D Train To The Stadium

Gene

Registered
Donor
Mar 19, 2014
Down & Out
Just picked up a pair of tickets for the Philly game Saturday afternoon. In accordance with my OCD, I immediately went to the MTA web page to see how the 4 will be running, and due to construction it won't be going below the Brooklyn Bridge stop over the weekend.

When this has happened in the past I made my way to Broad St. and caught the J to Chambers, and then transferred to the 4 at BB. For several reasons this is a trek I really wish to avoid this go round.

Checking the map it looks like an easier trip will be taking the 1 to 59th and catching the D there. So my question being, has anyone taken the D to the stadium? Good trip? Reliable? PITA? Avoid?

Thank you in advance!

They generally are ok ( at least from my experiences) but they run more to like every 15 mins or so and they may run local so check if that's the case

I mean weekday games I have taken it from midtown leaving 5:30 ish for a seven a clock game and I make it in an hour and that's after transferring to the B local

Reactions: Gene and Goodfella
I take the D train from Columbus Circle every game. It is reasonably dependable. It usually comes within 5-10 minutes, but at worst 15ish. It's then a super quick ride, it feels like 10 minutes. [Edited to avoid further comments from Beavis, Butthead, and/or Goodfella Goodfella]

Reactions: SoupInNYC and Gene
Thank you gents! Appreciate it!

Oh, and as a curiosity, how is it after the game? Is it as more or less crowded as the elevated 4? The same perhaps?

Thank you gents! Appreciate it!

Oh, and as a curiosity, how is it after the game? Is it as more or less crowded as the elevated 4? The same perhaps?
After the game, it runs every few minutes. It is indeed crowded, not Mardi Gras uncomfortable crowded, but full. And it usually runs local(ish) back, so it's a longer ride.

Reactions: Gene
D train is good above Columbus Circle. Recently on weekends it has been running on the A line below Columbus, so pay attention if you want to get on further downtown.

I've found the D train to be less crowded than the 4.

I've had better luck getting to the games on the D train than the 4, which always seems to run in to issues before the games. They seem to put on extra 4 trains after the game though, which is useful, particularly for me as I live on the 6 line.

Reactions: Gene
Could not have gone smoother.

On the way up I don't we waited more than a couple of minutes for the D at 59th St.. The only small complaint was coming home. The train was in the 161st St. station when we got there, but it sat close to 10 minutes before closing the doors and leaving.

Reactions: JayH
Could not have gone smoother.

On the way up I don't we waited more than a couple of minutes for the D at 59th St.. The only small complaint was coming home. The train was in the 161st St. station when we got there, but it sat close to 10 minutes before closing the doors and leaving.
That's a complaint if you're one of the first on the train, a godsend if you're one of the last!