World Cup Qualifying - 2018 Russia

SoupInNYC

Registered
Elite Donor
Mar 9, 2015
UES
I've gotten really, really good at procrastinating at work as I have assembled a spreadsheet following all the different confederations in World Cup Qualifying. Tomorrow is a big day.

Teams that can qualify for the finals:
  • Brazil (with a win at home over Ecuador)
  • Japan (with a win at home over Australia)
Teams that can be eliminated tomorrow (not going to get into those scenarios because there are too many at the moment):
  • Belarus
  • Luxembourg
  • Hungary
  • Faroe Islands
  • Latvia
  • Andorra
  • Estonia
  • Gibraltar
  • Syria
  • China
  • Qatar
Interesting thing is Portugal and Switzerland can cut down their group to just 2 remaining with 3 games to play. Some other important matches include Argentina-Uruguay, Brazil-Ecuador, France-Netherlands, Bulgaria-Sweden, Japan-Australia, Uganda-Egypt (a result by Egypt here really, really hurts Ghana).

Wish I was home all day tomorrow.

ETA: only teams qualified at the moment are Russia and Iran

Reactions: sbrylski
Also, my predictions for remaining qualifiers:

CONMEBOL: Brazil, Uruguay, Colombia, Chile, Argentina (via playoff win over New Zealand)
CONCACAF: Mexico, Costa Rica, USA, Panama (via playoff win over Saudi Arabia)
UEFA Group Winners: France, Switzerland, Germany, Ireland, Poland, England, Spain, Belgium, Iceland
UEFA Group Runners Up (paired against each other in home-away playoffs to be drawn): Sweden, Portugal, Northern Ireland, Serbia, Slovakia, Italy, Greece, Croatia
AFC: Iran, South Korea, Japan, Australia
CAF: DR Congo, Nigeria, Ivory Coast, South Africa, Egypt

Reactions: sbrylski
I've gotten really, really good at procrastinating at work as I have assembled a spreadsheet following all the different confederations in World Cup Qualifying. Tomorrow is a big day.

Teams that can qualify for the finals:
  • Brazil (with a win at home over Ecuador)
  • Japan (with a win at home over Australia)
Teams that can be eliminated tomorrow (not going to get into those scenarios because there are too many at the moment):
  • Belarus
  • Luxembourg
  • Hungary
  • Faroe Islands
  • Latvia
  • Andorra
  • Estonia
  • Gibraltar
  • Syria
  • China
  • Qatar
Interesting thing is Portugal and Switzerland can cut down their group to just 2 remaining with 3 games to play. Some other important matches include Argentina-Uruguay, Brazil-Ecuador, France-Netherlands, Bulgaria-Sweden, Japan-Australia, Uganda-Egypt (a result by Egypt here really, really hurts Ghana).

Wish I was home all day tomorrow.

ETA: only teams qualified at the moment are Russia and Iran

It's crazy that with just two games to go in AFC qualifying, Syria still has a chance to advance to the World Cup. That would be something. They'll need to take care of Qatar, and then somehow beat Iran to have a chance though. Could even squeak in with a draw against Iran if the other chips fall correctly.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Also, my predictions for remaining qualifiers:

CONMEBOL: Brazil, Uruguay, Colombia, Chile, Argentina (via playoff win over New Zealand)
CONCACAF: Mexico, Costa Rica, USA, Panama (via playoff win over Saudi Arabia)
UEFA Group Winners: France, Switzerland, Germany, Ireland, Poland, England, Spain, Belgium, Iceland
UEFA Group Runners Up (paired against each other in home-away playoffs to be drawn): Sweden, Portugal, Northern Ireland, Serbia, Slovakia, Italy, Greece, Croatia
AFC: Iran, South Korea, Japan, Australia
CAF: DR Congo, Nigeria, Ivory Coast, South Africa, Egypt

inb4 Portugal v Italy draw for qualifying playoff.

It's crazy that with just two games to go in AFC qualifying, Syria still has a chance to advance to the World Cup. That would be something. They'll need to take care of Qatar, and then somehow beat Iran to have a chance though. Could even squeak in with a draw against Iran if the other chips fall correctly.
Yup. And they may have a decent shot at getting a result against Iran since Iran has already qualified. Who knows what kind of lineup Iran will run out there.

inb4 Portugal v Italy draw for qualifying playoff.
Yeah, I would say picking from those 8, I would take Portugal, Italy, Northern Ireland, and I think Serbia (more iffy on this one), but who knows what the draws would end up looking like.

If Iran is already qualified, I could easily see them throwing the match vs Syria if that's all it takes to get them in and keep out another regional foe.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Italy > Spain
I have both of them finishing even on points in the group, with Spain edging Italy out on GD only due to the fact that they already have a GD of +18 to Italy's +14. Throw in they only have one remaining match against each other and its in Spain (though I have it ending in a draw), I'm giving Spain the advantage. But that match on Saturday most likely will decide the group winner.

ETA: I'm also predisposed to root for Spain now, with their inclusion of Villa. But I'm also predisposed to root against Italy for their exclusion of Giovinco. (other than those two factors, I could care less)

I have both of them finishing even on points in the group, with Spain edging Italy out on GD only due to the fact that they already have a GD of +18 to Italy's +14. Throw in they only have one remaining match against each other and its in Spain (though I have it ending in a draw), I'm giving Spain the advantage. But that match on Saturday most likely will decide the group winner.

ETA: I'm also predisposed to root for Spain now, with their inclusion of Villa. But I'm also predisposed to root against Italy for their exclusion of Giovinco. (other than those two factors, I could care less)

Yeah, I can see either of them taking the group realistically, but obviously i'm still pulling for Italy.

Really don't think Giovinco deserves a spot on the this Italy squad, as we definitely have better options them him that made the team.

*couldn't care less* - grammar nazi

And Japan is now qualified after beating Australia 2-0 earlier this morning. Three spots booked: Russia, Iran, Japan

ETA: I missed this in my post yesterday, South Korea can qualify with a win at home over Iran and a Uzbekistan loss at China.

Regarding Italy vs. Spain - I understand if fans have a particular rooting interest and respect that. However, for the casual fan there is only one result to root for, and that is for Spain to beat the ever loving shit out of Italy. I want the program that has respect for our domestic league and the nuts to call in David Villa to prove a point against Italy and their arrogant shit of a manger, who has done nothing but denigrate MLS since he was appointed. I want Italy to pay the price and rethink their crap attitude.

Again, if you have pre-existing support for Italy - fine. Otherwise, fuck them.

Regarding Italy vs. Spain - I understand if fans have a particular rooting interest and respect that. However, for the casual fan there is only one result to root for, and that is for Spain to beat the ever loving shit out of Italy. I want the program that has respect for our domestic league and the nuts to call in David Villa to prove a point against Italy and their arrogant shit of a manger, who has done nothing but denigrate MLS since he was appointed. I want Italy to pay the price and rethink their crap attitude.

you can say what you want about Ventura but he wasnt wrong and im a MLS fan. The quality between our league on the other major leagues just isnt there regardless of how much we may want it to be.

Giovinco doesn't deserved to be called up and neither did Pirlo last year. There are so many good young Italian attacking players. Hard to make any arguement to take one off for Giovinco.

Reactions: Joseph Bianco

Honest question: do you follow international soccer or just NYCFC/MLS?