Columbus - Postmatch

Keep Mata at left back.
He didn’t play left back last night and he was the LB starter on paper. He was constantly caught up field leaving acres of space behind him. The color guy was slamming him for being out of position and acting like a wing.

No, Mata is not the answer at left back.

Reactions: Jock
He didn’t play left back last night and he was the LB starter on paper. He was constantly caught up field leaving acres of space behind him. The color guy was slamming him for being out of position and acting like a wing.

No, Mata is not the answer at left back.

First half:

qucWvz1.png

Second half:

bKcnLcy.png

Reactions: Christopher Jee
First half:

qucWvz1.png

Second half:

bKcnLcy.png
What’s your point? You’re saying there was more action in our LB area second half? If so, that’s a halfhearted argument with no context provided. Afful was bombing forward like he was a forward, and that was Mata’s man once he shifted to LW. TMac wasn’t sliding to help like a DMid is supposed to do. Hell, Afful scoring his goal was because nobody closed him down, and who should have done that besides the dynamic duo of Mata and TMac, Mata because it was his man and TMac because it was his area in front of the back line. Sweat was under siege back there because neither of those two gave him outlets nor tracked their marks.

Keep Mata off the field.

He couldn’t even track the opposing FB and keep him from taking not one, but two long range shots in a row from the top of the box. That twice Mata’s been bested by Afful in Columbus.

Come on, man. That’s a silly fantasy even by the fan-fiction standards this board regularly observes
I didn't mean that he does it intentionally. I meant subconsciously.

Who's the top left back in the academy?

Maybe that's a position where we can play the kid(s).

In a way Midas is right (the club didn't address the weakest point before the season: the left back), but to single out Sweat week in week out is a bit tiring.
In a way, Midas is absolutely right. To confound your dislike of the fact I’ve said it for two years with our FO shitting the bed is not sound analysis.

In any event, Just coming to say one thing I didn’t get in before, Michalik is comoletely wrong to blame Ibeagha for Meram fouling for the goal. Who in the universe can actually jump when a 170lbs is pressing straight down.

Total joke that goal stood. Obvious foul, not even reviewed. Typical PRO.

The color guy was slamming him for being out of position and acting like a wing.
Michalik is an idiot. See above.

Doesn’t mean I agree with anything re left back. We don’t have one that’s close to competent.

Can Dome be so desperate to show he's head coach material that he puts out subpar starting lineups in a perverse effort to show he's good at making adjustments?

We had no one else available! Joe Scally was in the 18 because literally every healthy position player was in the 18.

We can criticize having McNamara starting, but for some people on here to say Bedoya should start -- and would have been a better option than McNamara -- is ridiculous when he's never played above the USL. People wanted Awuah to start? Fine. Reasonable. Maybe he could have. Here's why Tommy started: He's the safe pick. You know what you're getting with him. It's not necessarily a good player, but he's a player who can avoid major mistakes, even if he doesn't add anything.

People wanted Lewis to start -- again, reasonable. I wouldn't have started Wallace, and judging by his deletion at halftime, I'm not sure Dome will do it again. Lewis definitely added more in attack than Wallace has, and Lewis should be starting on Wednesday.

I think we're being far too critical of the coaching when we had 2 guys suspended, five guys injured, and two guys out on loan. That's 9 unavailable players on a 28-man roster. We may not even be able to field a full 18 on Wednesday, and we were just barely able to last night. The team isn't playing well right now, but to act as if the loss is on the personnel choices seems a little farfetched when we had 16 position players available for selection.

Last edited:
Source? I feel like this isn’t true. But I have no facts.

In any event, give me Sands. All day. Every day. Over either.

Sure, but Sands was still on loan. Could he have been recalled? Absolutely. Should he have been? probably. But he wasn't. So based on who was available, the options to start were McNamara and Awuah.

And I'm sorry, I was wrong. Awuah started against Seattle last month. So he's had one career start.

Sure, but Sands was still on loan. Could he have been recalled? Absolutely. Should he have been? probably. But he wasn't. So based on who was available, the options to start were McNamara and Awuah.

And I'm sorry, I was wrong. Awuah started against Seattle last month. So he's had one career start.
Still think you are 100% wrong Awuah has no starts. I wager you he does.