Changes To The Laws Of The Game

7- Unlimited

As to the points does that include the additional point for all goals scored (regardless if the team won, drew, or lost) ?
No, the goal scored effect will of course generate different results, but you could do that with the current point system and not add all the other complexity.

1. The game clock stops when a:
    • Goal is scored
    • Ref cards a player
    • Player is seriously injured
    • Substitution/s occur
This and I think you should get 3 substitution "windows". Not just 3 substitutions. You can sub as many players as you like during these windows. I will concede once a player is off, they can't come back on.

This would greatly help combat concussions and head injury issues as well as allow managers to better assess all their players.

Reactions: Gavin23
no no no please dont try to complicate /americanize the beautiful game
You are missing the beauty of Amur-cah.

New rule. Each team gets a paintball sniper on each side of the field shooting their own team's color. Any player who gets painted more than 50% of their jersey must switch to play for the other team.

In the case of overtime periods the snipers switch to BB guns.

In the case PKs are needed play continues as under current rules but gladiators are released into the stadium whose role is to pummel anyone. Doesn't matter who. Players, refs, coaches. Camera people. Sideline reporters. Anyone.

Why?

Because Amur-cah.

Football is my favorite sport. With that said there are many changes I personally would love to see made to the game. Ive assembled a list based on various suggestions I liked from the web. (yes im bored)

• Goal is scored
    • Ref cards a player
    • Substitution/s occur
No game clock please. Too American. That whole crowd counting down thing drives me nuts. The Australians started doing this in rugby and so you pretty much know the result 2 minutes before the end if the winning team has possession. Uncertainty and inconsistency help make football great. This is just one of the rules that would ruin it.

There's even a law of physics named after Sir Alex Ferguson.

Fergie's Watch
A timepiece that runs contrary to the laws of physics.

If your football team is winning after 90 minutes your watch actually runs faster than the referee's. The other teams coach has a watch that runs slower. And the referee's runs like crap whether your winning or losing. This is Fergie's Watch.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Fergie's+Watch

2. Refs can still add overtime minutes if the half is scoreless or tied.

It's not overtime, it's injury time. What's wrong with teams drawing? It took a big campaign by US fans over several years to get rid of the ridiculous Golden Goals rule, which one of the early rules when MLS was "dumbed down" for Americans.

Anyone non-Mexican who watched Mexico vs Guatemala was screaming for the underdogs to hold out for a draw.

3. A ref can be subbed at half time (or full time if going into extra time) with mutual consent of both managers.

Not only would this undermine the ref's authority but it would happen every game. In most cases, where players and fans complain, the ref actually turns out to be right but we only remember the ones where they were wrong.

4. Penalty Shootouts occur before the extra time. Results are only used if a tie remains after extra time ends.

Penalty shootouts are unfair and should be avoided at all costs. They're a lottery. Still it's better than before the mid-1960s when a coin-toss used to decide the winner.

5. If a goalkeeper is sent off resulting in a penalty, then a sub keeper can not come until after the penalty has been taken.

I see your point but it doesn't make sense in the context of the overall rules.

I remember the days before they had substitute goalkeepers. If a goalkeeper got injured or sent off an outfield player would have to go in goal. It was marvelous fun. In fact, the the vaguely remember the days before any substitutes were allowed. If a player got injured you were down to 10 men.

Manchester City goalkeeper Bert Trautman famously played out the last 17 minutes of the 1956 FA Cup Final with a broken neck.

6. Introduction of a “White Card” which leads to a temporary removal of the offending player from the game between 5 to 10 minutes depending on the Ref’s discretion.

No sin-bins please. It's been thought about but it gives the opposing team too much of an advantage and it gives the referee an easy option when he should be sending players off.

7. Modified Free Substitution System
    • A team can only substitute a player/players when their is a stoppage in play where they maintain possession (Throw ins, Corner Kicks, Penalty Kicks, Indirect or Direct Free Kicks, Goal Kicks)
    • Substitutions cannot occur at Halftime Kickoff or for a Drop Ball.
    • A player who is subbed off during a half cannot be subbed back on until the next half (this counts for extra time halves)
    • Player’s who receive a White Card can be subbed off but can not be subbed back on.
No, no, no, no. It works perfectly fine as it is. You really want to play Poku for 20 minutes, then take him off for a rest, then bring him back on for the last 20?

