Yankee Stadium Needs To Improve

Bummer that so many people had such a shitty experience. We were lucky I guess. We marched over there with everyone around 3:30 and literally walked right in. It took maybe 30 seconds to get through security and into our seats. We also got food and beer on the concourse before the game, so we didn't have the nightmare halftime experience.

YS will figure it out as we go along. I hope...

Yeah, issue is what about weeknight games when the average person isn't going to be able to get to the stadium 2 hours early? I got to the stadium at about 4:45 and missed the first 10 mins of the first half waiting in the security line. Complete chaos on the outside. Hoping that they figure it out for some of these Thursday/Friday night games when the majority of the crowd is going to be coming in at the same time.

Merch was an absolute mess, which I expected as it was the first game after all. That should work itself out over the next few weeks.

Beer and food was exactly what I expected. Same thing happens at MSG in between periods/quarters. If you want food or drinks and don't want to wait on line for 15 mins, you need to go during the action. Sucks but that's how it is.

Reactions: Krylon80 and Gene
The pocket emptying and metal detectors is that just for NYCFC or will they be doing that for Yankee games as well?

I experienced some of this, but overall it wasn't all too bad. Didn't take me long to get into the stadium, probably 15min at most. I entered through Gate 4 at around 3:30. Gate 6 near the subway was a madhouse, though. My guess is that this new process will improve over time.

The long lines at the merch stores was expected. First time a ton of people are buying gear. This will get better by the game. The Yankee store was insane, though. Never seen anything like it.

Halftime is the real problem, and I don't see how that will get any better. You have a huge influx of people in a short amount of time. It's not like baseball where you get multiple opportunities to not miss the action. Lines for food and bathrooms are never that long for Yankee games, even in between innings. Next game I'm going to get up 5 min before halftime.

No issue here with parking. I always drive to YS.. ALWAYS. Nothing wrong with it. I don't get people who think this is crazy. Actually, the few times I took the subway I wanted to shoot myself. The train is a shitshow after the game. Almost never any traffic and I get in and out of the lot in no time. You just need to know where to go. The 153st garage is the best. Close to the Deegan, and the stadium.

Most of this will get better over time, but one thing seem odd to me. One of the staff at the stadium seemed surprised by the rush at halftime. I would assume that they were all prepped for this. Dunno.

Reactions: roxfontaine
The pocket emptying and metal detectors is that just for NYCFC or will they be doing that for Yankee games as well?
Someone somewhere today said he asked security a few days ago when he saw them setting up and was told it's a new MLB policy and we're stuck with it as an MLB venue. Passing on rumors I am, but nobody has any more solid info and no reason to think the other poster or security guy would make that up.

Reactions: doctorhoosier
I experienced some of this, but overall it wasn't all too bad. Didn't take me long to get into the stadium, probably 15min at most. I entered through Gate 4 at around 3:30. Gate 6 near the subway was a madhouse, though. My guess is that this new process will improve over time.

The long lines at the merch stores was expected. First time a ton of people are buying gear. This will get better by the game. The Yankee store was insane, though. Never seen anything like it.

Halftime is the real problem, and I don't see how that will get any better. You have a huge influx of people in a short amount of time. It's not like baseball where you get multiple opportunities to not miss the action. Lines for food and bathrooms are never that long for Yankee games, even in between innings. Next game I'm going to get up 5 min before halftime.

No issue here with parking. I always drive to YS.. ALWAYS. Nothing wrong with it. I don't get people who think this is crazy. Actually, the few times I took the subway I wanted to shoot myself. The train is a shitshow after the game. Almost never any traffic and I get in and out of the lot in no time. You just need to know where to go. The 153st garage is the best. Close to the Deegan, and the stadium.

Most of this will get better over time, but one thing seem odd to me. One of the staff at the stadium seemed surprised by the rush at halftime. I would assume that they were all prepped for this. Dunno.
I think the food staff was mostly new, given there have been no baseball games since last September. I made my purchase early, so the lines were small, but the transactions all took a long time as the staff -- all friendly and clearly trying their best -- were unfamiliar with the menu. This was training under fire. The ones I dealt with seemed like pretty capable people for this type of job and I think they'll learn quick.

just let it be a learning experience, next time you will have a better idea on when to get to the stadium, where to go in, when to shop for merch, when to get food, etc. we won and thats what matters lol
Yeah but it wasn't Burnley you beat was it ffs lol

I certainly didn't mean for this thread to detract from all the excellent experiences that went on yesterday. I even said all the problems didn't ruin it for me. It was a great day overall.

