Abortion?

I believe so but it should be regulated because like everything else, people love abusing shit

I'm a big time conservative... and if the conservatives would take religion out of the equation, they'd understand that making abortion illegal is against everything they stand for.

We want LESS government, not more. Therefore, the government shouldn't have control over someone's body.

I'm a big time conservative... and if the conservatives would take religion out of the equation, they'd understand that making abortion illegal is against everything they stand for.

We want LESS government, not more. Therefore, the government shouldn't have control over someone's body.
Does morality exist outside of religion? If so, and these days I am not sure if that is still the case, then abortion is still an issue.

if your forcing someone to have something they dont want, arent you just taking the place of the government with a different title, telling people what to do?

Does morality exist outside of religion? If so, and these days I am not sure if that is still the case, then abortion is still an issue.

Morality is personal though. There are some instances where I think I would seriously consider an abortion and some instances where I wouldn't. The point is that it's personal. In a perfect world, which we live far from, you would think people make the best possible decisions for themselves and others, but each decision is different because we are all different.

On top of all that, you don't know if you're truly pro-choice or not until you're in the situation yourself. You can't even begin to know what your mind, heart, and soul will feel until you hear the words "you're pregnant" or "your girlfriend/wife is pregnant."

Morality is personal though. There are some instances where I think I would seriously consider an abortion and some instances where I wouldn't. The point is that it's personal. In a perfect world, which we live far from, you would think people make the best possible decisions for themselves and others, but each decision is different because we are all different.

On top of all that, you don't know if you're truly pro-choice or not until you're in the situation yourself. You can't even begin to know what your mind, heart, and soul will feel until you hear the words "you're pregnant" or "your girlfriend/wife is pregnant."
I guess you aren't anti-murder until you are in front of the guy who slept with your wife with a gun to his head.

Everything is personal, the point is society is supposed to set certain moral standards to take people out of a situation where they would be tempted to violate those morals. Wanting to uphold a moral value system is not a liberal or conservative issue, everybody wants it. It is just a matter of which morals to uphold.

I guess you aren't anti-murder until you are in front of the guy who slept with your wife with a gun to his head.

Everything is personal, the point is society is supposed to set certain moral standards to take people out of a situation where they would be tempted to violate those morals. Wanting to uphold a moral value system is not a liberal or conservative issue, everybody wants it. It is just a matter of which morals to uphold.

For the record, the gun would be to her head. Don't tell her I said that. :rolleyes:

Can you explain this in a little more detail. Are you saying you believe that without religion, morality cannot exist?

Not at all. It just seems a lot of people have issue with religion that it tells them what to do, and they want to do whatever they want to do. Hence, they have an issue with moral systems as well.

Hence, above the comment was that if you take religion out of it, conservatives should be pro-abortion, and my response was regardless of religion it is a moral issue, unless you are one of the people who don't believe in either.

Not at all. It just seems a lot of people have issue with religion that it tells them what to do, and they want to do whatever they want to do. Hence, they have an issue with moral systems as well.

Hence, above the comment was that if you take religion out of it, conservatives should be pro-abortion, and my response was regardless of religion it is a moral issue, unless you are one of the people who don't believe in either.

As a pro-lifer you're trying to be slick with your "pro-abortion" line. Saying I believe people should have the choice doesn't mean for a second I think someone should or shouldn't have an abortion. I'm not a rah-rah liberal who can't think for themselves. The point of the "take religion out of it" is because no matter what you want to think about folks near us, there's millions of really dumb liberals and really dumb conservatives, and a lot of the dumb conservatives lean on religion too much to make political decisions.

I have a ton of faith in my moral center, by the way, and I don't have a lot of faith in God. I would like to. I'm sure it makes life better. I went through too much Catholic school education and too much world history to not have my faith shaken though. I'm still morally sound I think.

Reactions: einwindir
As a pro-lifer you're trying to be slick with your "pro-abortion" line. Saying I believe people should have the choice doesn't mean for a second I think someone should or shouldn't have an abortion. I'm not a rah-rah liberal who can't think for themselves. The point of the "take religion out of it" is because no matter what you want to think about folks near us, there's millions of really dumb liberals and really dumb conservatives, and a lot of the dumb conservatives lean on religion too much to make political decisions.

I have a ton of faith in my moral center, by the way, and I don't have a lot of faith in God. I would like to. I'm sure it makes life better. I went through too much Catholic school education and too much world history to not have my faith shaken though. I'm still morally sound I think.
Relax dude, you give me too much credit, I was not trying to be slick. Did not mean to imply anything of the sort. Neither was I trying to imply that everyone who shuns religion shuns morality, just some.

All I was saying is that if you take religion out of it, it is still an issue of morality.