mgarbowski

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jul 16, 2014
Queens, NY
mgarbowski.com
I expect the choices for certain categories in this contest to be near unanimous, including right back, both center backs, and attacking mid. I think left back, d-mid, and B2B mid will have a strong consensus but won't quite approach unanimous.

But the vote for Best Keeper in NYCFC history is not even a contest. I mean, maybe if you went to the same college as one of the nominees you might be tempted to vote for him (;) SoupInNYC), but even then. I can't see anyone voting for anyone but the obvious.

So I'm giving everyone 2 votes. Vote for Sean your actual choice and then vote for your second choice. I'll do the same with the other votes where I don't expect a meaningful contest for first place, and the only results of interest will be who comes in second.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: SoupInNYC
a vote for saunders is a vote for anarchy. Who actually...?
Historic First NYCFC Goalkeeper TM. 2015 gets a nostalgia boost for sure. I don't think Barraza or Freese have done enough to establish themselves as "the keeper" yet. (Apparently Barraza was in net for the Campeones Cup Final, so I can't say they haven't won anything, but on the other hand it's the Campeones Cup. I had to look it up.) I rate Freese over Barraza.

More importantly, WHERE'S EIRIK ;)

Historic First NYCFC Goalkeeper TM. 2015 gets a nostalgia boost for sure. I don't think Barraza or Freese have done enough to establish themselves as "the keeper" yet. (Apparently Barraza was in net for the Campeones Cup Final, so I can't say they haven't won anything, but on the other hand it's the Campeones Cup. I had to look it up.) I rate Freese over Barraza.

More importantly, WHERE'S EIRIK ;)
A vote for Eirik Johanssen is a vote for anarchy x2

Reactions: LionNYC and Joe_Cos
A vote for Eirik Johanssen is a vote for anarchy x2
the addams family horror tv GIF by absurdnoise

Are you really going to offend Lurch on Halloween?!

I seriously considered including Stuver. I think you can make a case for him as second best/important even though he never started regularly.

Also, you just gave me an idea for a fun poll.
Also, if you want to add suggestions to the other position categories here is where to do it.
Oh man yeah Stuver should definitely be in the poll. I would have chosen him lol

Reactions: mgarbowski
Sorry for the late follow up. I was busy early in the week when these polls ended.
I am happy to announce that the winner of the Best Goalkeeper in NYCFC history is..... Sean Johnson with 100% of the available votes. This was the most easily predicted result in the polls.
Congratulations also to Brad Stuver, who came in second despite being a late addition to the choices.

Honestly I think this is insane.
Stuver played 7 games. That ranks fifth on the team. He also has the worst Goal minus xGoal stat of all keepers on the team and also the worst G/xG. He faced the lowest number of shots per game of any keeper so it wasn't like he was unfairly stressed either.

In contrast, Freese played 10 games, which ain't much but it's more than Stuver, and Freese has the lowest Goals Against per game (0.77) of every keeper. Freese also has the best G-xG and G/xG of any keeper but Ryan Meara (who played 1 game).* Freese conceded 0.32 fewer goals per game than Stuver did while facing 0.42 more shots per game.

Stuver has been good at Austin but was not that great in very limited time at NYCFC. I'd love for people to explain why they voted for him over Freese. I have to think Freese was punished for the team failure this season.

* Of course 1 game samples are worthless but it is funny that poor Meara is remembered for one giant flub in his only game when it was in fact a very strong game overall.

Last edited:
Reactions: JayH
More Stuver Freese numbers:
W-L-D
Stuver was 5-1-1
Freese 4-2-4

That's mostly a result of goal support.

Clean Sheets Stuver 1 Freese 5
1 Goal Games Stuver 2 Freese 3
2+ Goal Games Stuver 4 Freese 2

Stuver was 4-0-0 when conceding 2 or more goals. Freese lost both. Every one of Freese's wins was a shutout, plus he had a 0-0 draw.

Yeah, I imagine Stu gets a lot of fan favorite / community service votes.

Pleasantly surprised by how good Freese’s number are, and that they match the eye test. I’m hoping we get enough of a sample size next year to make it official