Nick Cushing Named Interim Head Coach (July '22) / Head Coach (November '22)

What Are Your Thoughts on Cushing as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Really Pleased

• Pleased

• Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Displeased

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 12 52.2%

• Total voters
Why are you firing Cushing?

They loaned out Taty. Their big splash DP can’t stay on the field. Parks can’t stay healthy. Morales is now out. Callens is out.

This on the front office. They didn’t reinforce.

They loaned out Taty. Their big splash DP can’t stay on the field. Parks can’t stay healthy. Morales is now out. Callens is out.

Agree with this. Hard to compare, but I think we are in an equivalent slump with Ronny. The eye test suggests there are some tactical tweaks which aren't working, but that's the least of the drivers here.

Reactions: Kjbert
Agree with this. Hard to compare, but I think we are in an equivalent slump with Ronny. The eye test suggests there are some tactical tweaks which aren't working, but that's the least of the drivers here.

Last night, our CB pairing was our 3rd and 5th choice CB, our RB (even though I thought he played well defensively) is our 4th choice CB, our double pivot are our 3rd and 4th choice, our Striker can only play 60 minutes and his legs look shot, we can’t create anything from possession unless our 35 year old DP is on the pitch, and our club record signing is on an island.

I am bullish on Gabby. I’m cooling on Santi. Andrade doesn’t have a soccer skill. And we don’t have attacking depth.

That’s not on Nick.

I will say our set piece problems are on Nick.

Reactions: gbservis and JayH

I'd actually argue Nick has been doing well considering what pieces we're missing.

That being said, 6 losses from the last 5 is not exactly great... But I'm always in the "give the coach time" boat, especially now.

I know you've said this before, Kjbert, but I really do think now that we've had Magno & co for over a year, Magno specifically shows signs of brilliance, but overall he really disappoints me.

I'd actually argue Nick has been doing well considering what pieces we're missing.

That being said, 6 losses from the last 5 is not exactly great... But I'm always in the "give the coach time" boat, especially now.

I know you've said this before, Kjbert, but I really do think now that we've had Magno & co for over a year, Magno specifically shows signs of brilliance, but overall he really disappoints me.

Magno has a higher ceiling than Santi or Thiago.

Reactions: Kjbert and moogoo
Cushing isn’t getting fired this year. It probably means the team limps into the playoffs and makes a quick exit, but with the injuries and not replacing Taty, I’m really quite not surprised.

My thoughts on Magno are that he’s still REALLY young and that he’s been asked to entirely shoulder the burden of a guy who was the second most talented player in the history of the club when he was loaned out.

We’re not getting him the ball in a position to be dangerous. And at times, when he does get the ball, we’re asking him to create the opportunity and also finish the opportunity. Where is Santi? Where is our midfield? Why can’t Gabby create for others?

Magno is the guy that plays for Southampton, gets a big money head scratching move to Liverpool and then lights the world on fire once he has better players around him. Sadio Mane, Diogo Jota come to mind.

My thoughts on Magno are that he’s still REALLY young and that he’s been asked to entirely shoulder the burden of a guy who was the second most talented player in the history of the club when he was loaned out.

We’re not getting him the ball in a position to be dangerous. And at times, when he does get the ball, we’re asking him to create the opportunity and also finish the opportunity. Where is Santi? Where is our midfield? Why can’t Gabby create for others?

Magno is the guy that plays for Southampton, gets a big money head scratching move to Liverpool and then lights the world on fire once he has better players around him. Sadio Mane, Diogo Jota come to mind.
Both Jota and Mane were phenomenal at their smaller clubs.

Agreed. You're only as good as the players around you.

I'm not saying this is 100 percent the case with Magno but their are a lot of flare players from South America who some lot flatter to deceive. Lots of neat tricks and dribbling but lacking in the finish.

I'm not saying this is 100 percent the case with Magno but their are a lot of flare players from South America who some lot flatter to deceive. Lots of neat tricks and dribbling but lacking in the finish.

magno is 20. he's getting better. already improved since last year. but he's only 1 player. multiple times he was stuck by himself and getting pressed with 2-3 DC defenders. where was the support? you can see him waving his arms trying to get people to move into support positions or make a run, but it just wasn't happening.

his dribbling is probably top 3 in the team. his finishing is not clinical or anything, but that's something that can improve. in 2 years, i can totally see him becoming a monster, much like Taty did. The only thing holding him back will be his work ethic and desire. if he's got it, he'll get better.

magno is 20. he's getting better. already improved since last year. but he's only 1 player. multiple times he was stuck by himself and getting pressed with 2-3 DC defenders. where was the support? you can see him waving his arms trying to get people to move into support positions or make a run, but it just wasn't happening.

his dribbling is probably top 3 in the team. his finishing is not clinical or anything, but that's something that can improve. in 2 years, i can totally see him becoming a monster, much like Taty did. The only thing holding him back will be his work ethic and desire. if he's got it, he'll get better.

In all competitions this season, Talles has 9 goals and 8 assists.

1 goal, 0 assists in his last 10 games, but he's still having a pretty outstanding season.

That's what I'm saying. He's a 20-year-old with 17 goal contributions. If he stays in this league a couple years, he might turn into an MVP type of player.
His off ball movement still isn't the best and that's why I think he was miles better when Taty was here, because he was able to find him in those spaces as well as have space open up for him.

I'm sure he'll improve in that regard too.

I’m actually a little bit glad we’re terrible at the moment. Perfect timing! We have a whole month for folks to get healthy, in shape, in form, etc. if we can limp our way into the playoffs and then are able to pull it together that’ll be fine. It’s MLS: As long as you’re top 7 it’s a whole new season in mid-October.

Reactions: JCMore