I do, however, think that Yankee Stadium needs to do a better job. It is their first game of 2015, and their first NYCFC game (although, not their first soccer game). While there are impediments to hosting a soccer game with facilities suited for baseball, there is plenty they can do to make the experience better. Food in particular. The concession stands are woefully understaffed. Generally, the same people that ring up the order fetch the food, which is not how you see things work in most arenas or other similar spaces. Having more staff so that food is ordered and rung up simultaneously could cut wait times in half.

I do think that they will get the hang of things as the games go forward, but it is important to get a discussion going around this in order to make sure it happens.

Reactions: Bronn FC
Wait, so people bitch about lines and then bitch about the vendors in the stands? FFS, we are some whiny cunts. Are you guys expecting them to train the concession workers at Hogwarts?

Hell, as I posted elsewhere, I've waited far longer for a beer at RBA. I didn't wait for a single thing at this match. Wait - I did have to wait for 2 people in front of me to take a piss (not the piss, a literal piss) before I went to the subway. All in all, I thought the stadium was pretty damn great. If you don't like how concessions work at YS, then you're not going to be happy if/when we get a SSS. There won't be nearly so many vendors there.

Wait, so people bitch about lines and then bitch about the vendors in the stands? FFS, we are some whiny cunts. Are you guys expecting them to train the concession workers at Hogwarts?

Hell, as I posted elsewhere, I've waited far longer for a beer at RBA. I didn't wait for a single thing at this match. Wait - I did have to wait for 2 people in front of me to take a piss (not the piss, a literal piss) before I went to the subway. All in all, I thought the stadium was pretty damn great. If you don't like how concessions work at YS, then you're not going to be happy if/when we get a SSS. There won't be nearly so many vendors there.

Take me home Momma and put me to bed.
I have seen enough to know that I have seen too much.
Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan is excoriating someone else for complaining.

Take me home Momma and put me to bed.
I have seen enough to know that I have seen too much.
Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan is excoriating someone else for complaining.
I try to bitch about poor decision-making, lack of forethought or acts of stupidity. Put 40,000 people in the same place for 2 hours, and it's unavoidable that they are all going to want to eat, drink and piss at roughly the same time. Caveat emptor and shit.

there were empty seats in section 014 all around me.

I'm in 14A, row 6. Row 5 was completely empty except 2 people. This was the first section in the entire stadium to sell out during season ticket selections. I was disappointed to say the least. The atmosphere in 14A was pathetic. I was yelled at and cursed at for standing during the first 2 fucking minutes. Instead of being hyped up and yelling to support the team, people were yelling at me. It's a fucking soccer match people!

I will add that it was an amazing match, the tifo was great, the supporters section was bringing the noise and the meet & greet afterwards that I was lucky enough to attend was also a great experience. I'll never forget it!

Last edited:
I'm in 14A, row 6. Row 5 was completely empty except 2 people. This was the first section in the entire stadium to sell out during season ticket selections. I was disappointed to say the least. The atmosphere in 14A was pathetic. I was yelled at and cursed at for standing during the first 2 fucking minutes. Instead of being hyped up and yelling to support the team, people were yelling at me. It's a fucking soccer match people!

I will add that it was an amazing match, the tifo was great, the supporters section was bringing the noise and the meet & greet afterwards that I was lucky enough to attend was also a great experience. I'll never forget it!
I was really hoping the "down in front" new york fans would stick with football, hockey and bball. What are you going to do?

Reactions: Paul

Weird, I'm right in front of section 15b, right next to you, and I didn't get any of this. I was standing up, and jumped up for every attacking play, so was most of the section. It's soccer folks! If someone gives me shit I will tell them to fuck off. Go to a baseball game if you want to sit down.

I'm so curious as to why some sections that were popular among season ticket holders, like 14A that you call out, had so many empty seats? You would think these people would be ready and eager to attend the inaugural home match.

I'm so curious as to why some sections that were popular among season ticket holders, like 14A that you call out, had so many empty seats? You would think these people would be ready and eager to attend the inaugural home match.

Yeah, I was shocked at the number of empty seats in my section. Not only did the STHs not show up for the 1st home game ever, but they didn't sell the tickets either. Strange.

"i'm the only person who gets hungry/thirsty/has to pee during halftime"

said, all 30k people who decided to do that.