Chicago postmatch

Watching the BTS, I did NOT like seeing that big ice pack on Villa's knee at the end - no matter how cute it was to see Luca playing with his shinguards. I suppose if there were a real issue, he would not have been standing there giving an interview, but nonetheless...

For an older player, he probably has an ice pack on his knees after every game. I highly doubt that's anything serious. Probably just preventive.

Watching the BTS, I did NOT like seeing that big ice pack on Villa's knee at the end - no matter how cute it was to see Luca playing with his shinguards. I suppose if there were a real issue, he would not have been standing there giving an interview, but nonetheless...
Wouldn't be too worried about it. Ice baths are commonplace after a hard effort in either practice or game, and short of giving an interview in the tub, an individual pack is the most expeditious way to get the cooling going.

For an older player, he probably has an ice pack on his knees after every game. I highly doubt that's anything serious. Probably just preventive.
Just watched the BTS back again and when Basti is helping Villa with his cramp you can see that he already has an adhesive brace on his knee. So he may have a minor knock that he's watching and protecting. Given his mobility during the game, it clearly doesn't look like a problem.

Just watched the BTS back again and when Basti is helping Villa with his cramp you can see that he already has an adhesive brace on his knee. So he may have a minor knock that he's watching and protecting. Given his mobility during the game, it clearly doesn't look like a problem.
Villa wouldn't be part of #Team30 if he didn't have daily aches & pains that don't hinder his play.

He has had the knee strapped up for the past year or so. Sometimes it's flesh colored tape, sometimes it's black.

Great team effort under the circumstances and the team was intense from start to finish. Excellent game from Villa and very well played game from Brillant.

I want to call out Sean Johnson however. He had such an important game and came up with key saves.

What I like about Johnson, he's a no BS keeper. He goes out and does his work.
When he lunges and makes a great save, it's because he needed to do it. When a standard save is required, he does just that (no theatrical fake jump, like many many keepers do) when he sees the ball is not going to hit the target, again no theatrics, he just watches the ball go out of play. Cool calm and collected.

The big game saver was the reaction tip-over at the end of the 1st half, when Ring's interception deflected the ball towards the goal, and Johnson tipped the ball over the goal. That was truly a world-class save.

Agree. Such a butt clenching moment.

Was that Ring or Brillant who deflected the ball on frame.

Falastur , as our resident PL expert, are there any other matches you can think of that were such monumental wins in the face of such long odds? PL games don't have the weather conditions that compare to the heat drain on the body from Saturday's Sauna, but surely teams have won after being down for 80min coupled with horrendous officiating, no? Or was this the gutsiest performance you've watched?

Reactions: LostAnvil
Could you imagine the shitstorm that would have ensued on here and elsewhere if that was Brillant that deflected it and it went in? Whereas I bet most people would have given Ring a pass on it.
It would have been torches and pitchforks.... once the red was issued, I came to terms with the fact we were going to lose on a sauna-like miserable day, so a tipped own-goal on a desperation lunge wasn't getting me too upset. But when SJ saved it I was beyond ecstatic.

Could you imagine the shitstorm that would have ensued on here and elsewhere if that was Brillant that deflected it and it went in? Whereas I bet most people would have given Ring a pass on it.

True, but Ring has earned the extra rope. Brillant already has an own goal to his name along with some poor performances this year. His rope was taught. Now, he has earned a good deal of slack - winning goal, great defense, getting up after two rough knocks. A great performance.

"We don't go down, we go up. We're thinking about running more because we are down one player less. We did it and we won this game...It was a tough game for the weather, for the conditions of the game. We played the best team in the league, we played three days ago, we were with ten men within the tenth minute of the first half. The game was crazy for us. It was so, so difficult and we did very well...We showed to everyone how strong we are today." - Capitano