Good signing?

It would certainly be an interesting signing, but that story is two months old. Xavi himself has already come out and denied that he intends to move to MLS.

Reactions: Gene
barca also has that no trade ban in effect now. they can't buy or sell players so this would not work unless they cancelled his contract which i don't see them doing. if he did come here it would be next april so he would only miss 2 or 3 games

Barca can appeal and the deal can be done still if it is completed before the ban begins. These deals can't happen till the transfer window opens from my knowledge. Xavi is the architect at Barca so it could be a great piece to build a team around.

barca also has that no trade ban in effect now. they can't buy or sell players so this would not work unless they cancelled his contract which i don't see them doing. if he did come here it would be next april so he would only miss 2 or 3 games

The latest reports are suggesting that they can sell, just not buy. It's a classic case of "the only ones who know for sure whether they can or can't are the ones who are legally obliged not to say and those who make a living out of telling lies" though, so who knows?

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
How exactly can they enforce a rule about not being allowed to sell. If there is a mutual agreement (especially with someone at the career stage Xavi is) then what exactly could stop them? Bet they end up winning their appeal anyway but if not then it hardly takes a genius to work out Xavi's services may be in greater demand. I'm hoping good designated players on the slightly lower side of 30 can be brought here anyway. Anything should be done to get Ibrahimovic though if the opportunity is there.

There might be questions about ego (which for me is fine as long as its funny) but big personalities like Ibrahimovic can be good. They sell tickets and bring some attitude. Don't want every single player to be a total "goody two shoes." Anyone who buys a Premier League Club (or any other top league and can't afford to be title contenders) should appeal to the "cult of personality" instead. In NYCFC case big personalities will bring headlines and in Zlatan's case at least they are mostly good.

Its all about mindset, mentality and attitude.

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
They can stop them because player transfers don't just spontaneously happen when clubs say that they've come to an agreement. The national FA has to agree to it, and if the two clubs are from different countries, UEFA/FIFA has to approve it too. If Barca genuinely are/were banned from selling players, and they agreed a fee for, say, Xavi, with a foreign club, then the Spanish FA and FIFA would just refuse to ratify the transfer. That would mean that the team he transferred to would not be allowed to register him as a player, and would be penalised cripplingly for playing him in games. Referees would probably simply refuse to start matches where he was playing for his new team.

Think about it. Your question is really no different from asking "how can they enforce a rule saying that you can't sell players outside of the transfer window", and yet I don't remember any club ever trying to get away with blatantly transferring players in the middle of March. The exact same systems which are in place to stop this outside of transfer windows would be used to block Barca from selling anyone full stop. In fact, they're the exact same systems which will prevent them from signing anyone too, and yet no-one is questioning whether FIFA has the ability to stop them buying players.

The only way Ibra will ever suit up for a Jason Kreis NYCFC team is if the City powers that be tell him he must take him.

Ibra is the polar opposite of what Kreis looks for in a player.

OK lets look over the quotes in that article...

Firstly from Reyna...

"...right guy, a top professional. Those are the kind of people we’re looking for."

Then from Kreis...

"...to make sure they’re not only the right player for this team but the right person."

Well look over the article NYTimes did on Zlatan a couple of days ago. Zlatan points out if he is such a difficult personality how has he managed to gell with so many new teammates? What Reyna, Kreis define as the right person might be referring to competitive spirit, work ethic, etc. Is Zlatan not somebody who has embraced both of those values? Players like Michael Bradley (who Reyna is referring to) are fine and if designated players, squad players, etc are all good, honorable people then that's great. Gareth Barry is probably a likely possibility and he certainly fits but would he draw anything extra? Questions should be asked like how many extra tickets would they sell? How much publicity would they be likely to generate? Soccer in this country is still growing and the "cult of personality" will do just as much to draw people in as continually improving standards. Barry or Bradley wouldn't hit the front page of the New York Post but Zlatan would. If the club is guaranteed to sell out week in and week out (and eventually there's every chance of that happening) perhaps then the focus can be entirely on what happens on the pitch rather than what happens to an extent off it.

That's why there should be at least one person like Zlatan signed. People like that draw in the headlines. This is New York remember its got to be cutting edge. Balotelli is an even more extreme example (albeit less successful and much younger) and while it would be almost impossible fits the bill for me as well. Keane and Cantona were horrible people (a complete lunatic in Cantona's case) but would it be wise for Kreis to ignore that level of talent?

Kreis owes it to himself in a sense because top managers prove they can handle more difficult personalities. Salt Lake was a different scenario altogether.

Let me make it clear I'm not criticising Kreis. Some people probably expected a bigger name but many (myself included) feel he's the right man. We knew it was important to bring someone in who understood the workings of MLS irrelevant as to whether he was a massive global name or not. He's proven what he can do as a top MLS coach but winning the MLS with someone like Zlatan involved would do more for growth than a team consisting entirely of Barry's, Bradleys, etc. Its difficult to define the points I'm trying to express as while Beckham was a big name (and certainly headline grabbing) there's no sense of danger or humor in what he takes anywhere.

Last edited:
You started by analysing the actual quotes, but then ignored them. As you yourself quoted, the player needs to be "a top professional". Zlatan is the anti-thesis of a professional - he is vain, arrogant, conceited, with little regard for his fellow teammates and with a belief that he makes the team. That's not what a top professional is.

The second quote is just blatantly suggesting that they want someone who has the right characteristics - someone who will help build the dressing room as well as aid the team on the pitch. Again, Zlatan is in every conceivable way not your man.

All this said, I'm of the camp who believe that he wouldn't want to leave the top European leagues until he realises himself that he is past it though. He has another 2-3 seasons in Europe yet.

Don't think I ignored it at all hence the point about Zlatan fitting into new teams successfully despite his egotism. I would rather have him than a humorless egotist like Ronaldo. (Not that he would be realistic anytime soon). We know Kreis can build a team and we know he's good enough to win the MLS. The key thing as well however is the next step. Winning even consistently is only part of it and even quality of play. The MLS needs names such as Zlatan and major personalities draw. People who the local (and national) media would go out of their way to interview. Maybe winning the MLS should be the first step whether there's truly big personalities (and by that I mean drawing headlines as well as leadership) in the team or not.

I'm no fan of Beckham but getting a major sports star outside soccer involved in his setup broadens the appeal. I don't know much about LeBron James but I've heard he's an egomaniac and that combined with talent is probably just as big a reason for his stardom. My recent suggestion of appointing a major name as honorary president (preferably but not essentially soccer) was based on that.

Major European clubs are different and don't need the personalities so much.

You started by analysing the actual quotes, but then ignored them. As you yourself quoted, the player needs to be "a top professional". Zlatan is the anti-thesis of a professional - he is vain, arrogant, conceited, with little regard for his fellow teammates and with a belief that he makes the team. That's not what a top professional is.

Ronaldo is vain, arrogant, conceited and with little regard for his fellow teammates and with a belief he makes the team. But he's a top professional, so I think what you say is totally nonsense. Ronaldo is the figurehead of professionalism but many people hate him. And no I am not a guy who adores him or something like that.