2017 Mayoral Election

NYCFCfan

Registered
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Sep 9, 2014
Since most of us live/work in NYC I thought this would be relevant, especially given possible implications in a stadium deal. It's a long way out but everyone expects de Blasio to be primaried by a Democratic opponent.

Shaun Donovan is one of the first names thrown out there. He has the support of big name democrats and worked under Cuomo in the past. If anything he'll have a better relationship with Cuomo than BDB ever will.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/shaun-donovan-new-york-mayor-226778

Wonder if Big Mike B. has any desire to saddle up again and run the city properly??? he currently is tied with three other mayors for running the show 12 years straight - another 8 and he'd be a major bookmark on the city's history.

Wonder if Big Mike B. has any desire to saddle up again and run the city properly??? he currently is tied with three other mayors for running the show 12 years straight - another 8 and he'd be a major bookmark on the city's history.
Is that allowed? Sorry for the outsider question, but i'm unsure of the term limit rules so I have no idea if your sarcastic or not!

Is that allowed? Sorry for the outsider question, but i'm unsure of the term limit rules so I have no idea if your sarcastic or not!

He could - local term limits allow you to run again once you've sat out for a full cycle. I doubt he'd look to make a comeback since that last term was tough for him, but you never know, I suppose...

Reactions: NYCFCfan
Not positive but I think so. I may be making this up, but I swear I remember it from civics class, that unless specifically spelled out in each city/state charter, most term limits in the US are for consecutive terms and if there's a break in the terms the candidate can go again for more. The idea was to keep the position(s) from becoming too homogenous with one set of ideas, but if a population keeps electing after the break, then it's not forced.

And if I just made that all up, apologies abound, as I hate to spread misinformation.

Not positive but I think so. I may be making this up, but I swear I remember it from civics class, that unless specifically spelled out in each city/state charter, most term limits in the US are for consecutive terms and if there's a break in the terms the candidate can go again for more. The idea was to keep the position(s) from becoming too homogenous with one set of ideas, but if a population keeps electing after the break, then it's not forced.

And if I just made that all up, apologies abound, as I hate to spread misinformation.

Can't speak for other places, but you're correct insofar as NYC goes.

"New York City Charter

§ 1138. Term Limits. a. Notwithstanding any provision to the contrary
contained in this charter, no person shall be eligible to be elected to
or serve in the office of mayor, public advocate, comptroller, borough
president or council member if that person had previously held such
office for two or more consecutive full terms, unless one full term or
more has elapsed since that person last held such office.

b. Notwithstanding any other provision to the contrary, no local law
may be enacted by the city council, including but not limited to
amendment of the provisions of this chapter, if such local law would
alter or permit alteration of the term limit set forth in this section
as such limit applies to any person then serving in the office of mayor,
public advocate, comptroller, borough president or council member."

Reactions: Rimil and Ulrich
What's better for the team? From the way things have looked, BDB winning puts the stadium within reach. I don't think anything short of Bloomberg Vince McMahon-ing his way back into office remotely helps stadium chances.

What's better for the team? From the way things have looked, BDB winning puts the stadium within reach. I don't think anything short of Bloomberg Vince McMahon-ing his way back into office remotely helps stadium chances.
What makes you think BdB winning puts it in reach? If anything, his policies have hindered the process from the initial Queens deal Bloomberg was ushering to the Bronx parking garage that the city won't help facilitate transfer of by allowing the taxes owed to be cleared off the books.

Reactions: adam and NYCFCfan
Bloomberg had the stadium deal in the Bronx ready, but BDB came in and scuttled it so I can only imagine a new pro-development mayor (whoever that may be) would dust off those old plans as an easy way to cement a legacy.

Reactions: adam and Gavin23
What makes you think BdB winning puts it in reach? If anything, his policies have hindered the process from the initial Queens deal Bloomberg was ushering to the Bronx parking garage that the city won't help facilitate transfer of by allowing the taxes owed to be cleared off the books.
The way he's put himself in the picture for the team since last year makes it seem like catering to the team is now in his list of policies.

The way he's put himself in the picture for the team since last year makes it seem like catering to the team is now in his list of policies.
BdB is desperate for good publicity and photo ops cost him nothing. I think his list of policies really only includes making sure he doesn't get any more bad press for borderline criminal negligence regarding the rezoning/sale of retirement homes to for-profit developers and very-iffy campaign fundraising.

Cliffs Notes to the Investigations

DeBlasio will repeat the same cycle that plagues NYC. Dems wreck the city for a few cycles than they elect a Republican to clean it up. Once things are better Dems are elected again to wreck it all up again.
Ah politics. This is one of the big problems with our system. People wear their party affiliation like they wear their sports team jerseys. And they believe their team is good and the other bad.

Who are all of these horribly flawed dems and savior reps? And as you go back and count it out, are you considering Bloomberg, a RINO if ever there was one, a dem or a rep?

Reactions: NYCFCfan
Ah politics. This is one of the big problems with our system. People wear their party affiliation like they wear their sports team jerseys. And they believe their team is good and the other bad.

Who are all of these horribly flawed dems and savior reps? And as you go back and count it out, are you considering Bloomberg, a RINO if ever there was one, a dem or a rep?

I disliked (loathed) Bloomberg and as for Giuliani in the grand scheme of things was meh but certainly better than whatever Dem would of replaced him. Im not a Republican btw but DeBlasio is the worst combination of corrupt, incompetent, and radical that will ruin this city.

You have to be a certain type of idiot for Obama, the Clintons, and Cuomo to despise you considering DeBlasio is supposed to be their ally and asset.

Reactions: FootyLovin
I disliked (loathed) Bloomberg and as for Giuliani in the grand scheme of things was meh but certainly better than whatever Dem would of replaced him. Im not a Republican btw but DeBlasio is the worst combination of corrupt, incompetent, and radical that will ruin this city.

You have to be a certain type of idiot for Obama, the Clintons, and Cuomo to despise you considering DeBlasio is supposed to be their ally and asset.
Definitely not asking from a political standpoint, but how could you dislike Bloomberg??? He rescued the city from certain financial ruin after 911 when the budget was so far in the red from a lack of corporate tax revenue and companies were relocating to jersey and ct? The city also enjoyed a green space/parkland renaissance and animated all of the water front with wonderful public spaces. I don't have the statistics in front of me, but I'm pretty sure the city had the lowest amount of crime in generations. Sure he had his own brash way of doing things, and he acted like he knew it all (which he did - the man's brilliant), but he was never the irrational bully that Giuliani enjoyed being and he had the people's best interest in mind.

The voters of NYC put in term limits and Bloomberg and Quinn overrode the will of the people somehow.