Nyc Elements In Other Nyc Sports Home Uniforms

Good. I really do hope I am wrong about the kit and none of the things it suggests to me are true. Part of what was upsetting about the kit reveal was that it was such a bumbled event and the kit looks phoned in, which seems like the polar opposite of a team that, up until this point, has done so many things right. Hopefully this was just a minor hiccup on the way to greatness.

Reactions: einwindir and Gene
And one more thought: US football, as well as Canadian football, Australian Rules football, etc, all trace their history, via Rugby, to the pre-1840s, English sport with no official rules that was called "football." And that's why those modern variants worldwide are all called football. Not because some idiot looked at a game with minimal kicking and lots of ball carrying and handling and said "Let's call it football."

AND, Rugby itself eventually developed two variants, Rugby Union and Rugby League, one of which is more like US football, and the other a bit more fluid like soccer.

Football, has nothing to do with using feet... The original games known as football were played by village peasants on foot rather than the noble games such as jousting or polo which were played by nobility on horseback.

Football, has nothing to do with using feet... The original games known as football were played by village peasants on foot rather than the noble games such as jousting or polo which were played by nobility on horseback.

And those games, called mob football, didn't look a whole like what we know as football or soccer today.

Mobfooty.jpg

This film shows a tradition very similar to the early mob football games.

Both standard and custom are sold out.

How do you sell out on a kit that's being sold as a pre-order? Do they have a target number they can produce before the holiday season, after retail shipments? Or is it arbitrary, an oversight, or what? Looking for good PR about selling the sizes out? Obviously, it'll open again before season's end, but why not leave it open for orders? I ask out of ignorance.

How do you sell out on a kit that's being sold as a pre-order? Do they have a target number they can produce before the holiday season, after retail shipments? Or is it arbitrary, an oversight, or what? Looking for good PR about selling the sizes out? Obviously, it'll open again before season's end, but why not leave it open for orders? I ask out of ignorance.

Manufacturers produce in batches. They will have told NYCFC that they have, say, 1,000 to sell in the first batch, with the next batch to come in a few weeks' time or thereabouts. Obviously if a team keeps selling their allocations in double-quick time then they get bumped up the priority list but at the start they get set amounts at a set rate. It's a bit like book publishers - a first-time author is only going to get an initial run of a few hundred copies, and it's not until they start proving that they can push a six-figure sum that the publisher starts really churning out the books.

Manufacturers produce in batches. They will have told NYCFC that they have, say, 1,000 to sell in the first batch, with the next batch to come in a few weeks' time or thereabouts. Obviously if a team keeps selling their allocations in double-quick time then they get bumped up the priority list but at the start they get set amounts at a set rate. It's a bit like book publishers - a first-time author is only going to get an initial run of a few hundred copies, and it's not until they start proving that they can push a six-figure sum that the publisher starts really churning out the books.

Thanks for the info.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall regarding what the batch numbers were. The s/s custom authentic is sold out in all sizes on the website, with a Dec 3 shipment date. I suppose this leaves enough time for a holiday sales push, and this past run was to tap into kit-release sales.

If you take the plunge with Aliexpress jerseys, keep in mind that the sizes run ~2 sizes smaller than the size on the tag. I wear an XL in normal clothing and an XXL for jerseys, but can barely get a XXXL on from one of the fake guys.
it really depends on the seller. some sellers sell in U.K sizes, some in U.S

The islanders logo is not changing when they move to Brooklyn this has been established already

I just learned something interesting -- the earliest usage of "soccer" predates the earliest usage of the standalone "football" by 18 years.

football-and-soccer.jpg
This is good. So many soccer 'purists' get upset when you say soccer and not football. Then the joke on American 'football', aka the NFL. Sort of like the uneducated American when it comes to this sport. But look at that graph and my Irish friend calls is soccer too.

I wanted to exit from this debate, and I'm actually in agreement with most of what you wrote below the list, but your list starts with a significant inaccuracy.

Yankees: NY interlocking logo on the (1) cap and (2) chest. Both are bigger than the NYCFC badge and not overshadowed by the name of an airline. In fact, they are the only textual or graphic elements on the uniform front.

In addition, as I reviewed your list I noticed that almost all of the team names above have a specific NY or local connection:

Yankees: residents of the Northeast and the word origin is probably Dutch although that's not completely certain.
Giants: named after the pre-existing NY baseball Giants. To be fair, Giants had no inherent NY connection when the baseball team took it, but by the time the football team came along it was an established NY reference.
Jets: originally named the Titans, as a reference to the Giants. Switched to the Jets as a nod to their then Queens home next to LaGuardia. Also played off the Mets.
Nets. Building on the Mets, Jets theme. (There was also a short-lived Tennis league whose NY team was the Sets)
Rangers: I got nothing. I'll give you that one. I know the origin but it's not really NY based.
Mets: Metropolitans. Kind of vague. A push at best.
Knicks. Most explicit nod ever to NY history.
Islanders: Obvious geographic reference.

Meanwhile our new beloved soccer team has the nickname: Football Club. Couldn't be more generic. And it's not even proper American English which would be Soccer Club, or more likely Soccer Team. Football Club is British English. Completely proper, but not exactly local to NY or even our continent. I get the nod to the sport's tradition, and the other nod to that team from the city that gave us Joy Division.

I do like the Inaugural Season logo, although as someone just posted on another thread, they could maybe start using NYC references beyond the transit system, but it works great on the jersey. I looked at the shirt in the store:
http://shop.nycfc.com/NYCFC-Catalog/Men's/NYCFC-Inaugural-Season-Tee/p/NF150210010
It's nice but the version on the jersey
NF150210010_primary_lightblue

just a heads up, the original NY Rangers were soldiers trained by native Americans during the revolutionary war, affectively they were this country's 1st recognized use of "special forces". Today the army's army rangers are the spiritual successors to the original NY rangers.

Reactions: Spanky Roman
This is good. So many soccer 'purists' get upset when you say soccer and not football. Then the joke on American 'football', aka the NFL. Sort of like the uneducated American when it comes to this sport. But look at that graph and my Irish friend calls is soccer too.

In fairness, the reason the Irish call football "soccer" is because soccer is not the biggest sport in Ireland either. If you say "football" in Ireland, they assume you're talking about Gaelic Football, which is their national sport, and is also played using hands rather than feet.

Reactions: FCRU
In fairness, the reason the Irish call football "soccer" is because soccer is not the biggest sport in Ireland either. If you say "football" in Ireland, they assume you're talking about Gaelic Football, which is their national sport, and is also played using hands rather than feet.
Isn't this essential why Aussies, kiwis and us Ameircans do it too?

Has everyone forgotten that sky blue IS very much an NYC original? Columbia University invented "Columbia blue" which is the basis for numerous sky blue and powder blue logos around the country. Yankee Stadium is just a few subway stops removed from Columbia's campus and Manhattan landmarks on it like St. John the Divine Cathedral. Besides looking fantastic, city blue provides a very direct connection to NYC and upper Manhattan specifically.