MLS - May 25 - New England (Away)

(I was just typing this out when Gator chimed in.)

Barring an injury to Santi, he may not start at all. But we'll see.

However it goes, it would be great to have him back in the team and ready to contribute on the pitch. Maxi is worth his weight in gold on such a young squad.

Well yes - barring injury/suspension, Santi is going to be the starter for the vast majority of games. Maxi is a bench player now, but if he returns soon he can eventually start the occasional game when rotation is necessary or required. Heber never was able to get a start in 2021 because we were scratching and clawing for a playoff spot and we had Taty at the 9. I do think maybe 2 months after he returns, Maxi will be fit enough to start. But Santi will still get 99% of the starts.

For all the reasons that have been stated about rehab/recovery, I don't see why we are talking about Maxi as a replacement starter for Santi, now or ever (or at least not in 2024). Santi is your starting 10. Wolf is your alternate. Maxi will hopefully one day soon be a super sub.
Also, I see Maxi's greatest advantage over Santi and Wolf in terms of experience in possession, setting the tempo, etc. So he would be great for the last 20 minutes to maintain a lead. Better at keeping the ball in tight spaces, setting the tempo, not making mistakes or risking too much, etc.

Also, I see Maxi's greatest advantage over Santi and Wolf in terms of experience in possession, setting the tempo, etc. So he would be great for the last 20 minutes to maintain a lead. Better at keeping the ball in tight spaces, setting the tempo, not making mistakes or risking too much, etc.
I'm sure that's where Nick plans to use him. And FootyLovin FootyLovin is right, Wolf is the alternate 10 should Santi go down or need a rest.

In fact, if we rotate against the Quakes, that might be exactly what we see. (Well, you'll see. I'll be at a Joe Jackson concert that night and following along on the MLS app.) It's not hard to imagine Wolf starting at the 10 and then coming out himself for Maxi if we have a decent lead at 60' or so. Some other guys (O'Toole, especially) might get a break, too.

Then they get a couple weeks to gear up for one hell of a schedule over the next bracket of games. We host Columbus June 14, then travel to LA for the Galaxy and then Nashville in short order, then finish the month at home against a division opponent in Orlando. Then comes a brutal July.

Fortunately, we don't have to fly to the West Coast that month, so that's a positive.

I like where we are right now. But man, are June and July the ballgame, as they say. It's going to get intense.