locker room scene, Villa was sitting back in his locker - almost like he just wanted his privacy / tune out Kreis.

Grabavoy:
Interesting that the coaching staff knew he was an injury waiting to happen every year, and they still made him a priority.
Doubly interesting how adamant Grabavoy was to be a "leader" at training. That, and his "tough-guy" attitude, seemed really contrived/forced.

Kreis is a horrible motivator in the locker room. That part about "going to Plan B, but we always knew we'd go to Plan B," was asinine and didn't exactly instill confidence. And can he say a sentence, just one, that doesn't use the word Fck, when trying to give direction/motivate?
I don't mind coaches swearing a lot, and I feel as though it happens in sports quite often, but when Kreis would swear, it seemed so unnatural and forced. Almost like he read some coaching manual somewhere that said, "as a coach, be sure to use profanity around your players", and tried to insert f bombs wherever he could.

I still haven't seen this. I missed it after the game hoping to catch it on Thursday.