Away - 02/25 SKC

Not doubting your lineup as it's the obvious PV choice, but what if:

------Harrison----Villa----Ring-----
---------------Pirlo----Maxi---------------
-------------------Herrera--------------------
-Mataritta--Callens--Chanot--Allen----
-----------------Johnson-------------------

Not sure about the rest but if PV goes with what I think will be his preferred 1st team back line my money is still on:

-Mataritta--Callens--Brillant--Chanot--

I've seen nothing so far to indicate that PV sees RJ as a starter or that he intends to move away from his hybrid 3 CBs with mata going forward system.

Not sure about the rest but if PV goes with what I think will be his preferred 1st team back line my money is still on:

-Mataritta--Callens--Brillant--Chanot--

I've seen nothing so far to indicate that PV sees RJ as a starter or that he intends to move away from his hybrid 3 CBs with mata going forward system.

I agree. And if we're trying things out:

Wallace - Villa - Jack
Camargo - Herrera - ring
Mata - callens - brilliant - chanot
SJ

Let's try that backline out, give Pirlo a rest and see how our 3 new MFs do together. Also would like to pair up Wallace & Mata on the left side and see what happens.

I agree. And if we're trying things out:

Wallace - Villa - Jack
Camargo - Herrera - ring
Mata - callens - brilliant - chanot
SJ

Let's try that backline out, give Pirlo a rest and see how our 3 new MFs do together. Also would like to pair up Wallace & Mata on the left side and see what happens.

No Maxi?

No, these are the backs of our current secondary kit. The same one we had last year.
C5iixZXUsAAJtls.jpg

Reminds me of this.

19669713.jpg

DP debate aside, Maxi is going to toy with MLS defenses. Exactly the type of player we have been missing.
Maxi had some fun out there. Made some poor passes in the defensive half but was mostly after Sands came in and for whatever reason he started drifting back a lot.

Reactions: Kjbert
Well that was pretty exciting, particularly given that was a strong SKC lineup (albeit ex. Dwyer).
  • Cue up the Pirlo debate. I think he's looked good this preseason and he can be the difference maker in games. After all, for all the good play, we only scored one goal today. However, against a good SKC midfield, we looked so functional with a creator (Maxi), a box to box (Ring) and a holder (Herrera and then Sands). Particularly in the first half, Ring was all over the central third in a way we've rarely (ever?) seen on this team.

• I thought Callens looked good. Athletic and able on the ball. Well, at least until he got stripped which resulted in the penalty. He looks like a good add though.

• Good to see Chanot look solid after some poor efforts.

• Wallace reminded me why I liked him in Portland. Lots of work rate and athleticism with enough technical capability to make use of it.

• A few weeks ago I started a thread on who this year's "villain" will be. Step forward RJ. The interesting thing is that some guys fall out of favor because the players around them get better (i.e., McNamara) and so they look worse. I think RJ, in contrast, has really regressed since the end of 2015 and early 2016.