8. Attacking player to be ruled onside if any part of his body is level with the second-to-last defender.

I'm not sure what the difference is with the existing rule.

"A player is in an offside position when he or she is in the opponents' half of the pitch and closer to the opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second-to-last opponent "

The goalkeeper is considered a defender.

9. Bench size increased to 11.

I preferred it when it was one. Often smaller teams can't put out more than 16 players. I think it is 11 in some international games. I remember a game between Notts County and Doncaster Rovers where a Chairman (owner), in financial difficulties, fired his manager, took charge himself, put his 15 year-old son in goal and put himself on the bench to make up the numbers

10. Games cannot end in a scoreless draw. If after 90 minutes the game is scoreless it goes into Extra time with a preceding Penalty Shootout if Extra Time leads to no goals.

If you really want this then go watch another sport. You may as well have TV commercial time outs.

10. New point system:

Home Games

Win: 1
Draw: 0
Loss: -1

Away Games

Win: 2
Draw: 1
Loss: 0

*Add a point for all goals scored.

The existing points system encourages away team to go for the win. Back when it was 2 points for a win teams would try and draw away and win at home. Since the 3 points rule was invoked football has become far more attack minded.

I understand why an American new to the game would want soccer to look like every other American sport but I'm sure the majority of American fans who have watched it for any amount of time like the fact that it's different to other American sports.

If you want countdowns, revolving substitutions, sin-bins and to ban draws then you are watching the wrong sport. 99% of fans globally would consider your ideas desecration.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
Personally I'd cancel the contract of any TV station who displays the score with the away team first and I'd ban Fox coverage altogether for bringing the game into disrepute.

As noted above I'm not a fan of this list, but I find it amusing that Gavin23 Gavin23 has twice stated that he compiled it from non-American sources, yet people repeatedly continue to make dumb boorish American jokes, which reflects a helluva lot worse on them than on the straw men they're attempting to mock.

Last edited:
    • Goal is scored
    • Ref cards a player
    • Substitution/s occur
No game clock please. Too American. That whole crowd counting down thing drives me nuts. The Australians started doing this in rugby and so you pretty much know the result 2 minutes before the end if the winning team has possession. Uncertainty and inconsistency help make football great. This is just one of the rules that would ruin it.

There's even a law of physics named after Sir Alex Ferguson.

Fergie's Watch
A timepiece that runs contrary to the laws of physics.

If your football team is winning after 90 minutes your watch actually runs faster than the referee's. The other teams coach has a watch that runs slower. And the referee's runs like crap whether your winning or losing. This is Fergie's Watch.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Fergie's+Watch

It's not overtime, it's injury time. What's wrong with teams drawing? It took a big campaign by US fans over several years to get rid of the ridiculous Golden Goals rule, which one of the early rules when MLS was "dumbed down" for Americans.

Anyone non-Mexican who watched Mexico vs Guatemala was screaming for the underdogs to hold out for a draw.

3. A ref can be subbed at half time (or full time if going into extra time) with mutual consent of both managers.

Not only would this undermine the ref's authority but it would happen every game. In most cases, where players and fans complain, the ref actually turns out to be right but we only remember the ones where they were wrong.

4. Penalty Shootouts occur before the extra time. Results are only used if a tie remains after extra time ends.

Penalty shootouts are unfair and should be avoided at all costs. They're a lottery. Still it's better than before the mid-1960s when a coin-toss used to decide the winner.

5. If a goalkeeper is sent off resulting in a penalty, then a sub keeper can not come until after the penalty has been taken.

I see your point but it doesn't make sense in the context of the overall rules.

I remember the days before they had substitute goalkeepers. If a goalkeeper got injured or sent off an outfield player would have to go in goal. It was marvelous fun. In fact, the the vaguely remember the days before any substitutes were allowed. If a player got injured you were down to 10 men.

