MLS Stadium Update

Can't link this article, it's behind a paywall, but interesting note on LAFC's food vendors. Hope we have similar.

"The process of putting down grass on the field began this week at the new 22,000-seat Banc of California Stadium in Exposition Park, the home of the Los Angeles Football Club, part of a flowering of development activity in L.A.'s Exposition Park.

Koreatown-based Beer Belly is the first restaurant under contract at the stadium under construction at 3939 South Figueroa St., according to Seth Burton, vice president of communications for the Los Angeles Football Club. Others will soon follow, with offshoots of local eateries planned for inside the stadium.

"It’s a key component for us to have local L.A. vendors," Burton said.

A food hall similar to Grand Central Market which will include local and national food outpost is also in the planning stages, Burton said.

A restaurant on the exterior of the stadium will be open five days a week for visitors to Exposition Park regardless of whether there is a game scheduled, according to Burton. There will also be a LAFC team store. The stadium designed by Gensler is scheduled to be completed weeks before the Los Angeles Football Club’s first game on April 29, according to Octavia Goredema, Southwest regional public relations director."

I was listening to Sirius XM FC where it appears some rumors of a Revs stadium is making the rounds. Interesting, it was Jorge Mass (Miami's part owner) starting the rumor. While discussing the stadium situation in Miami, he mentioned that there were two other clubs that still do not have a soccer-specific stadium yet, us and the Revs. He went on to say that the Revs will be building their stadium next to Boston Gardens. No one knows if Mas has insider knowledge, but considering he is an owner, he might.

The Revs were contacted to corroborate this claim, and they said, "no comment."

https://nesn.com/2018/07/are-revolution-planning-to-build-soccer-stadium-in-downtown-boston/

Reactions: SoupInNYC and adam
I was listening to Sirius XM FC where it appears some rumors of a Revs stadium is making the rounds. Interesting, it was Jorge Mass (Miami's part owner) starting the rumor. While discussing the stadium situation in Miami, he mentioned that there were two other clubs that still do not have a soccer-specific stadium yet, us and the Revs. He went on to say that the Revs will be building their stadium next to Boston Gardens. No one knows if Mas has insider knowledge, but considering he is an owner, he might.

https://nesn.com/2018/07/are-revolution-planning-to-build-soccer-stadium-in-downtown-boston/

.....AND the calls start today for Revs season ticket renewals :tearsofjoy:.

But in all seriousness, if it is true, that's huge. We can get a real Boston-NY rivalry going.

Oh, I see. There. Easy.
boston-garden.PNG

In other news, NYCFC will build its stadium next to Lincoln Center.

Sorry... I misquoted him, he actually, "near or next to..."
You're just passing on what he said, which is useful. I'm not meaning to jump on you at all.
But even as amended, where in hell does he mean? Downtown Boston is packed. It's also pretty small. Go almost any distance and you're in a completely different neighborhood, to the point that using TD Garden as a reference would be silly unless you mean almost right next door. Within one mile you have the entire North End, City Hall, Boston Common, and Cambridge.
I just think Mas is making shit up.

Last edited:
Good article about Audi Field, with background on relevant history of DC United, their supporters, ownership, culture, etc.
https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2018/7/19/17581836/dc-united-stadium-mls-audi-field-wayne-rooney

Among other things, the story is a perfect example of the counter-intuitive truth that -- in some situations -- it can be easier and more feasible for a money-losing business to treats its customers well and give away product than one that is profitable.

I foresee a similar situation with NYCFC unfortunately.

Chicago Bears just bought land outside Chicago where they can build a new stadium.

Here's a paywalled Athletic article with more details:

There is a lot of speculation that this is a leverage ploy by the Bears, but Soldier Field is old, small, and apparently cannot be expanded. No matter what, the Fire are along for the ride. They will either end up sole tenants at Soldier Field; building a SSS at the Soldier Field location (though landmark rules might complicate this), or in yet a new home, possibly again outside Chicago.

Chicago Bears just bought land outside Chicago where they can build a new stadium.

Here's a paywalled Athletic article with more details:

There is a lot of speculation that this is a leverage ploy by the Bears, but Soldier Field is old, small, and apparently cannot be expanded. No matter what, the Fire are along for the ride. They will either end up sole tenants at Soldier Field; building a SSS at the Soldier Field location (though landmark rules might complicate this), or in yet a new home, possibly again outside Chicago.

Always nice to be reminded that we aren't the only club with stadium issues.

I wonder if the St Louis stadium will see any benefit from the City/State's rumored $790m settlement with the Rams/NFL.
I'm assuming some of that money will be invested in that area, possibly enhancing the game day experience.