MLS - July 6 - Austin (Away)

My goodness the broadcast was just dreadful last night. Awful.

The commentary duo was probably the most aggravating team I've ever heard call a match, and I've followed this league since inception when they had a bunch of low budget regional broadcasts. They had no idea who most of the players were. They spoke almost entirely using scripted language that could be used for any match.

It was terrible. MLS needs to get broadcast teams that are prepared.

Also, why is it sometimes so hard to show replays?

No replays, and the replays they did show were wide shots where you couldn't see anything.

These cookie-cutter MLS productions on Apple are not good enough. We had better productions when they were done by the regional sports networks. To say nothing of the commentators.

The commentary duo was probably the most aggravating team I've ever heard call a match, and I've followed this league since inception when they had a bunch of low budget regional broadcasts. They had no idea who most of the players were. They spoke almost entirely using scripted language that could be used for any match.

they were CONSTANTLY calling James Sands "Alex Ring"

I think we also can't discount how banged up our backline became last night. Backup CB, then both fullbacks leave injured -- that's a bad combination, and goals allowed were going to happen. This is one of those losses that doesn't really bother me -- but now we go up against Chicago and an Atlanta that just sold Almada. Really should get at least 4 points out of the next two games, and probably six points.
Yup. 3 out of the 4 players in our backline were not our regular starters at one point. This was why they needed goals - it was inevitable that a mistake was going to happen.

I still think the first Zardes goal doesn’t happen if Tayvon is still in the game. Ilenic gave the crosser way too much space to pick out Zardes on the back post. Ugh.

Reactions: moogoo
they were CONSTANTLY calling James Sands "Alex Ring"
US international Alex Ring.

And our right back Keaton Parks.

Maybe the league should include pictures of the players from overhead into the press guides that the commentators look at 3 minutes before kickoff as their entire match prep.

Last edited:
Yup. 3 out of the 4 players in our backline were not our regular starters at one point. This was why they needed goals - it was inevitable that a mistake was going to happen.

I still think the first Zardes goal doesn’t happen if Tayvon is still in the game. Ilenic gave the crosser way too much space to pick out Zardes on the back post. Ugh.
this 100% .

only thing i can chalk it up to is lack of sharpness due to lack of playing time but can't help but think that a bit more effort to get over there faster to close down the space was all that was really needed.

sucky way to lose since i don't think austin really deserved any of those goals, but it is what it is. we bounce back and try to take down chicago who seem to be doing well lately and then atlanta who are struggling. was really hoping for 10 points out of these 4 away games before leagues cup but now i want 9.

US international Alex Ring.

And our right back Keaton Parks.

Maybe the league should include pictures of the players from overhead into the press guides that the commentators look at 3 minutes before kickoff as their entire match prep.
US International Alex Ring. got me. Like every time the dude spoke he said it.

Yup. 3 out of the 4 players in our backline were not our regular starters at one point.
Reminded me of our first game against Nashville in 2021 when we started Latinovich, Morales and Malte in the back because Callens, Chanot and Thor all were unavailable. We conceded three in that game. It also was the first game of the 10 game winless streak so let's hope there are no more parallels.

Reminded me of our first game against Nashville in 2021 when we started Latinovich, Morales and Malte in the back because Callens, Chanot and Thor all were unavailable. We conceded three in that game. It also was the first game of the 10 game winless streak so let's hope there are no more parallels.

luckily, we have 3 more until leagues cup and then essentially 2 throwaway games and time off to heal and recover. so 10 game winless is unlikely. 4 at most that matter. then we get back on the horse and do the final push into the playoffs and make a run at the cup. damn, why am i already dreaming about winning the cup again?

Reactions: mgarbowski
As of right now Risa is out and Tayvon / O’Toole both came out of the last game early. Oh boy. Buckle up.

As of right now Risa is out and Tayvon / O’Toole both came out of the last game early. Oh boy. Buckle up.

We really put all our salary budget into the front line, which has paid off, including more than one game where we bring in new attackers late and score. But we can barely handle 1 scratch from our back line at a time.

announcers said nick was confident both maxi and risa would be available vs chicago.

do we know if otoole was injured or just taken off due to exhaustion? he's been needing a break and mcfarlane was supposed to be his backup but he got injured.

hopefully gray's injury isn't anything major either and he'll be back after a game or two at worst.

I was laughing at one point as Anibaba seemed to be working hard to not have to say O’Toole’s name because he clearly couldn’t remember it.

The face that on multiple occasions they just straight up called James Sands Alex Ring, like wtf did you take shots during the weather delay?

The announcing was weird because while the lead did mess up the names with frequency, both announcers actually knew a lot about the players and told good backstories about them. They also knew some about the history and strategy of the clubs. They just couldn't keep the names straight at all.