Away - September 2 - New England (Postgame)

Great game all around, almost every player had a very good game.

- Scally had a shakey few minutes, giving Bou a lot of space. However I kinda expected this from his first appearance in a whiiiiiile.
- Heber, while not scoring in the first 60, was pretty good when off the ball for most of the game.
- Ring playing forward is so weird to see!
- GMS had a great game, I really liked his playing today.
- Tinnerholm is bae and I hope we keep him forever and he just never retires ever.

I must have been watching a different GMS.
Never expected to read that he had a good game. Open to having my mind changed as I generally feel the dude is a waste of a roster spot so the lens I watch through may have a filter but I thought he was very underwhelming, gave the ball away, should have gone for goal instead of making another bad pass, looked tired not following a key pass late in the game and not getting up field fast enough to miss a great opportunity on a rebound.

I’ll take it. Still struggling to do the things that came easy in prior season. That being holding possession and controlling the tempo. We had more possession but it doesn’t feel like it. I guess because a lot of our possession is in our half trying to play out of the back. Three wins in a row. Happy thoughts.

Reactions: danger
Also when Maxi subbed out and Medina came on the NE Revs commentators said that Medina is of the same caliber.

• Haha
Reactions: Shwafta
Also when Maxi subbed out and Medina came on the NE Revs commentators said that Medina is of the same caliber.
lol yeah i noticed that too! I thought it was hilarious.

Never expected to read that he had a good game. Open to having my mind changed as I generally feel the dude is a waste of a roster spot so the lens I watch through may have a filter but I thought he was very underwhelming, gave the ball away, should have gone for goal instead of making another bad pass, looked tired not following a key pass late in the game and not getting up field fast enough to miss a great opportunity on a rebound.

Hmm, interesting. I thought he had some very good phases where he got around players and made space / passes very nicely... Better than he was in the past, but I wouldn't say worth starting over any of our others. However, I can understand it due to fixture congestion.

Reactions: Kjbert
Hmm, interesting. I thought he had some very good phases where he got around players and made space / passes very nicely... Better than he was in the past, but I wouldn't say worth starting over any of our others. However, I can understand it due to fixture congestion.
[/QUOTE]

He may have had some good moments and I'm just fixating on some not so good moments... and I still don't see him contributing in any real meaningful way.

Couldn't agree more. He is a symptom of the manager's misunderstanding and I can only hope that he is out of the starting xi very soon. Otherwise he will contribute to our demise.

Reactions: twsj91
The kind of level headedness we need here. Are we back? Because I think we’re BACK.
We were 2W-6T-1L at 9 games in. Unless I’m missing the sarcasm, that was not my takeaway from @WalkenTall27’s fun fact. It was that we are no better, no worse.

We had a congested April schedule last year. Heber made his debut in game 5, and only scored twice by game 9. It wasn’t really until later that we had a better run of form. Look at the postgame thread for game 9 for the general mood at the time

Totally forgot this game was even going on and just got finished watching the replay. Good hustle and teamwork and communication in a lot of areas in the first 20 minutes or so - tailed off a little, but we still kept some good energy up and passing throughout the game.

Quit pissing yourselves over GMS, ma boy had a good solid game - some nice passes and link up play, and did a lot of (my favorite thing to see on a pitch) closing down of the opponents, not giving them time on the ball, which led to several chances. He was still breathing out of his arse before too long and hasn't yet broken through the confidence barrier to bust out the tricks, but he's shown some good endeavor in a few of his last games, and was much more effective than his replacement Mitrita, who was trash.

Mataritta played like a man out for redemption, very impressed with him. Great game again from Jimmy Sands and I enjoyed Ring and Parks performances. Midfield overall was much improved from recent games.

Not gonna say yet that we've clicked or it's all rosy, but this was much better to watch than some recent dross. Just imagine if we had this kind of performance against the Red Bulls...

We were 2W-6T-1L at 9 games in. Unless I’m missing the sarcasm, that was not my takeaway from @WalkenTall27’s fun fact. It was that we are no better, no worse.

We had a congested April schedule last year. Heber made his debut in game 5, and only scored twice by game 9. It wasn’t really until later that we had a better run of form. Look at the postgame thread for game 9 for the general mood at the time
My takeaway has been and will always be that jumping to conclusions so early into a season is ludicrous, especially with a brand new coach who has had to deal with unprecedented circumstances. Yes, the lineups and formations have been questionable to downright bad, but this is what happens whenever a new coach is installed, on top of being hired so late into an off-season.

People wanted Deila fired after just 2 regular season games and then even more people wanted him fired during the bubble tournament that came off of a 4 month hiatus with nearly no lead up for players to get properly match fit. The same song and dance routine happened with Dome and Vieria and it will continue to happen and I'm very glad no one on this forum actually has the power to make coaching decisions.

Without a doubt they have not looked especially great, but even in their 1-3 losses they still looked capable of winning every game they've played this season. Time will tell if they maintain this winning momentum but I don't think that giving up on a season so quickly by wanting Deila sacked makes any sense. And if you think that a midseason coach replacement would actually result in significantly better performance and an MLS cup then I have an NYCFC stadium site to sell you.

Reactions: Jock
Always great to beat the Revs at their sub-YS facility. Tinner started the season rough but has roared back, so has most of the team. No glaring weak spots tonight. Mata even defended.
Bou is a good player but we did a reasonably good job denying him service (he didown Scally at one moment). Chanot has a particularly good night tonight.
Loved to see them attempt to repeat the Heber goal play through Parks. It almost worked again.
Turner made this a closer match than it really was. He deserves a serious USMNT look.
I still want to see more Acevedo. He has poise. Also I hate Ring so high. He just isn’t precise enough.

People wanted Deila fired after just 2 regular season games and then even more people wanted him fired during the bubble tournament that came off of a 4 month hiatus with nearly no lead up for players to get properly match fit. The same song and dance routine happened with Dome and Vieria and it will continue to happen and I'm very glad no one on this forum actually has the power to make coaching decisions.

Without a doubt they have not looked especially great, but even in their 1-3 losses they still looked capable of winning every game they've played this season. Time will tell if they maintain this winning momentum but I don't think that giving up on a season so quickly by wanting Deila sacked makes any sense. And if you think that a midseason coach replacement would actually result in significantly better performance and an MLS cup then I have an NYCFC stadium site to sell you.

The interesting thing is that it appears the team started playing better and winning once the leading players obviously put Deila into his place before the Crew game. Would have been fun to be a fly on the wall in that meeting.
I'm not demanding Deila's sacking (and have not been), but I'm somewhat suspicious to whether he has much of a role, other than making substitutions during the games. If the team keeps winning, it doesn't matter either.