Mcfc Appreciates Ecs.

While there are Man City fans (not all, but it does seem to be assumed by many) who think that all NYCFC fans should automatically pledge support the "mother ship" as they sometimes put it and think NYCFC should exist and operate only as a feeder for the good of Man City, you'll find that a great deal of NYCFC fans support other BPL clubs.

I'm sure in the end the arrangement will result in a net gain of fans for both teams (Man City fans becoming NYCFC supporters and people in NYC getting into Man City)... but personally the whole arrangement has just made me hate Man City more than ever. Between all the nonsense from Manchester and Pellegrini and at least a handful of Man City fans on these boards I'd rate Man City as my most hated BPL club (note, Millwall is not in the running, as their still in a lower tier, lol). Heck, it's so bad that I would actually rather see Chelsea win the league than Man City... Chelsea. My fingers are burning just typing that, lol.

I actually laughed so hard I started tearing up when I saw the Burnley score this past weekend... and prior to all the NYCFC stuff, I would have been pulling for Man City to catch up to Chelsea. Not anymore.

That being said, I encountered plenty of Man City fans at Yankee Stadium Sunday and they were all pleasant as could be, I don't hate all Man City fans, but boy do I hate the club at this point, lol.

+1,000

I started out with no BPL allegiance and watched a few Man City matches through the fall. Once Man City started to show their ass over Lampard and their rude fans came over to the forum joking about The situation - I inadvertently became a Chelsea sympathizer or an anyone who beats Man City supporter. Currently, I'm Burnley down to the socks.

So that is how CFG's international branding experiment worked out - and I know that I'm one of many. Perhaps they should do a City Voice on that issue.

+1,000

I started out with no BPL allegiance and watched a few Man City matches through the fall. Once Man City started to show their ass over Lampard and their rude fans came over to the forum joking about The situation - I inadvertently became a Chelsea sympathizer or an anyone who beats Man City supporter. Currently, I'm Burnley down to the socks.

So that is how CFG's international branding experiment worked out - and I know that I'm one of many. Perhaps they should do a City Voice on that issue.
It's damn hard not to root for Burnley.

Reactions: MDubya79
I think what needs to be understood is a the majority of NYCFC fans weren't football fans outside of the most recent world cups. Most people who did follow English Premier League, more than likely had their allegiances prior to NYCFC, so good luck attempting to change that unless those people were fair-weather fans to begin with. Those who are currently following the EPL due to our own local team piquing their further interest in the sport, would be more likely become osmosis Man City fans; unless spurned by the club (i.e. Lampard).

To expect undying love of the mother club because they're half owners of our club isn't realistic. There's no loyalty from most fans for ownership. I wasn't a Yankees fan prior to NYCFC, not a fan now, and I'm guessing I'll never be a fan. City needs to build the loyalty organically, and the Lampard saga was two steps in the wrong direction. But here what, loan us Vincent Kompany or David Silva and I'll see how I feel after :D. Luckily for them I became a Man City fan when Tevez got there, so no need to sway me, but good luck with my fellow New Yorkers.

+1,000

I'm the same way. Before MCFC fucked us over with Lampard I was ready to support them and get into the EPL. I was about to go all in, with a jersey and everything, then Lampardgate happened, and they showed their true colors. I'll never root for them. Never. If I ever get into the EPL, it will be with a direct rival of MCFC just so I can root against them.

They screwed up big time. They could have potentially expanded their reach and fan base, but decided to shaft us instead.

I'm interested in your sources for this statement. I guess children of fairly recent Mexican, Central, South American and European immigrants didn't watch soccer until recent world cups.

I think you have that backwards, people who are more recent generation Americans are far more likely to be into the sport because their culturaly their family predominantly does.

I was born and raised in NY and Miami but my parents are from the islands, so my introduction to the sport was from childhood. Almost everyone that ive come in contact with in my life did not follow soccer outside of the world cup until most recent years, and most still don't.

To say that we are even remotely a soccer country would be beyond ridiculous. I think we'd get there but we are definitely not, today.

Reactions: MDubya79
My second sentence was sarcasm. But I'm still interested in how you know "most" of the NYCFC fan base wasn't into the sport outside of recent world cups.

My second sentence was sarcasm. But I'm still interested in how you know "most" of the NYCFC fan base wasn't into the sport outside of recent world cups.

After posting I realized your sarcasm as you were saying the same thing my point was outlining. I'm saying "most" NYCFC fans just using a standard American soccer fan base as a microcosm, but I firmly believe it holds true for us as well, although NY is a melting pot of cultures.

Almost everyone I've come in contact with to talk about the sport recently, from friends, to work, to on the train heading to the game, to at the game itself confirms my claim. There were people at the game asking "what happened?" When Villa was called for offside. I had to explain how offsides worked and there were at least 10 people attempting to learn; and these were season ticket holders in the supporters section.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love that so many people are trying to get into the sport, but it is what it is. We're building a following.

After posting I realized your sarcasm as you were saying the same thing my point was outlining. I'm saying "most" NYCFC fans just using a standard American soccer fan base as a microcosm, but I firmly believe it holds true for us as well, although NY is a melting pot of cultures.

Almost everyone I've come in contact with to talk about the sport recently, from friends, to work, to on the train heading to the game, to at the game itself confirms my claim. There were people at the game asking "what happened?" When Villa was called for offside. I had to explain how offsides worked and there were at least 10 people attempting to learn; and these were season ticket holders in the supporters section.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love that so many people are trying to get into the sport, but it is what it is. We're building a following.
I see. Idk I believe those are a minority though. Interested in seeing what others experienced.

OffSIDE is the word you're looking for, Pele. ;

No hard feelings, but the irony was too much.