LAFC - Postmatch

tenor.gif

lol cmon man, this isnt your first day with Mario Mario on the forums.
Very true, I've come to expect the random "Herrera sucks" or the homophobic "jokes", but I still don't get this as nobody (I dont think?) has been claiming that Ibeagha is an amazing defender?

I honestly think he should have taken a slight touch there to try and round the keeper. As it was, it was pretty easy for the keeper to judge where ball and player would meet and rush to that spot for a save. Another touch might have given Medina space on an open goal. It's also possible that the keeper would have been able to execute a tackle, but it's also possible that the keeper would have taken out Medina, leading to a penalty and a second yellow.
The biggest problem in that sequence was Villa holding on to the ball too long. If he plays it two steps earlier, Medina can accelerate onto the ball and even take a touch before he shoots or crosses to the back post to Berget

As it went, Medina had to slow up a bit and didn't realistically have any space to do anything other than what he did.

Overall i didnt think we looked good and were lucky to get away with a point. It took practically a PK and then another miracale goal from Shradi. Thats not how i want to win games, and is not sustainable going forward and does not inspire confidence for the playoffs.

We're worrying about the playoffs? It's May! We haven't even played a third of the season yet, and we just had a ridiculously-tough stretch of games. Can we take a step back and realize that we've had two home games in the last 2 months, we've already played at NE, ATL, and LAFC, and we're still four points off the Supporters' Shield standings?

You're not going to look great against a team like LAFC, because they're good. You just hope to manage a result against them, and we did that. The Portland and Red Bulls games are reasons to worry, but we're still so far from the playoffs it's too early to worry about whether the team is ready for it. Let's get to August before we start thinking that way.

We're worrying about the playoffs? It's May! We haven't even played a third of the season yet, and we just had a ridiculously-tough stretch of games. Can we take a step back and realize that we've had two home games in the last 2 months, we've already played at NE, ATL, and LAFC, and we're still four points off the Supporters' Shield standings?

You're not going to look great against a team like LAFC, because they're good. You just hope to manage a result against them, and we did that. The Portland and Red Bulls games are reasons to worry, but we're still so far from the playoffs it's too early to worry about whether the team is ready for it. Let's get to August before we start thinking that way.
No. IT BEGINS NOW!

Reactions: Christopher Jee

im analyzing the team. and thinking about where we need adjustments to make a playoff run. The time to analyze and criticize is now where there is still plenty of time for changes to be made. But i guess ill just go fuck myself instead.

Nobody’s brought this up yet, so here goes.....

NYCFC lost out last night on either a PK or LAFC receiving a red card at the end of the match. Penso fcked up when he went to the video review and then ignored it. We don’t know if he was reviewing the hit done to Herrera or something in the box, but Video Review is only supposed to alert the ref to obvious Red Cards or PKs, and for the VR official to call Penso over, it was obvious to them, otherwise ignore it; and if obvious enough to alert, Penso must defer to it. So either LA should have been down a man with time left on the clock and us getting a free kick at the top of the box, or we should have had a game winning PK attempt.

Again, if it wasn’t clear and obvious, then the VR assistant would not have alerted Penso.

NYCFC lost out last night on either a PK or LAFC receiving a red card at the end of the match. Penso fcked up when he went to the video review and then ignored it. We don’t know if he was reviewing the hit done to Herrera or something in the box, but Video Review is only supposed to alert the ref to obvious Red Cards or PKs, and for the VR official to call Penso over, it was obvious to them, otherwise ignore it; and if obvious enough to alert, Penso must defer to it. So either LA should have been down a man with time left on the clock and us getting a free kick at the top of the box, or we should have had a game winning PK attempt.

Again, if it wasn’t clear and obvious, then the VR assistant would not have alerted Penso.

It's good to bring this up, as I was wondering if anyone had any idea what the possible incident was.

I don't agree that we have to have gotten screwed. The standard is only that there may be clear and obvious error, and then the official can decide whether to look.

By the way, I thought Penso did a good job last night. He got our PK wrong, but also corrected when he saw it. Rest of the night was pretty tight and consistent.

It's good to bring this up, as I was wondering if anyone had any idea what the possible incident was.

I don't agree that we have to have gotten screwed. The standard is only that there may be clear and obvious error, and then the official can decide whether to look.

By the way, I thought Penso did a good job last night. He got our PK wrong, but also corrected when he saw it. Rest of the night was pretty tight and consistent.

it could have easily gone against us. i didnt see any incidents but what if they were talking about a possible red card to one of our players and he said no.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
it could have easily gone against us. i didnt see any incidents but what if they were talking about a possible red card to one of our players and he said no.
Good point. Due to where the ball was, only NYC could have benefited from a PK or free kick, but a red card could have been anyone, though still more likely on defense than offense.

Reactions: Kangaroo Jack
The standard is only that there may be clear and obvious error, and then the official can decide whether to look.
But that’s just it, if the VR brings it up when the Ref on the field didn’t make any sort of call, not talking about getting a call wrong, then it was clear and obvious that it happened and the ref missed it.

How often does play in MLS stop because the VR asst sees something that didn’t get any call, almost never, it’s usually to correct a wrong call. And there’s got to be a point when the refs begin to defer and trust the VR asst just like they do with their sideline assts - right now they’re refusing to give up any control. And no, I don’t want frivolous calls going our way, but last night was highly suspect.

I thought that the potential red card might have been for Kaye (??) mugging Herrera in the final minutes. But that happened way before the final set piece if I remember correctly.

We're worrying about the playoffs? It's May! We haven't even played a third of the season yet, and we just had a ridiculously-tough stretch of games. Can we take a step back and realize that we've had two home games in the last 2 months, we've already played at NE, ATL, and LAFC, and we're still four points off the Supporters' Shield standings?.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Paul and mgarbowski
I thought that the potential red card might have been for Kaye (??) mugging Herrera in the final minutes. But that happened way before the final set piece if I remember correctly.
That’s what I thought, and waving it off as nothing deprived us of an advantage (however short it’d have been) and keeps their player active for the next match.