Bbc Produces Mls Best Eleven, Names Four Nycfc Players But No Giovinco

Falastur

Registered
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 20, 2014
Herts, UK
Inspired by the signing of Pirlo, Lampard, Drogba and Gerrard, the BBC decided to suggest their Best XI of all of MLS's players. Predictably they named all of our DPs, but they also put Iraola in for good measure. Can't help this is slightly skewed towards the Euro players people in the UK will have heard of, and yes Kaka and Gerrard in defence is ridiculous, but it'd be an exciting team to watch for sure and for star power it's pretty impressive. Thoughts?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33688190

_84539231_mlsxi_take4.jpg

Mmmm not sure about Drogba at this point in his career.

Giovinco gets snubbed? I'd drop Drogba and throw in Gio instead.

Inspired by the signing of Pirlo, Lampard, Drogba and Gerrard, the BBC decided to suggest their Best XI of all of MLS's players. Predictably they named all of our DPs, but they also put Iraola in for good measure. Can't help this is slightly skewed towards the Euro players people in the UK will have heard of, and yes Kaka and Gerrard in defence is ridiculous, but it'd be an exciting team to watch for sure and for star power it's pretty impressive. Thoughts?

If this is based on the peak of each players career then the list seems reasonable. If this is best as of today some changes are needed starting with swapping Droba for Goivinco.

This looks like it was made by an 11 year old

It's kinda funny. 7 of these players play in the East. 3 of the 4 that don't play in the East play for LA Galaxy. Only 1 player plays for a team in the West not named LA Galaxy -- Clint Dempsey.

....but the West has dominated the East. Go figure.

Reactions: gbservis
This looks like it was made by an 11 year old
Couldn't agree more. Usually I don't take these things seriously at all, but that list goes beyond absurd.

• Two guys who haven't set foot on the field yet.
  • One guy whose played about 35 minutes.
  • Another guy who has all of two matches under his belt.
  • Who knows how Iraola turns out, but as of now he's been less than awe inspiring.
  • I can name you 5 GK's I'd rather have than Hamid.

I read some of the comments on the article on the bbc link, it's laughable how many people are calling us a retirement league still. When that old guy Pirlo was a major part of Juventus team who won several Italian titles in a row and making the CL Final while he was a big part of that. Gerrard who is suppose to be hasbeen was wanted by several european clubs In big leagues but since he's in MLS he's come to retire. I could go on and on, but its a shame Gio isn't on the team.

Two words. Michael Bradley.

We all know the list isn't serious, but it would be nice if the people who made it had actually watched some MLS games - or had actually watched any soccer outside the EPL for the last decade.

Reactions: Gene
1. I'd love to see Gerrard play CB when he face LA.
2. Omar Gonzalez and Bill Hamid? Come on BBC research team, you can find two more Europeans. Put Gio in goal if you have to.
3. BBC Sport sponsored by Etihad Airways ;)
4. I would have preferred this as just a list rather than a formation, would have looked better.