Core Player Spot

BlueWarrior

Registered
Jun 9, 2014
CT
I am not sure if anyone posted a thread for a core player spot, if so mods feel free to put this with it. But I found a pretty good article "demystifying" the supposed core player spot,

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/socce...-a--can-add-giovani-dos-santos-211105076.html

In summation, it is for players who make above the max salary for a non dp player, 436,000, but "less" than 750,000- but there is ways to use the spot on a player making more than that by utilizing more allocation which is how la galaxy could sign dos santos by switching omar gonzalez to a core player. . This could be possibly in effect next year. And it is basically a way to use allocation money to pay down large salaries.

With that said, who would you like to see us use the core player spot on?

2 players that are somewhat in the realm of possibility

1) jonathon dos santos- if his brother comes here, could possibly join him. And would be a huge marketing plus for us. I can already picture the commercials for when nycfc takes on la- "brother vs brother". Plus, he is a decent defensive midfielder which would add a lot to our team. And I believe his salary is said to be in the 1.3 million dollar range.
2) danny williams. He has been in great form, and could want out of an average championship team and may want to jump ship to play with lampard, villa, mix, and pirlo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul
Would love to get Danny Williams. Great athlete with BIG upside. He'd be a tremendous upgrade over Jacobson for years to come.

Reactions: BlueWarrior
I am not sure if anyone posted a thread for a core player spot, if so mods feel free to put this with it. But I found a pretty good article "demystifying" the supposed core player spot,

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/socce...-a--can-add-giovani-dos-santos-211105076.html

In summation, it is for players who make above the max salary for a non dp player, 436,000, but "less" than 750,000- but there is ways to use the spot on a player making more than that by utilizing more allocation which is how la galaxy could sign dos santos by switching omar gonzalez to a core player. . This could be possibly in effect next year. And it is basically a way to use allocation money to pay down large salaries.

1) jonathon dos santos- if his brother comes here, could possibly join him. And would be a huge marketing plus for us. I can already picture the commercials for when nycfc takes on la- "brother vs brother". Plus, he is a decent defensive midfielder which would add a lot to our team. And I believe his salary is said to be in the 1.3 million dollar range.
2) danny williams. He has been in great form, and could want out of an average championship team and may want to jump ship to play with lampard, villa, mix, and pirlo.

I think they will slide Mix into that spot so they dont have to keep buying his salary down with allocation money. Assuming the plan is for Mix to be around for a long time that's the safest way they can scale his pay as needed to keep him around

Danny williams is in contract for two more years and is worth 2.2 M dollars/year. I don't see how he fits here with this type of contract.

Danny williams is in contract for two more years and is worth 2.2 M dollars/year. I don't see how he fits here with this type of contract.
Oh, I see exactly how he fits on the field. I'm still firmly in the "one player who could change our season more than any other is an athletic destroyer."

But yeah, getting him is a pipe dream from a financial standpoint. I'm shocked no EPL teams have gone after him. I'd imagine his injuries and the resulting lack of an English body of work are the biggest reason.

He's a fine player, and I'll be shocked if a healthy DWill isn't on the U.S. roster in 2018.