#MLSisBack - July 9 - Philadelphia (Postgame)

If I were running a ref clinic, I could not find a better visual demonstration of obstruction/impeding than what Aaronson did to Taty. He literally bowled him over, which opened up space for Bedoya.

Am I off the mark on this? It seemed so blatant and neither broadcaster even mentioned it.
The best argument for ignoring it is that it arguably made no difference because Taty was turned away from the shooter and was not about to close on him or do anything useful if he was not run over. But that's not really supposed to matter. And as you note, it did at least open space.

If I were running a ref clinic, I could not find a better visual demonstration of obstruction/impeding than what Aaronson did to Taty. He literally bowled him over, which opened up space for Bedoya.

Am I off the mark on this? It seemed so blatant and neither broadcaster even mentioned it.
Blatant. No video review is appalling.

The best argument for ignoring it is that it arguably made no difference because Taty was turned away from the shooter and was not about to close on him or do anything useful if he was not run over. But that's not really supposed to matter. And as you note, it did at least open space.

Agree with most of this. Taty getting bowled over didn't even open up space - if anything it gave him a better chance of inadvertantly blocking the shot (you see Taty roll towards the ball as Aaronson takes the shot). It had no bearing on the play whatsoever, no need for a VAR check at all.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Agree with most of this. Taty getting bowled over didn't even open up space - if anything it gave him a better chance of inadvertantly blocking the shot (you see Taty roll towards the ball as Aaronson takes the shot). It had no bearing on the play whatsoever, no need for a VAR check at all.
Maybe the angle is throwing me off, but it looks like if Taty had not been bowled over he would have been occupying the space where Bedoya shot, even if he would have had his back to the ball. Aaronson occupied the space were Taty would have been and had to turn away to avoid blocking the shot.

Yeah, I feel like the argument for not playing Sands was that Chanot and Callens are the best partnership for a CB pairing, and that Sands should only really play in the midfield or as part of a back three. But he did great in a back four today. Can't say we missed Chanot at all.

With three games in 10 days, we're going to see squad rotation. So I think Chanot draws back in against Orlando, and I'm sure we'll be rotating a few other pieces. Wouldn't surprise me if Acevedo starts in the midfield for Parks or Ring on Tuesday, for example.

The age curve gets everyone eventually.
I really hope Sims and staff are prioritizing finding Maxi's replacement NOW. He's 33 yrs old and the number 10. Nobody loves Maxi more than me but I'd rather lose a year off the tail end of Maxi's career than suffer an extra year without a replacement when he's done. Which hopefully is not this year, but could be next.

I really hope Sims and staff are prioritizing finding Maxi's replacement NOW. He's 33 yrs old and the number 10. Nobody loves Maxi more than me but I'd rather lose a year off the tail end of Maxi's career than suffer an extra year without a replacement when he's done. Which hopefully is not this year, but could be next.
He is signed through 2021.

Medina also signed through 2021, so we'll have at least 2 open DP slots at the same time unless a move is made first. When we signed Mitrita they did not say how long the contract is for, and Transfermarkt does not pretend to know.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Compared to Dome-ball, I can't believe how much time the ball spends in the air under Deila. Can't say I'm a fan.
There was an incredible amount of long balls switching the field today. Most I can remember in one match, probably even moreso than last year's game at Montreal.

Agreed. It seemed incredibly similar to the foul called on Tinnerholm later in the match where he received a yellow.

I know it's early and there is rust but NYCFC showed the same inability to do anything creative in the final third. How many times are we going to watch crosses loop past the mouth of the goal and end up finding nothing but grass or turf. This team isn't even very good in the air. Tinnerholm's crosses at the end of the game were terrible and the Union filled the box with a bunch of big center backs so I don't know what the point was.
Medina is still a waste of a roster spot and GMS may challenge Medina for the Medina Award.
There were a few nice balls leading a runner into the box but other than that this team still seems predictable or lost in the final third.
Silver lining to Covid is not having to watch a full season of this type of effort.

I know it's early and there is rust but NYCFC showed the same inability to do anything creative in the final third. How many times are we going to watch crosses loop past the mouth of the goal and end up finding nothing but grass or turf. This team isn't even very good in the air. Tinnerholm's crosses at the end of the game were terrible and the Union filled the box with a bunch of big center backs so I don't know what the point was.
Medina is still a waste of a roster spot and GMS may challenge Medina for the Medina Award.
There were a few nice balls leading a runner into the box but other than that this team still seems predictable or lost in the final third.
Silver lining to Covid is not having to watch a full season of this type of effort.

agree that our creativity in the final 3rd needs work. we have the talent to take a team apart with clever passing and movement in the final 3rd, but for some reason it doesn't happen... we saw it last year with Dome when things started clicking, so what's changed? did they just forget how to play or is Ronnie so insistent on his style that they just do as they're told? Dome preached flexibility, which made our play dynamic and flexible. Once everyone understood the basic patterns for each formation, we were able to build on it with creativity. but the key was we weren't afraid to pass around the draw the opponent out.

under ronnie, i see a lot of direct balls, which is fine now and then, but after philly scored, they were happy to bunker with big center backs vs our two forwards. we don't have a shooting threat from the midfield so and our crosses were not very threatening as you mentioned. i surely hope it is rust and i hope ronnie isn't trying to fix what wasn't broken. i understand every coach wants to put their mark on the team, but at what cost? we dominated the game both on the eye test and the stats. GMS should have finished his three chances. Heber was unlucky and Blake made a strong save. Johnson could have had a stronger hand, but that's just how it is sometimes.

I actually thought Medina was decent. In any event, he didn't stand out as the worst player on the pitch. I also agree with whoever said Ronnie should have subbed more. We have a stacked bench and when we went down a goal, it would have been nice to add some fresh legs to run at Philly's back line. Maxi was totally controlled by that one guy - can't think of his name. Can't remember a single time where maxi held the ball for more than 5 seconds. He was always most effective when he was on the ball constantly, holding it up and being a play maker. Was this difference in play due to his injuries and/or conditioning? or was he forced into that style of play by an up and coming philly d-mid?

I think overall - we played a decent game considering the circumstances. It was a hell of a lot more entertaining than the florida fiasco last night. I think we're just so spoiled by how well we played last year toward the end. We simply cannot accept anything less.

we have no one that can win one on ones( Isi could do it but happens here and there) or someone to force themselves into the box with the ball to drag out defenders.....thats why we rely on crosses and hope for the best. this has been an issue i feel for a couple of years now.

Last edited:
Reactions: mgarbowski
Blake came up big (as he has against us I. The past). SJ (and Mata, always Mata) did not. Otherwise both sides showing rust and we had the better of most stats. Ronny’s subbing mystifies me, but it’s not why we couldn’t finish. Nobody else has mentioned it but I noticed right away that Philly defenders were not going to allow Isi to cut in, and he was totally neutralized.
Not gonna panic. We mostly looked the better side today. I saw Medina run through a guy for the first time ever so that’s a plus. And Maxi stopping dead, looking up at Martínez to basically goad him into knocking him over, was priceless.
Just glad we are back.