Claudio Reyna Departs NYCFC; David Lee Promoted to Sporting Director

sbrylski

Registered
Apr 24, 2014
This forum loves megathreads and I don't love seeing the #ReynaOut rumor being discussed in 3+ different places.

Three questions upfront:

1. Where did this older rumor about CFG being upset over Gio Reyna's move to Dortmund come from? I didn't see it at the time.

2. What exactly did Twellman say? There's a big difference between "Reyna wants to be back[.]" and "Reyna wants to be back[, but...]."

3. Is there any other source for #ReynaOut than Twellman's comment last night?

1. It is an unsourced anonymous rumor that has become gospel here:

To be fair, the outlets reporting it are not unknowns, but it is still unsourced and anonymous.

2. Paraphrasing from memory, but it was definitely "Reyna wants to be back but CFG might have other ideas."

3. No. But at least we know who Twellman is.

This forum loves megathreads and I don't love seeing the #ReynaOut rumor being discussed in 3+ different places.

Three questions upfront:

1. Where did this older rumor about CFG being upset over Gio Reyna's move to Dortmund come from? I didn't see it at the time.

2. What exactly did Twellman say? There's a big difference between "Reyna wants to be back[.]" and "Reyna wants to be back[, but...]."

3. Is there any other source for #ReynaOut than Twellman's comment last night?
Twellman, for all of his animated hot takes, is very very keyed in with club/league/player insiders. I don’t doubt there’s teeth to this if he said it.

Then again, I also think he’s permanently concussed, so he may be mixing it up with the sacking of Kreis.

Wow. I assume that means the odds of GVB go way down as well. Full shakeup.

EDIT: Actually, it will be very telling whether this was CFG's decision or Reyna's. Twellman said Reyna wanted to be back, but if it comes out that both Dome and Reyna left willingly this offseason, that's incredibly damning on CFG.

giphy.gif

What’s the connection?

GVB and Claudio are good friends, Claudio named his son after GVB. So that's why there could be a belief that this would change our coach search. Also, a new sporting director would theoretically hire the new coach, so if the current SD leaves, you figure the new person will hire the coach unless it's David Lee, as the article intimates.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Gio Reyna is literally named after GVB, it's a good bet that Claudio was a big GVB advocate as the next hire. Doesn't rule it out tho.
Can’t believe I didn’t know that. GVB is still a City guy, right?

So joining up with an DBag like Precourt says all that needs to be said about CFG.

Our ownership is a pile of trash. Full stop.

Reactions: canchon and adam