American Non-dps Based Abroad

Not sure if this belongs on this thread since he's not necessarily "abroad" or if he's been mentioned in other threads, but has anybody seen Danny Szetela play for the Cosmos recently? I understand he's had knee issues for a few years and "reported" off the field problems, but seems he's working his way past all that. He was extremely talented at one point and could be worth the chance.

Reactions: Kjbert
I think any talented player in NASL is worth a look. Besides the Cosmos, the Minnesota team has a few talented players as well.

I do think Kreis is looking at the more talented NASL guys since they could be signed for cheaper.

I was debating whether or not to bring this name up in the DP or Non-DP thread, but I'll post it here for now.

How about Sacha Kljestan? He seems to be on the way out of Anderlecht. Rumors are he's drawn some interest from a few clubs in Europe, but it'd be interesting if we somehow brought him in to the team.

I was debating whether or not to bring this name up in the DP or Non-DP thread, but I'll post it here for now.

How about Sacha Kljestan? He seems to be on the way out of Anderlecht. Rumors are he's drawn some interest from a few clubs in Europe, but it'd be interesting if we somehow brought him in to the team.
He would be a great signing, but I think his salary demands would make him a DP in MLS.

Although not a perfect site, Transfermarkt lists him at being worth $2.6 million US, making him probably worth a DP salary.
http://www.transfermarkt.com/sacha-kljestan/marktwertverlauf/spieler/39475

Not sure if this belongs on this thread since he's not necessarily "abroad" or if he's been mentioned in other threads, but has anybody seen Danny Szetela play for the Cosmos recently? I understand he's had knee issues for a few years and "reported" off the field problems, but seems he's working his way past all that. He was extremely talented at one point and could be worth the chance.
Oh, what could have been given how exciting those youth teams were. They just toyed with teams.

I think the best thing to come from that whole Lost Boys generation was the fact that it highlighted the need to do more to bridge the development of US players during that critical gap from high potential youth to first team footballer.

Watching this vid is bittersweet. Freddy fuckin' Adu (might be his legal name at this point). Basically, only Altidore and Bradley have gone on to do anything close to meeting their potential. Speaking of that roster, their might be a couple of guys that we could pick up in the expansion draft.

Speaking of that roster, there might be a couple of guys that we could pick up in the expansion draft. I could see Robbie Rogers possibly being left unprotected and coming over to fill a FB slot. Beltran might be another possibility for the same role. Either would be good MLS outside backs for the City system.
1 GK Chris Seitz 12 March 1987 (aged 20)
2 DF Tim Ward 28 February 1987 (aged 20)
3 MF Bryan Arguez 13 January 1989 (aged 18)
4 DF Amaechi Igwe 20 May 1988 (aged 19)
5 DF Nathan Sturgis 6 July 1987 (aged 19)
6 MF Michael Bradley 31 July 1987 (aged 19)

7 MF Danny Szetela 7 June 1987 (aged 20)
8 MF Robbie Rogers 12 May 1987 (aged 20)
9 FW Preston Zimmerman 11 November 1988 (aged 18)
10 MF Dax McCarty 30 April 1987 (aged 20)
11 MF Freddy Adu 2 June 1989 (aged 18)

12 FW Jozy Altidore 6 November 1989 (aged 17)
13 DF Ofori Sarkodie 18 June 1988 (aged 19)
14 DF Anthony Wallace 26 January 1989 (aged 18)
15 MF Sal Zizzo 3 April 1987 (aged 20)
16 DF Julian Valentin 23 February 1987 (aged 20)
17 FW Gabriel Ferrari 1 September 1988 (aged 18)
18 GK Brian Perk 21 July 1989 (aged 17)
19 MF Tony Beltran 11 October 1987 (aged 19)
20 FW Andre Akpan 9 December 1987 (aged 19)
21 GK Steve Sandbo 23 February 1987 (aged 20)

Last edited:
Hangeland actually signed with Crystal Palace a day or two ago. Would have been a nice signing though.

Oh, what could have been given how exciting those youth teams were. They just toyed with teams.

I think the best thing to come from that whole Lost Boys generation was the fact that it highlighted the need to do more to bridge the development of US players during that critical gap from high potential youth to first team footballer.

Watching this vid is bittersweet. Freddy fuckin' Adu (might be his legal name at this point). Basically, only Altidore and Bradley have gone on to do anything close to meeting their potential. Speaking of that roster, their might be a couple of guys that we could pick up in the expansion draft.