Manchester City goalkeeper Bert Trautman famously played out the last 17 minutes of the 1956 FA Cup Final with a broken neck.

6. Introduction of a “White Card” which leads to a temporary removal of the offending player from the game between 5 to 10 minutes depending on the Ref’s discretion.

No sin-bins please. It's been thought about but it gives the opposing team too much of an advantage and it gives the referee an easy option when he should be sending players off.

• A team can only substitute a player/players when their is a stoppage in play where they maintain possession (Throw ins, Corner Kicks, Penalty Kicks, Indirect or Direct Free Kicks, Goal Kicks)
    • A player who is subbed off during a half cannot be subbed back on until the next half (this counts for extra time halves)
    • Player’s who receive a White Card can be subbed off but can not be subbed back on.
No, no, no, no. It works perfectly fine as it is. You really want to play Poku for 20 minutes, then take him off for a rest, then bring him back on for the last 20?

8. Attacking player to be ruled onside if any part of his body is level with the second-to-last defender.

I'm not sure what the difference is with the existing rule.

"A player is in an offside position when he or she is in the opponents' half of the pitch and closer to the opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second-to-last opponent "

The goalkeeper is considered a defender.

I preferred it when it was one. Often smaller teams can't put out more than 16 players. I think it is 11 in some international games. I remember a game between Notts County and Doncaster Rovers where a Chairman (owner), in financial difficulties, fired his manager, took charge himself, put his 15 year-old son in goal and put himself on the bench to make up the numbers

10. Games cannot end in a scoreless draw. If after 90 minutes the game is scoreless it goes into Extra time with a preceding Penalty Shootout if Extra Time leads to no goals.

If you really want this then go watch another sport. You may as well have TV commercial time outs.

10. New point system:

Home Games

Away Games

The existing points system encourages away team to go for the win. Back when it was 2 points for a win teams would try and draw away and win at home. Since the 3 points rule was invoked football has become far more attack minded.

I understand why an American new to the game would want soccer to look like every other American sport but I'm sure the majority of American fans who have watched it for any amount of time like the fact that it's different to other American sports.

If you want countdowns, revolving substitutions, sin-bins and to ban draws then you are watching the wrong sport. 99% of fans globally would consider your ideas desecration.

1- Im not new to the game. Im a first generation American of Italian descent and have been watching the game since I can remember and I love the game as is. This thread was for discussion purposes only as I found some of the suggestions interesting. Football is the only sport I watch...

2- This list is literally compiled from suggestion by non american sources, English Football Forums, FIFA itself etc etc. The only 2 things that I believe I got from American sources was the disallowing of scoreless draws and the ref replacement.

3- When I say the clock STOPS I dont mean it counts down I mean it stops. This isnt the American style minutes remaining thing, its the same clock now just stopping at those specific points to stop time wasting and to ensure more time is focused on actual football. So Again I dont know where you are getting "count down" from I never said that once.

4- White Cards are not sin bins.... I did not suggest sin bins. (Also by the way Sin bins have been suggested by non americans, dont assume every stupid suggestion has been American.

Pick a font color and stick with it and read peoples post. Your literally just coming up with responses to things I didnt suggest. Sin bins and a countdown are not on my list at all.

Also I refer to injury time as overtime in this post because if all the suggestions are used together then there would be no need for extra minutes due to injuries as the clock would of stopped to account for them.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. I just vehemently disagree with those ideas and apologies for suggesting you don't know anything about football.

I like not knowing how much time is left (they didn't used to give any indication at all). The ref is supposed to stop his watch anyway (though how he only gave 3 minutes on Sunday is beyond me). Rugby League has always had time-keepers but they rely on the referee's signal to stop the game.

I believe that to some extent time-wasting is an art-form, like playing keep-it-up in the corner, unless a player pretends to be injured in which case the ref should ignore him, or book him.

I mentioned sin-bins have been debated.

I think a white (or green) card may work in some situations, like dissent.

