2017 ESPN FC MLS Player Survey

Interesting takes:

Charter flights are important to the players
Most think the playoffs are too long, but also think that we should be off during international breaks...
Mix is considered the most overrated player - far and away
Tmac got mentioned as underrated

Reactions: Kjbert
That first question was done poorly. Having the option to choose "Getting paid to play soccer" provides a cop out that a lot of players will take since that honestly is probably the best thing.

That question really had a chance to tell us why players may enjoy MLS as opposed to other teams, but they dropped the ball on that question.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
NYCFC refused to participate, I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that they had a poll question last year that ended with players saying Mix was the most overrated player in MLS.

It seems as if the questions are much more tame this year as opposed to last year.

Hmm, well it's 2 years on a row with that one! And some Pirlo throw in too for good measure.

Granted, we don't know their exact reasoning, whether it came from the players or higher up, etc, but my instinct is to be pleased that we refused to take part in stirring shit for clicks.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
That first question was done poorly. Having the option to choose "Getting paid to play soccer" provides a cop out that a lot of players will take since that honestly is probably the best thing.

That question really had a chance to tell us why players may enjoy MLS as opposed to other teams, but they dropped the ball on that question.
For the first question they should have been able to pick 3, or even 5, to get a better sense of what their priorities are.
Still, I appreciate that only 4% chose to kiss up to us by saying "The Fans."

Also amusing that Pirlo made both the most overrated list and the convert-a-penalty-to-save-my-life list, even though there was likely no overlap. Really just shocked he made the PK list at all.

Reactions: adam and SoupInNYC
NYCFC refused to participate, I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that they had a poll question last year that ended with players saying Mix was the most overrated player in MLS.

It seems as if the questions are much more tame this year as opposed to last year.
I posted this in the other thread:

I find is interesting and ethically correct that 58% didn't pick a Most Overrated Player. Anybody that named an actual player is doing so out of envy/jealousy of their contract, and it's a pretty shitty thing to do as a fellow player. Leave that sort of thing to the fans.

Reactions: NYCFCfan

I went back and re-read the intro to the 2015 and 2016 surveys. This year they said they contacted all the teams, last year they said that they contacted "123 current players" and in 2015 it was "61 current players". It doesn't say anything about whether the survey went through the teams, or whether any teams subsequently blocked their players from submitting responses.

If I were to speculate, I'd guess that - if NYCFC were aware and able to do so in previous years - that the FO has probably rejected the chance to participate in all three years, due to their extreme allergy to press stories coming out from themselves or the players that they themselves haven't been able to write the script for.

Anyway, the sociologist in me would love to see a breakdown of the responses between American players and foreign ones, particularly the ones about the organisation of the league rather than the ones commenting on other players. I'm curious as to what the splits are in terms of attitudes between those who have grown up surrounded by leagues organised like MLS and those who come from different backgrounds - whether many of the foreign imports adapt to the MLS setting, or whether the Americans are just as much in favour of pro/rel etc.

really? players are in for pro rel....i dont think it will help with their goal of getting better pay. if they get relegated no guarantee you make good money by another div 1 team and good luck on D2.