Donovan Left Off Of Usmnt

EDsta

Registered
Seasoned Supporter
May 1, 2014
Queens Village
So the announcement of the final 23 Man roster came out today lacking Landon Donovan.

Not going to lie happy to see my Bayern youth player Julian Green there though.

Thoughts?!

Whether in form or not, when you watch Donovan play on the NT you can see he is still world's ahead of the rest of the squad.

He's lost his pace, but his first touch, agility, off-the-ball, and technical ability are unmatched as an American.

He's been with us for over a decade. He'd be valuable even if he came off the bench.

I think Klinsmann has had it out for Landon since his sabbatical.

I'm disappointed and I disagree with the decision.

We sit out a guy that said on national television that he doesn't feel fit anymore. That he can't train fully with the rest of the team because his body can't handle it. And people are mad... Brazil leaves out Ronaldinho who would give anything to play and has been working his old ass off to play and people are ok with it... Because they have better players, so do we as it pertains to Donovan.

We sit out a guy that said on national television that he doesn't feel fit anymore. That he can't train fully with the rest of the team because his body can't handle it. And people are mad... Brazil leaves out Ronaldinho who would give anything to play and has been working his old ass off to play and people are ok with it... Because they have better players, so do we as it pertains to Donovan.
I know, who could he say those things, what a terrible attitude, he is 32 not 42. I would argue he should be in his prime, players should still be fit at 32 and combine that with experience and this should be his best WC. Ask Andrea Pirlo the same question and you will get a tottally different response. Landon is soft and I am happy he didnt make it, i have a ton of respect for Klinsman. Also, he was our best player i dont deny that but we have been a pretty terrible international side , fans need to put that in perspective, he would never compare to top players of the top international sides. The goal is to be a top international side and moving away from him is progress, over the next few years we will see players on the USMNT that are far away better than he was.

I just watched a clip on the ESPN series 'US soccer March to Brazil' where both Donovan and JK talk about making the squad. I had not see it before and I was admittedly disappointed if not confused as to the reasoning behind the decision.
Not so much now. It is clear that Donovan is a shell of himself both physically and mentally, and Klinsmann knows it. He wasn't going to get playing time under Klinsmann and why bring him along as a potential distraction. We have enough veteran presence on the squad as is and let's see what we have in some of the less experienced players.

Neil Young said "It's better to burn out, than to fade away". Donovan's legacy is solidified. He is burnt out and I believe we are lucky to have JK (and the Federation) strong enough to make a tough decision.

I agree completely. We need to move forward and build this team with some youth.
yeah, i have said before but when you look at MLS investment in player development and the academies etc, the fruits of that should be coming in the next 4-8 years which conincides with garbers 2022 plan. Couple that with the young players on the current roster from Europe and we may finally be a respected international side.

yeah, i have said before but when you look at MLS investment in player development and the academies etc, the fruits of that should be coming in the next 4-8 years which conincides with garbers 2022 plan. Couple that with the young players on the current roster from Europe and we may finally be a respected international side.

But does Klinsmann agree with this? I guess American academies are OK but he said he wants his guys in Europe...and playing in Europe. That's why Jozy and ArJo were locks.

I hope Jurgen's hostility towards MLS was purely part of the show to throw Landon out because MLS NEEDS to be the hand that feeds the USMNT.

La Liga feeds Spain.
Bundesliga feeds Germany.
MLS needs to feed USA.

Jozy would have been 1000x better off playing for pretty much ANY MLS team over that Sunderland team.

I mean, ask yourself, which do you think is better, Clint Dempsey sitting on the bench for all of the EPL season at Tottenham or Clint Dempsey being on fire in MLS? I'll take the on fire Dempsey out of MLS every time.

Tougher opponents or not, there's definitely something to be said for confidence and right now Clint is confident that if he gets the ball at his feet, he can put it into the net. That's what we need.

Reactions: D_RoyJenkins
I agree about Dempsey but not Jozy. Jozy needs the European experience. His confidence might be down, but he learned to be a better striker over there.

Something that came up today in discussion after Fox threw up the Donovan record on Facebook was someone mentioned that the USMNT needed Donovan. Then they preceded to speak ill of the MLS and how they don't watch it. Which begs the question, how do you know of Donovan's current abilities if you don't watch him play?!
The majority of those who agree with Jurgen do so because they see with their own eyes his lack of fitness and determination. Watching the first 30/30 on espn and listening to Landon cemented my stance on not wanting him in our roster. He gave up on himself long before Jurgen did.

Well I guess in a month we shall see whether or not his plan pans out. Do I see the team advancing out of the group stage, no. But I do see this youth team getting plenty of experience and being primed and ready for Russia

I hope Jurgen's hostility towards MLS was purely part of the show to throw Landon out because MLS NEEDS to be the hand that feeds the USMNT.

La Liga feeds Spain.
Bundesliga feeds Germany.
MLS needs to feed USA.

Jozy would have been 1000x better off playing for pretty much ANY MLS team over that Sunderland team.

I mean, ask yourself, which do you think is better, Clint Dempsey sitting on the bench for all of the EPL season at Tottenham or Clint Dempsey being on fire in MLS? I'll take the on fire Dempsey out of MLS every time.

Tougher opponents or not, there's definitely something to be said for confidence and right now Clint is confident that if he gets the ball at his feet, he can put it into the net. That's what we need.
Dont forget serie A and italy they one the world cup in 2006 with only one player that played outside serie a. It used to be an unwritten requirement that in order to play for the national team you must play in serie a

I am completely fine with the decision - Donovan is admittedly not all there ... but I want to say that I too am SUPER PUMPED about Julian Green!!! I think we have a decent mix of experience and youth without Donovan ... we shall see just a few more weeks!