Authorities seem to believe that improving relationships between refs and players leads to better communication and better reffing. In England professional refs visit clubs to get to know the players, which is meant to build trust and refs call players by their first names on the pitch. Voting off refs at half-time would damage relationships and make refs afraid of making controversial decisions.
Bad decisions also help the atmosphere as there's nothing to get the crowd going like the ref making a mistake.

Mistakes seems to even out over the season, unless you are Manchester United, in which case the majority go in your favor.

For me the game works well as is. The expansion teams are averaging attendances higher than Serie A. I think MLS should loosen the purse strings.

Again, my apologies.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. I just vehemently disagree with those ideas and apologies for suggesting you don't know anything about football.

I like not knowing how much time is left (they didn't used to give any indication at all). The ref is supposed to stop his watch anyway (though how he only gave 3 minutes on Sunday is beyond me). Rugby League has always had time-keepers but they rely on the referee's signal to stop the game.

I believe that to some extent time-wasting is an art-form, like playing keep-it-up in the corner, unless a player pretends to be injured in which case the ref should ignore him, or book him.

I mentioned sin-bins have been debated.

I think a white (or green) card may work in some situations, like dissent.

Authorities seem to believe that improving relationships between refs and players leads to better communication and better reffing. In England professional refs visit clubs to get to know the players, which is meant to build trust and refs call players by their first names on the pitch. Voting off refs at half-time would damage relationships and make refs afraid of making controversial decisions.
Bad decisions also help the atmosphere as there's nothing to get the crowd going like the ref making a mistake.

Mistakes seems to even out over the season, unless you are Manchester United, in which case the majority go in your favor.

For me the game works well as is. The expansion teams are averaging attendances higher than Serie A. I think MLS should loosen the purse strings.

Again, my apologies.

I appreciate that.

I would put money on a 4th substitute being added within the next decade. Also white cards were seriously discussed. There is a very good chance of both those things happening and the historical trend of increased substitutions lends credence to it. Whether the 4th sub would be in extra time or in general that is more up in the air.

IFAB is much more conservative with changes to the laws while FIFA and many national FA's (Particularly in south america and non European countries) are much more open to changes and experiments.

Football is my favorite sport. With that said there are many changes I personally would love to see made to the game. Ive assembled a list based on various suggestions I liked from the web. (yes im bored)
    • Goal is scored
    • Ref cards a player
    • Substitution/s occur

New point system:

Home Games

Away Games

Anyone else have any ideas theyve heard/liked?

I dare you to walk into an English pub and say this shit out loud.

Didn't seem to help 'em this past season. Bummer, dude.

I dare you to walk into an English pub and say this shit out loud.

Good thing for the world that the game has adapted since the cambridge rules. I shudder to think what would of happened if an American suggested the backpass rule in the early nineties.....

Not-fake-NASL shootouts were implemented under a controversial trigger situation, and that gave it a bad rap. I kind of dig the rules for the shoutout itself. It is certainly more akin to scenarios seen in the normal course of the game.

Not-fake-NASL shootouts were implemented under a controversial trigger situation, and that gave it a bad rap. I kind of dig the rules for the shoutout itself. It is certainly more akin to scenarios seen in the normal course of the game.

Yes it could be done better and implemented better. Honestly anything is better than penalty shootouts..except brovsky and grabavoy

I still like my idea from above. Go to a golden goal scenario, and take a couple of players from each team off the pitch to open things up.

I'm sitting here watching the FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup where Italy is playing Tahiti in the semifinals and I'm realizing that a lot of your proposals to the game are evident in this match. I haven't read the rules of this game, but from what I see on tv...
1. The clock stops during stoppages of play (fouls, injures, goals).
2. Unlimited subs where you have to run and tag your teammate into the match.
3. It's 5 v. 5, including a goal. If a player gets a red (or two yellows), the other team is up a man for only 2 minutes, after which it resumes 5 v. 5.
4. There is music being played during the match, because for the most part, this is boring as shit. Actually, it's pretty exciting.

Last edited: