Mullins to DCU

Eh, even tho it's a capped league, the rules grow with us. But the time our roster construction strategy starts to blow up on us (E.g. expiring international spots and nothing left to trade for them), the rulebook will probably look significantly different. I think being on the leading edge may be sustainable because the edge will be moving with us.

3a5.jpg

Also to send message to academy players that if they make it, they will be taken care of.

And not even just academy members, but the future athletes in this country across the board. Look at the average salaries for NBA/MLB/etc, and it's no wonder we are so shitty on the world stage. Imagine some of the young athletes in those other sports raised to play this game and how much different our national team would be? 60k is an absolute joke.

Reactions: NYdoesitEZ
We were probably going to lose Mullins in the expansion draft anyway -- at least we are getting something from him now. I bet the Revs wish they pulled a deal like this in 2014.

We were probably going to lose Mullins in the expansion draft anyway -- at least we are getting something from him now. I bet the Revs wish they pulled a deal like this in 2014.

This deserves its own thread. Who do we leave unprotected? How many guys can we protect again?

Reactions: adam
This is maybe an argument that would win me over.

But weren't they doing away with the expansion draft starting this year?

Reactions: Kjbert
Let's also not pretend that we are giving up the farm in order to get an international roster slot. By my count there are only three other teams (Impact, Whitecaps, Union) that have zero free spots. These spots are worthless to a team not using them, so we are probably getting them cheap.
This last point is very good, and evidenced by the fact that we received the international spot as well as allocation money.

Reactions: Kjbert
By 2022, our academy will be churning out two homegrowns a year, and the fake salary cap will be x2 what it is today. Probably more TAM or even a 4th DP. As long as DPs round two are successful, we'll be fine to bridge the gap to full service academy.

Btw, the cap is largely for domestic players. Domestic players aren't great. I don't support these massive cap increase proposals because they won't improve the quality of play as *targeted* as TAM does. 100% of TAM goes to bringing in better players almost exclusively from abroad. If you raise the salary cap, half of that increase will go towards players like Mikey Lopez and justifying Hernandezs $200k as acceptable. Much smaller impact on the leagues quality, in other words.

This guy gets it.

The current structure with a strict salary cap that can be exceeded via DPs and TAM is specifically designed to keep compensation down for American players but allowing higher pay for foreign players and elite Americans. Domestics are required to compose a majority of the roster, so it's important to keep that portion of the payroll in check. American players can't play overseas very easily due to work permit issues and general anti-American bias. This means the league itself is the dominant buyer of their services and coordinated action can make a big difference.

It's essentially collusion, but collectively bargained by the MLSPU

I think it is interesting that this has been news for about 3 hours...and not a word or tweet about it from the Club.
Per Christian Araos at EOS, NYCFC is still mulling over the offer.

No insider information here, but I'd be very surprised if it fell through at this point. Still, I don't think the ink's dry on this quite yet.

Is that statement supported by the evidence? That sounds like baseball. LA Galaxy won 3 of the last 5.

While the Galaxy are a special case (as the league has bent over backwards to service them for years, usually well outside the rules), they still pull strong talent from their academy, and supplement their roster through smart use of domestic players and MLS Lifers.

This year's Galaxy team has a frankly unprecedented amount of talent, and I think it remains to be seen whether it's sustainable in the current climate (particularly with neighbors coming into town). As many others have pointed out, they could always just change the rules, but I think it's not safe at this stage to operate with that as a given.

Is that statement supported by the evidence? That sounds like baseball. LA Galaxy won 3 of the last 5.
To be fair, I think the Galaxy did a good job at toeing the line. They've always have had a strong academy that has produced some good players. Add in solid DP acquisitions and they have had good success.

I also think "strong academy" and "savvy use of undervalued contracts" pretty much go hand in hand. Most of the undervalued contracts come via academy players and draft picks.

It's essentially collusion, but collectively bargained by the MLSPU
Almost every labor union contract would violate antitrust laws, which is why there is an antitrust exemption written into federal labor union laws. This leads to the occasional event in which a union decertifies itself and the workers immediately sue the employer for antitrust violations. You need a strong position to pull it off and it's usually only done by sports unions. It also seems kind of underhanded to me, but it's legal.

Jeff Weisinger‏@MrWeisGuy 14m14 minutes ago

@Tev_Co @NYSports_Hub hearing mixed things that the slot isn't for Chanot, but someone else. Source works in MLS office

[EDITED to disclaim any reliability of the source, but saw it and figured I would at least post it]
If this is the case, we may have at least two more moves. New Forward, losing a player
To be fair, I think the Galaxy did a good job at toeing the line. They've always have had a strong academy that has produced some good players. Add in solid DP acquisitions and they have had good success.

I also think "strong academy" and "savvy use of undervalued contracts" pretty much go hand in hand. Most of the undervalued contracts come via academy players and draft picks.
i think I read yesterday that LA has 20 graduates on their 1st team & USL team - that's ridiculously successful!

doctorhoosier doctorhoosier comes off as a small market Red Bulls fan in this thread. sorry man
Calling me out personally is unnecessary, but whatever you say, dude. I totally disagree with you on this, but I've got no fault with you at all. In fact, I usually agree with you on things I've seen you post.

But unless you're seriously counting on MLS cheating for us like they do for the Galaxy, being in a "big market" matters less in MLS than it does in any other league in the US. It helps us to attract three DP players, sure. But beyond that, it doesn't mean as much. Chicago totally sucks, and they're in a huge market.

We don't have a right to be top flight in MLS simply because we're located in a big city. It might be good for us to learn some lessons from teams that have made it work. 13 international players is quite a few to manage w/ MLS roster restrictions.

Reactions: Gene