Away - 3/4 Kansas City

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let the fun begin. Here's a lineup taking into account the limited matches we have seen. I'm still giving Wallace the benefit of the start but Lewis is close on his heels. He will need to start proving his value early in the season. Also, starting Mata. Thought I'd never say this, but Sweat is also close.
View attachment 8336

Bench:
Stuver, Sweat, Saad, Ismael,Ofori, Lewis, TMac.

(Would like Cedric in place for Saad if he is not injured.
I’d rather see Sweat than Mata because I can’t handle ole-style defending. I’d push Maxi to Wallace’s spot (more a hybrid LM/LW than a pure advanced LW) and bring Ofori in to the middle to bomb into the box / be a sharpshooter from the top of the box.

Medina did nothing to impress me, but outside of Lewis, I don’t know who else to slot in unless the Viking is ready to go 90. I pray Medina is on a fast-curve to getting comfortable with MLS’ physical style of play.

After Simeone’s comments yesterday about Torres’ future with the club, I hope our front office is figuring out how to bring him in ASAP. He an Villa would be a formidable 1-2 punch.

Reactions: Paul
I’d rather see Sweat than Mata because I can’t handle ole-style defending. I’d push Maxi to Wallace’s spot (more a hybrid LM/LW than a pure advanced LW) and bring Ofori in to the middle to bomb into the box / be a sharpshooter from the top of the box.

Medina did nothing to impress me, but outside of Lewis, I don’t know who else to slot in unless the Viking is ready to go 90. I pray Medina is on a fast-curve to getting comfortable with MLS’ physical style of play.

After Simeone’s comments yesterday about Torres’ future with the club, I hope our front office is figuring out how to bring him in ASAP. He an Villa would be a formidable 1-2 punch.
No way Ofori would start considering how late he came in preseason. But, I think that's an interesting idea for further on in the season. But then you likely have 3 midfielders who are great defensively, and probably not enough offense

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Not that I think it'll ever happen because we know Vieira loves his 4-3-3 but do you think a 3-5-2 might work? I know Mata and Tinnerholm like to press up the field.

(Couldn't help but use the baseball field)

View attachment 8337

Nominated for the Best Post of the Year - Comedy

https://www.socceramerica.com/publi...rojecting-the-23-mls-opening-day-lineups.html

New York City FC (Sunday, at Sporting KC). Between two trips to Florida, NYCFC was the only MLS team not involved in the Concacaf Champions League to play abroad, losing at Mexican club San Luis, 3-0. Academy Watch: Forward Esad Mackic, a 17-year-old Yonkers product, started in the scrimmage against Real Salt on Thursday and came on late in the game against Montreal on Saturday.
Projected opening-day lineup (USA-eligible players: 1): Johnson; *Tinnerholm, Callens, Chanot, Matarrita; *Medina, Herrera, Ring, Moralez; Wallace, Villa.
*New players.

Sporting KC (Sunday, vs. New York City FC). Khiry Shelton started Saturday's game against Portland but left after 11 minutes with an injury and was replaced by Diego Rubio.
Projected opening-day lineup (USA-eligible players: 4): Melia; Zusi, Opara, Besler, Lobato, *Gutierrez, Ilie, Espinoza, *Croizet, Rubio, *Russell.
*New players.

https://www.socceramerica.com/publi...rojecting-the-23-mls-opening-day-lineups.html

New York City FC (Sunday, at Sporting KC). Between two trips to Florida, NYCFC was the only MLS team not involved in the Concacaf Champions League to play abroad, losing at Mexican club San Luis, 3-0. Academy Watch: Forward Esad Mackic, a 17-year-old Yonkers product, started in the scrimmage against Real Salt on Thursday and came on late in the game against Montreal on Saturday.
Projected opening-day lineup (USA-eligible players: 1): Johnson; *Tinnerholm, Callens, Chanot, Matarrita; *Medina, Herrera, Ring, Moralez; Wallace, Villa.
*New players.

Sporting KC (Sunday, vs. New York City FC). Khiry Shelton started Saturday's game against Portland but left after 11 minutes with an injury and was replaced by Diego Rubio.
Projected opening-day lineup (USA-eligible players: 4): Melia; Zusi, Opara, Besler, Lobato, *Gutierrez, Ilie, Espinoza, *Croizet, Rubio, *Russell.
*New players.

Nothing about SKC's additions look like a change of style. Fully expect SKCs tactics to be their typical low score, grind it out type approach. If our offense is still struggling to finish chances this could be an ugly one.

Nothing about SKC's additions look like a change of style. Fully expect SKCs tactics to be their typical low score, grind it out type approach. If our offense is still struggling to finish chances this could be an ugly one.
I do hope PV attacks Midas Mulligan ’s favorite right back Zusi with pace and technical ability. He’s the weak spot on that D and must be exploited.

I find it interesting that the club made a concerted effort to get the new acquisitions into camp significantly earlier in preseason than last year. Assuming they did this in order to get the new players to gel with the concept and tactics. But then they weren’t playing the starting 11 until the last match. They still have not geled as an 11. I predict a lot of rust in this first match

I'm excited to see what Medina can do with the ball at his feet. I don't think he's been given his fair shake yet, and If he gets a fair shake at Zusi, we could get dangerous on the touchline.
I also wouldn't be surprised if he is someone who struggles at first and then puts it together as he has more time to adapt.

Outside of his national team callups, he's only played in the Paraguayan league, so the step up in quality in terms of defenders he's facing may take a few games for someone his age to get accustomed to.

Sporting Kansas City v New York City FC
Children’s Mercy Park (7:30PM ET)
REFEREE: MARK GEIGER
AR1: FRANK ANDERSON
AR2: KYLE ATKINS
4TH: NIMA SAGHAFI
VAR: JON FREEMON

Geiger previously referred our 1-1 draw vs. Montreal with 2 yellow cards (1 each) and 0 penalties; 3-0 win at Orlando with 4 yellow cards (2 each) and 2 penalties (1 each); 2-1 win vs. New England with 4 yellow cards (3-NYC, 1-NE). All results from 2017.

Last edited:
Originally from the Roster Players - Khiry Shelton thread, but posting it here for more visibility. We never played him as a lone striker...

Well the good news is if Matarrita keeps passing the ball to the other team, if its to SKC's starting striker he's almost certain to touch it way too heavy and give it right back to us.

One of the things we have working for us is that the spine of the team will (should) remain unchanged while SKC is going through a rather substantial personnel change. I'm really not worried about them going forward. They'll need time to gel in that sense and we should be much further along based on who we'll have returning.

Khiry as rival ST would seem like a dream come true for us, based on what we saw of him during his long NYCFC tenure. The problem would be the made-for-TV poetic justice of the underdog who gets cut from a somewhat rich and snobbish coastal-elite team and goes to a humble team from the heartland to find his true home. Then he'll score a brace against us.

Khiry as rival ST would seem like a dream come true for us, based on what we saw of him during his long NYCFC tenure. The problem would be the made-for-TV poetic justice of the underdog who gets cut from a somewhat rich and snobbish coastal-elite team and goes to a humble team from the heartland to find his true home. Then he'll score a brace against us.

Typical City

We always played him on the wing so we rarely saw it but it does scare me that Khiry's most useful deployment is out running backlines to balls played over the top. He can take as heavy a touch as he wants when he's got nothing but 30 yards of daylight between him and the keeper with our highline CBs chasing from behind. Assuming SKC plays a pack it in then counter approach Khiry may be a bit more dangerous than we are giving him credit for.

Status
Not open for further replies.