Chanot OUT with herniated disc in back

It's pretty wide range depending on where it happened and how bad. Most likely 6-12 weeks.

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
In other words, the rest of the season.
I'm watching the Dallas match at the moment (Sunday morning) and the announcers are talking about Chanot getting healthy and being back for the playoff run. Was my impression he was done but maybe it's nowhere near as bad as we thought. Just not sure at this point.

I'm watching the Dallas match at the moment (Sunday morning) and the announcers are talking about Chanot getting healthy and being back for the playoff run. Was my impression he was done but maybe it's nowhere near as bad as we thought. Just not sure at this point.

In the post match interview, Vieira said they have to take it day-by-day and see Monday if he's healthy enough to be back in training. In every other sport a herniated disk is a serious injury. Either NYCFC is lying about the true nature of the injury or Vieira failed his pre-med studies.

I would rather see Hernandez there than Mena. He at least knows his positioning on the field.

Reactions: Taurus
I would rather see Hernandez there than Mena. He at least knows his positioning on the field.

I think it depends somewhat on the opponent and who else is out there for us. If the opponent has a very athletic forward, then Mena's athleticism provides a key advantage in defense. If not, then I think we need Hernandez with his experience.

In the post match interview, Vieira said they have to take it day-by-day and see Monday if he's healthy enough to be back in training. In every other sport a herniated disk is a serious injury. Either NYCFC is lying about the true nature of the injury or Vieira failed his pre-med studies.

Sounds like PV is being consistent with his 'Lampard Approach' to injury recovery assessment and player availability.

Right. My feeling right now is that Mena should not see the field again. I don't even have to mention how atrocious his passing and positioning have been lately. But his so-called 1 v. 1 skills have only been slightly better than a cone, if not equivalent.
As much as Hernandez scares me as well, I would prefer to see him out there before Mena.
But I am praying that we see neither. Can we pool our DanBucks to get Chanot an oxygen tank for his home?

Right. My feeling right now is that Mena should not see the field again. I don't even have to mention how atrocious his passing and positioning have been lately. But his so-called 1 v. 1 skills have only been slightly better than a cone, if not equivalent.
As much as Hernandez scares me as well, I would prefer to see him out there before Mena.
But I am praying that we see neither. Can we pool our DanBucks to get Chanot an oxygen tank for his home?
So disappointed to be saying this, but I have to agree. Mena has typically been high reward (good one or one defending, athleticism) but high risk (propensity for losing guys, dodgy passing). The home win against the RB was a great example. He gave the ball away a bunch, but shut down BWP. You can live with that as long as he doesn't turn the ball over in really problematic spots.

All of a sudden, in the last two matches, he has been a disaster in all respects. I have no idea what to attribute it to, but I probably would give Hernandez a run as well even though he is replacement level. I'd like to see Mena work through whatever it is, but it is a tough time of year to be waiting on a guy. So frustrating.

It's Impossible to predict return timetables based on NYCFC diagnoses. There is the possibility they have it wrong and its not a disc causing the problem (50% or more asymptomatic people have herniated discs on MRI) There is the possibility he has a history of disc problems and this is a flare up. In that case he could be back this week if it calms down. Worst case is he herniated a disc in training. That is weeks of immobility, epidurals or surgery. Probably out for season in that case.

But the caveat, NYCFC sucks with injury reporting. Matarrita probably didn't have a high ankle sprain based on his recovery. Would need much more info to predict anything.

It's Impossible to predict return timetables based on NYCFC diagnoses. There is the possibility they have it wrong and its not a disc causing the problem (50% or more asymptomatic people have herniated discs on MRI) There is the possibility he has a history of disc problems and this is a flare up. In that case he could be back this week if it calms down. Worst case is he herniated a disc in training. That is weeks of immobility, epidurals or surgery. Probably out for season in that case.

But the caveat, NYCFC sucks with injury reporting. Matarrita probably didn't have a high ankle sprain based on his recovery. Would need much more info to predict anything.

If would almost be worth MLS expanding to Vegas just for the pressure the betting industry would put on MLS to clean up their injury reports and even internal rulebook.

If would almost be worth MLS expanding to Vegas just for the pressure the betting industry would put on MLS to clean up their injury reports and even internal rulebook.
Don't NFL coaches play around with the injury reports all the time? I'm pretty sure I remember something like Bill Bellicheck listing Tom Brady as questionable with a shoulder injury for like 50 games in a row despite no real injury being known.