Matarrita happy at NYCFC but doesn't hide intentions to go to Europe

Player portfolio value.

Invest $10 million in 10 players. Nine leave on a free. One leaves for $12 million and $300k allocation money. Net profit on the players is $2.3 million. Repeat.
Sure but now we are talking about team value and not matas. We cant have this discussion the same way you would a european league when all player salaries and allocation dollars except DPs salary over the max budget charge are paid by the league and not NYCFC.

Reactions: FootyLovin
All the shitty signings we have made have zero impact on matas value.
True. But they do affect our cap space.
Sure but now we are talking about team value and not matas. We cant have this discussion the same way you would a european league when all player salaries and allocation dollars except DPs salary over the max budget charge are paid by the league and not NYCFC.
Agree with this and this is why I think the speculative signings matter as a whole.

In our case, S sbrylski 's example actually looks like this:

Invest $1M in 5 players. 3 leave on a free. 1 stays because they're good enough. 1 leaves for a big signing and NYC keeps $500k GAM. Yes, we now have an additional $500k GAM. That's great. But it didn't cost us just the one player's $200k salary to get that return. It cost us 5 players and $1M in cap space to get it.

By MLS standards, it's still a good deal. $500k GAM on 1 $200k player who gave you 1 good year sounds a lot better than $500k GAM on $1M on 5 players who gave you 1 good and 1 okay year.

Yes nycfc should stop signing shitty players especially if they cost even more allocation dollars to get an international spot. Our lets sign a bunch of international players and sees who sticks strategy makes no sense in MLS.

You guys kill me.

There are a few ways to accumulate GAM. The best one is for getting into the Champions League.

I would rather get GAM by playing in CCL then by selling on players. You pretty much get the same amount of GAM for making and advancing in CCL than you do for selling a player on. LA Galaxy are able to spend more money than everyone else because they are in CCL every year.

I prefer that model better. If you guys want to collect GAM like Pogs, then go support NYRB.

Yes nycfc should stop signing shitty players especially if they cost even more allocation dollars to get an international spot. Our lets sign a bunch of international players and sees who sticks strategy makes no sense in MLS.

Nobody thinks we should sign shitty players.

There are a few ways to accumulate GAM. The best one is for getting into the Champions League.

Nobody thinks we shouldn't try to get into the Champions League every year.

I've lost the frame of this debate. What are we even talking about anymore? Is anyone honestly saying that Matarrita was a bad signing or something? We could get zero allocation money for selling him on and the signing was still worth it. Some is just better than none.

Nobody thinks we should sign shitty players.

Nobody thinks we shouldn't try to get into the Champions League every year.

I've lost the frame of this debate. What are we even talking about anymore? Is anyone honestly saying that Matarrita was a bad signing or something? We could get zero allocation money for selling him on and the signing was still worth it. Some is just better than none.

Some is better than none. But the sell on rules in MLS favor small teams. You should be rewarded for making MLS a profit. I understand in sharing in the revenue - but how that revenue is allowed to be spent is just stupid #BecauseMLS

Reactions: Viewfrom226
This thread has gone pretty quiet. If Matarrita still has ambitions to go to Europe after yesterday, hopefully they don't involve anything beyond visiting Disneyland Paris.

he can still go....i am starting to think he should be moved up to left mid and put martinez in left back...hes getting burned too many times for not tracking back.

plus....he's still 21....a scandinavian/ dutch team can still scoop him up if he does well in copa america. he's fine.

he can still go....i am starting to think he should be moved up to left mid and put martinez in left back...hes getting burned too many times for not tracking back.

plus....he's still 21....a scandinavian/ dutch team can still scoop him up if he does well in copa america. he's fine.

I would like to see RJ Allen at LB, Iraola at RB, Bravo behind Pirlo and Harrison, with Matarrita wide left, and McNamara wide right.

Reactions: adam
I would like to see RJ Allen at LB, Iraola at RB, Bravo behind Pirlo and Harrison, with Matarrita wide left, and McNamara wide right.

i like iraloa...but i dont know so far this year he has been meh....still better than last year but still meh...thats why i said martinez...and leave RJ in RB.

Reactions: Ulrich

I agree that space behind Mata is a big issue and first noticed it in the DC match. DC started to exploit it and then Nyarko went out. Portland exploited it but Melano was poor.

I think, though, that it is more a tactical choice than a reflection on him. Back when we were playing 3 at the back, I was struck by how disciplined he was in terms of holding his position. I think it is a question of finding the right balance between the offense he generates as an overlapping fullback and the defensive risk.

I will, however, fully lay blame at his feet for getting beaten on the corners this week, though I haven't gone back and watched them again to see if there were any mitigating factors.

I agree that space behind Mata is a big issue and first noticed it in the DC match. DC started to exploit it and then Nyarko went out. Portland exploited it but Melano was poor.

I think, though, that it is more a tactical choice than a reflection on him. Back when we were playing 3 at the back, I was struck by how disciplined he was in terms of holding his position. I think it is a question of finding the right balance between the offense he generates as an overlapping fullback and the defensive risk.

I will, however, fully lay blame at his feet for getting beaten on the corners this week, though I haven't gone back and watched them again to see if there were any mitigating factors.

he didnt jump in the first goal....if he jumped dax doesnt get that header....may have still been a goal but not with a header.

as for the three in the back....its as if PV wants the team to transition from 4 to 3 in the back..depending what side they are attacking from and who covers the area. but the team doenst know how to do that at all.

it seems like its either all game three in the back or four in the back

he didnt jump in the first goal....if he jumped dax doesnt get that header....may have still been a goal but not with a header.

as for the three in the back....its as if PV wants the team to transition from 4 to 3 in the back..depending what side they are attacking from and who covers the area. but the team doenst know how to do that at all.

it seems like its either all game three in the back or four in the back
Yeah, I'm not really advocating for three at the back. More just saying that I thought Matarrita showed tactical discipline when asked to play a role that didn't involve pushing forward, so I think they could dial him marauding efforts back if they choose to.

Even with the vulnerability behind him and the poor effort this week, he's probably last on the list of guys I worry about on this team!

Yeah, I'm not really advocating for three at the back. More just saying that I thought Matarrita showed tactical discipline when asked to play a role that didn't involve pushing forward, so I think they could dial him marauding efforts back if they choose to.

Even with the vulnerability behind him and the poor effort this week, he's probably last on the list of guys I worry about on this team!

he can...but i feel he is effective going forward...those crosses are still dangerous...that is why i thought pushing him up and have martinez in LB can be an option.

or make Bravo drop to CB and hernandez to LB when matarrita goes forward and when attack is over to transition back to their original positions

Reactions: Viewfrom226
When Mata stays back, he is quite effective at defending.
I actually think this is why he would be a good left mid/winger,we can utilize his offensive capabilities and don't have to worry about him having to be the first to track back (which has been his biggest problem), however with his defensive instincts being so good in these positions he fits right into Vieira's vision for his wingers who can track back and help defensively.

Reactions: Ulrich and Kjbert