First Game Tifo

CornellBigRed

Registered
Seasoned Supporter
Apr 24, 2014
Rye Brook, Westchester
So I love tifo. I think some of the best tifo in the entire world is done right here in MLS. Some of the work in Seattle and Portland are incredible. Although plenty of MLS teams do excellent work. I expect that the Third Rail will acquit itself well. I'm not sure if anyone in the group has any experience with tifo so I imagine we will have to start small. Nevertheless, we have almost a year to come up with and idea and make it a reality so I think we can be somewhat ambitious.

My intial thought was for a tifo the size of one bleacher section (assuming we will be in the bleachers). The idea I was thinking of was one appropriate for the first game in NYCFC history. Perhaps the NYCFC badge swaddled in a blanket (i.e. it's a baby) and Yankee Stadium is it's crib. Maybe there is someone leaning over the crib which could represent the Third Rail. Then it would say "together from the start" or something to that effect. Or even a guy, representing the Third Rail, holding a swaddled NYCFC feeding it a bottle with "support" on the side. Then in a speech bubble, the guy says "this will make you grow up strong!"

Those are just a couple of my ideas and I hope others have even better tifo ideas. Tifo is not only awesome to display, but it is a great way to bond with fellow Third Rail members (although I imagine the subgroup would be doing the tifo since that is how it will be funded, to my understanding.) We will spend a bunch of time painting inside the lines in a big open space creating artwork of which we can all be proud. I look forward to it immensely.

Well idk about the first day one but for our home game against RB we could have a matador. But I feel like the PC police will bitch and moan about animal cruelty

Reactions: Scott McCarthy
Here's a tifo idea I got some time ago, but didn't have the time to sketch anything out yet...

Huge subway car banners in 1:1 scale, with top-to-bottom graffiti letters, blockbuster style. Here are some outlines from a subway car sketch book if anyone wants to give it a go already:
OTRTRAINPADART.jpg

I feel like something religious might not go over so well

As a Christian myself I could see how this could be offensive..but it can also not be offensive. Same as the sheikh debacle. It is all about how you communicate the message/framing the message. People didn't get that we were celebrating the sheikh because we didn't make it clear enough.

If we do the last supper motif, we have to do it in a subtle but clever way. Instead of doing a like for like drawing with just the faces replaced, we can do a more modern version with the players in some sort of uniform breaking bread with the redbulls in the corner. We put enough clues in and people will get it as a clever jab. At the same time hopefully it'll be far enough removed from the literal message in the bible that it won't offend everyone.

Not saying there is a right or wrong obviously, but just saying with any sensitive material it's always best to consider how the message is being put out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: CornellBigRed
I laughed at the last supper, but what are we resurrecting?

I laughed at the last supper, but what are we resurrecting?
Excellent point!

No rising of the Kreis. He was already on the top before he was named coach.

Catholics would be up in arms. They tend to cry persecution oververy minor things. So you've gotta CYA...never touch religion.

I'd like to see tifo with King Kong or some other NYC figure holding a pair of Red Bulls on leashes. With some clever title thrown in there.

Or a train with a cow-pusher with NYC in the background knocking the two Red Bulls off the tracks with something like "The Real NYC Football Club".

I think we should do a red bull on a plough, but with a train conductor instead of a farmer.

"WE RUN THIS TOWN."

Reactions: einwindir
Not offended at all... but I think it's a terrible opinion. Every Catholic I know is a conservative and we don't go running to the PC police like the liberals do.
Not talking about you, unless you are a member of The Catholic League I doubt you would be offended. I come from a Catholic family...it doesn't offend me.

Liberal economic philosophy has nothing to do with the conversation so I'm not sure where that came from. I was just mentioning why depicting Jesus Christ might be a bad idea to Catholics.

Edit: added a word

This thread has taken a potentially dangerous turn, I recommend we holster any further broad opinions or expectations of a large and herterogenous group of people.

Back to tifo, I wonder how we would choose a design. As we can see in this thread everyone has a different design they would like to see in a tifo. I see two options. The first is that ideas are submitted to the grand tifo poobah who parses them for good bits and bad bits. The second is a vote amongst the membership for what the basic design is which then is created by our graphic desginer/tifo poobah.

Reactions: Sean Og
This thread has taken a potentially dangerous turn, I recommend we holster any further broad opinions or expectations of a large and herterogenous group of people.

Back to tifo, I wonder how we would choose a design. As we can see in this thread everyone has a different design they would like to see in a tifo. I see two options. The first is that ideas are submitted to the grand tifo poobah who parses them for good bits and bad bits. The second is a vote amongst the membership for what the basic design is which then is created by our graphic desginer/tifo poobah.
Who is Tifo Czar?