Music and what not ...

This has been making the internet rounds today. It is a highly entertaining and very sweet 20 minute documentary about Rick, the song and how it was written, developed, became a hit and eventually a world wide meme. Great to see how happy he is with his life at the end.

Then, the mash up you did not know you needed. NSFW for profanity.
Apparently, the Foo Fighters were playing in a festival and learned that that Rick Astley was there. They quickly teach themselves Never Gonna Give You Up, and realize it has a similar structure as Smells Like Teen Spirit. They invite Rick on stage .
Never Gonna Give You Up is already perfect but somehow Dave Grohl makes everything better.

The Foo Fighters video is awesome. Grohl tells the story in his memoir. He was playing in a music festival and was asked to include a cover song. He noticed that Risk Astley was on the program as well, and so they worked out Never Gonna Give You Up. He said that he was attracted to it because the chord progressions were similar to Smells Like Teen Spirit, which you can hear in the video. When it was their turn to go on, he noticed Astley back stage and invited him to come out.

The Foo Fighters video is awesome. Grohl tells the story in his memoir. He was playing in a music festival and was asked to include a cover song. He noticed that Risk Astley was on the program as well, and so they worked out Never Gonna Give You Up. He said that he was attracted to it because the chord progressions were similar to Smells Like Teen Spirit, which you can hear in the video. When it was their turn to go on, he noticed Astley back stage and invited him to come out.
I'm not a big Foo Fighters fan. I can listen, but also take it or leave it.
But I can watch Dave Grohl sharing his stage with random people videos for hours. It's what he was born to do.

Saw the Celebrating David Bowie concert at Sony Music Hall tonight. Small venue gets smaller when Angelo Moore (Fishbone) surfs the tabletops.
779C0B68-47C4-44DD-8FB9-3358F3C035A4.jpeg

Wondering if Lion made it to MSG this past weekend to see his fellow Columbia grads. I went Saturday with Dr. Mrs. G, and it was a great show.

Reactions: CCMore
Wondering if Lion made it to MSG this past weekend to see his fellow Columbia grads. I went Saturday with Dr. Mrs. G, and it was a great show.
View attachment 13553

Lion's not a Columbia grad. I am, but have no idea who these guys are.

I did see Sting Wednesday night at the Brooklyn Paramount.

He's back to performing in a power trio and sounds great. The Paramount is a lovely venue. And he looks amazing for 73.

Reactions: CCMore
The band above is Vampire Weekend. Trio (formerly a quartet) formed at Columbia in 2006 or so. Out promoting their 5th album. Started out with a strong South African vibe - much like Paul Simon's Graceland. They joked that their first public performance was at Columbia's battle of the bands in 2006, where they placed third.

Great that you got to see Sting. I saw his son in a small venue in NY leading his band at the time - Fiction Plane. There were rumors that the Police would show up (the band, not the cops), but they didn't. Son's band was very good. Sounded just like his dad's.

I had assumed - wrongly, I guess - that Lion's nickname was for the Columbia mascot.

View attachment 13553
I went both Saturday night and Sunday afternoon. I must have been one section to your right. It was great.

Just disappointed I didn't see their pop up show at Time Again bar on 10/3 where they played my favorite song of theirs, Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
Wife and I saw Vampire Weekend Saturday night too! Favorite part might have been the encore when they took requests for anything OTHER THAN Vampire Weekend songs.

I went both Saturday night and Sunday afternoon. I must have been one section to your right. It was great.

Just disappointed I didn't see their pop up show at Time Again bar on 10/3 where they played my favorite song of theirs, Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa.
My wife and I were joking about great Vampire Weekend song titles. That's probably the best. Other favorites: Ice Cream Piano, Prep-School Gangsters, Unbearably White, and, of course, Oxford Comma.
Wife and I saw Vampire Weekend Saturday night too! Favorite part might have been the encore when they took requests for anything OTHER THAN Vampire Weekend songs.
That was so much fun. I was bummed I couldn't throw a request in there. The band's ability to launch into a variety of songs - and Ezra being able to remember all the lyrics - just really good.

I was at a Goose show recently and they joined to play a 30 min jam version of CCKK which was very cool.

Reactions: Kenny and CCMore