2017 MLS All-Star Game presented by Target

As I understand it, if your arm/hand is in a natural stationary position against your body, and the ball hits it, that's fine. But if your arm/hand is held outward, for any reason (running, balance, etc), then the ball hitting it will be called whether there was movement of the arm/hand or not.
It looks like Gio's arm is bowed out away from his body and it strikes his arm. I need to go and find another replay that allows me to freeze-frame it better, but IMO this should be a handball.

It looks like Gio's arm is bowed out away from his body and it strikes his arm. I need to go and find another replay that allows me to freeze-frame it better, but IMO this should be a handball.
Anything away from the body is a legit foul. That's why you'll see defenders hold their hands behind their backs with arms tight to their sides as they close down the attacker

In the end, it is really a judgment call by the ref.

The rule is that a handball is only an infraction if it is "intentional" - but that doesn't just mean moving your arm to contact the ball. Intent includes sticking out your arms to make a bigger target. This gets into questions of whether an arm is in a "natural" position given what the player is doing at the time. For example, defenders in and around the box are expected to not make themselves "big" - i.e. that they keep their arms at their sides whenever a cross might be played. Other players can get away with an arm sticking out if there is not a sense that it is being done to make a bigger target for the ball.

In the case of this goal, Gio was right next to the post and certainly can't anticipate that the ball will deflect into him. His arm is relatively close to his side and the ball probably strikes him either way. It's not a handball for me, although it is one of those calls that it's hard to argue with either way.

In the end, it is really a judgment call by the ref.

The rule is that a handball is only an infraction if it is "intentional" - but that doesn't just mean moving your arm to contact the ball. Intent includes sticking out your arms to make a bigger target. This gets into questions of whether an arm is in a "natural" position given what the player is doing at the time. For example, defenders in and around the box are expected to not make themselves "big" - i.e. that they keep their arms at their sides whenever a cross might be played. Other players can get away with an arm sticking out if there is not a sense that it is being done to make a bigger target for the ball.

In the case of this goal, Gio was right next to the post and certainly can't anticipate that the ball will deflect into him. His arm is relatively close to his side and the ball probably strikes him either way. It's not a handball for me, although it is one of those calls that it's hard to argue with either way.
Would you say this is why Kappelhof was not penalized when the ball struck his arm, early in the 1st? The announcers clearly believed it should have been a handball.

Would you say this is why Kappelhof was not penalized when the ball struck his arm, early in the 1st? The announcers clearly believed it should have been a handball.
I don't see how that is called as a handball. I know Friedel kept going on about it, but his arm was across his chest when the ball hits it

I don't see how that is called as a handball. I know Friedel kept going on about it, but his arm was across his chest when the ball hits it
That is what I thought as well. There was definitely no intent, and his arm was clearly tuck against his body.

Exactly, I thought the Kappelhoff play was fine because had his arms not been there, it would have hit his chest and deflected back anyways. Friedel kept going on about it though.

The Gio one, though, the ball deflects right back to Dwyer off of his arm, and probably wouldn't have done so had his arm not been there.

Gotham Gator Gotham Gator I don't remember the minute when it occurred, but it was in the first half.

Also try the Chicago-style thin crust!!!! Go to Lou Malnati's or Gino's East for deep dish, Giordano's for the thin crust. And get an Italian Beef at Al's or Portillo's.

Deep Dish sucked from everywhere i had it, tasted like Pizza Hut bread sticks with their shitty marinara, Definitely go with a thin crust.

Italian beef sandwiches were the TITS! my favorite was from Johnnie's Beef followed up the most amazing Lemon ice ive ever had in my life

Reactions: Schwallacus
Exactly, I thought the Kappelhoff play was fine because had his arms not been there, it would have hit his chest and deflected back anyways. Friedel kept going on about it though.

The Gio one, though, the ball deflects right back to Dwyer off of his arm, and probably wouldn't have done so had his arm not been there.

Gotham Gator Gotham Gator I don't remember the minute when it occurred, but it was in the first half.

I think I remember the play now. I had the sound off for a good portion of the half. Can't believe anyone would think that's a penalty. His arms were on his chest where they are supposed to be.