Speaking of that roster, there might be a couple of guys that we could pick up in the expansion draft. I could see Robbie Rogers possibly being left unprotected and coming over to fill a FB slot. Beltran might be another possibility for the same role. Either would be good MLS outside backs for the City system.
1 GK Chris Seitz 12 March 1987 (aged 20)
2 DF Tim Ward 28 February 1987 (aged 20)
3 MF Bryan Arguez 13 January 1989 (aged 18)
4 DF Amaechi Igwe 20 May 1988 (aged 19)
5 DF Nathan Sturgis 6 July 1987 (aged 19)
6 MF Michael Bradley 31 July 1987 (aged 19)

7 MF Danny Szetela 7 June 1987 (aged 20)
8 MF Robbie Rogers 12 May 1987 (aged 20)
9 FW Preston Zimmerman 11 November 1988 (aged 18)
10 MF Dax McCarty 30 April 1987 (aged 20)
11 MF Freddy Adu 2 June 1989 (aged 18)

12 FW Jozy Altidore 6 November 1989 (aged 17)
13 DF Ofori Sarkodie 18 June 1988 (aged 19)
14 DF Anthony Wallace 26 January 1989 (aged 18)
15 MF Sal Zizzo 3 April 1987 (aged 20)
16 DF Julian Valentin 23 February 1987 (aged 20)
17 FW Gabriel Ferrari 1 September 1988 (aged 18)
18 GK Brian Perk 21 July 1989 (aged 17)
19 MF Tony Beltran 11 October 1987 (aged 19)
20 FW Andre Akpan 9 December 1987 (aged 19)
21 GK Steve Sandbo 23 February 1987 (aged 20)
Most of these are possible. However no way Altidore isn't a DP signing, same with Bradley (won't leave TFC after 1 year). Also, no way RSL doesn't protect Beltran. Young and good. I think McCarty & Sarkodie are also protected. Several of these players don't play in MLS any more. Adu, Arguez, Szetela, Zimmerman (?), Adu, Igwe, Ferrari. I think Sandbo retired before actually going pro. Doesn't mean NYCFC can't get them but not from the Expansion Draft.

Most of these are possible. However no way Altidore isn't a DP signing, same with Bradley (won't leave TFC after 1 year). Also, no way RSL doesn't protect Beltran. Young and good. I think McCarty & Sarkodie are also protected. Several of these players don't play in MLS any more. Adu, Arguez, Szetela, Zimmerman (?), Adu, Igwe, Ferrari. I think Sandbo retired before actually going pro. Doesn't mean NYCFC can't get them but not from the Expansion Draft.
Woah man. Robbie and Beltran are about the extent of who I think could contribute. Bradley/Jozy obviously, but not realistic. I was posting more regarding the failed development of 90% of them.

Sorry I got that from the beginning of your post but I thought your list went with your call outs of Beltran and Rogers. My bad. Rogers I could see on a unprotected list though.

DAMN! Would have liked to have snagged this guy. I'm not sure we had a real chance, as there may have been a disco claim or something, but he's pretty good on the ball and would be a fun one to watch develop. At least he'll be in MLS.

http://theoffsiderules.com/FC-Lorient-US-U-20s-mid-Romain-Gall-signs-with-MLS

IMG_4599.jpg

Romain Gall just might be what's next. The 19 year-old attacking midfielder is a key cog in Tab Ramos' U-20 USMNT engine and has signed with MLS, landing in Columbus via weighted lottery, just before the closing of the transfer window. Expect an announcement soon but in the meantime here are 5 things you should know about this name for the future.

1. He's a dual national with US and French citizenship. Though born in Paris, this one-time U. of Maryland commit has Virginia roots and holds a US passport.

2. He's a product of French Ligue 1 side FC Lorient's youth system and can play on the wing and in a central attacking role.

3. Prior to joining FC Lorient, Gall spent time with RSL and D.C. United's academies, competing in the 2010 SUM U-17 Cup.

4. He is a graduate of the DeAndre Yedlin school of hair styling. Check his Twitter avatar for proof.

5. Frenchie can ball.

July 2014 (832 views) Filed under MLS, US Soccer

What is the "weighted lottery?" Does that mean that Columbus ditched Mix and user their allocation order slot on him?

What is the "weighted lottery?" Does that mean that Columbus ditched Mix and user their allocation order slot on him?
When a player who has no connections to an academy but was a part of the US national team (U-17s) wants to join MLS, all clubs get a chance to get him. Think of it as a stop-gap between the College SuperDraft and the Allocation Order.

Think of it as a literal lottery. In this case all the clubs get a certain number of lottery balls. The more balls, the greater the chance. Its based on club performance and other nuances.

Today Crew "won" the lottery because they had their lottery ball picked. Its kinda strange, but its exactly how the NBA works in North America as well.

Probably another thing MLS could do without.

My all time favorite weighted lottery was for U-17 star Danny Szetela now of Cosmos. He was from NJ and hoping for NYRB/Metros. He got Crew too.

This was his reaction:
51106607-danny-szetela-of-clifton-new-jersey-wears-an-gettyimages.jpg

Reactions: Midas Mulligan