FIFA World Cup 2018 - Final

Yep great post! At what point is the line drawn, because theoretically, every player should be cap-tied to Ethiopia and some other eastern African countries where all mankind originated. And if not there, then a few thousand years later in Egypt, the Sinai, Mesopotamia, etc? I jest of course, but it’s really small-minded for people to complain about immigrants wanting to represent their chosen/new country.

I could cap tie to Israel. Sadly, I’m still waiting by the phone for my call...

Reactions: JayH and Shwafta
Don’t wait, buy your ticket and fly on over there. Show up at the next NT camp in your fanatics full-kit wanker and tell the coach to put you in! Show them what a good Long Island man-child can do!

Last edited:
I used to play sunday soccer when I was younger... Maybe they're looking for two players? ;)
Though technically I guess in my situation it would be "I could cap tie to America." since I wasn't born here. lol

Reactions: adam
Is it really a thing though? We had one post here by one of our most ridiculous contributors. I haven't seen it expressed elsewhere. In fact, I saw easily a couple dozen heavily liked and shared Tweets that made the opposite point: they celebrated the fact that France's team was comprised of people from various origins and religions and cultures. I have not seen anything, again except for the one post here, making any sort of negative point or implication that this was a bad thing. Am I just out of touch with this sort of negativity or do we have lots of people here arguing against something that isn't really widespread? Is it really a trope? Or are all the posts on this topic responding to a single local troll?

And no, I don't want links. If it is, sadly, a thing, someone can just tell me. I'll take your word for it.
I've seen several things on social media expressing this and the only item where I noticed something celebrating the diversity was Obama's speech in South Africa the other day.

I'm not certain it's widespread, but it does exist out there.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Is it really a thing though? We had one post here by one of our most ridiculous contributors. I haven't seen it expressed elsewhere. In fact, I saw easily a couple dozen heavily liked and shared Tweets that made the opposite point: they celebrated the fact that France's team was comprised of people from various origins and religions and cultures. I have not seen anything, again except for the one post here, making any sort of negative point or implication that this was a bad thing. Am I just out of touch with this sort of negativity or do we have lots of people here arguing against something that isn't really widespread? Is it really a trope? Or are all the posts on this topic responding to a single local troll?

And no, I don't want links. If it is, sadly, a thing, someone can just tell me. I'll take your word for it.

It is a thing. Happily, not as big a thing as those celebrating the team's diversity, but it's around.

And I am not referring to those who denigrate the team's black players. Instead the problem is coming from progressive types, who in celebrating the African heritage of some of the players, proceed to downplay the French nature of the victory. Trevor Noah did a whole segment on this. These sentiments not only ignore the contributions of the white French team members, but they act to underscore racial divisions. I don't think you can simultaneously celebrate the diversity of the team and what that means for modern France and say things like "Africa won the World Cup". Indeed, I think saying things like that only help legitimize those who would say players of African heritage have no place on the French team. It's a very dangerous and inappropriate game to play.