NYCFC Best Left Fullback Vote Late 2023 Edition

Who is the Best Left Fullback in NYCFC History?

• Amundsen

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Angelino

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Matarrita

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • Sweat

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Thórarinsson

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • O'Toole

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mgarbowski

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jul 16, 2014
Queens, NY
mgarbowski.com
I was tempted to limit this to one vote because I do not expect a near unanimous choice even though I think I know who will win. But I'm keeping the option to cast 2 votes.

Amundsen is also nominated for left wing. You can vote for him in neither, one, or both categories.

Who is your choice for best NYCFC left back?

Vote will be open 7 days until Friday November 17.

What about O'toole? He beat out Amundsen for the starting role and got him traded. The next season we bring in Cufre and O'toole takes his job too.

What about O'toole? He beat out Amundsen for the starting role and got him traded. The next season we bring in Cufre and O'toole takes his job too.
Added.

Please check the list of remaining positional nominees if you want to add anyone else here:

Interesting one. Obviously, Angelino is the best left back who has ever played for NYCFC, but his time here was short and not particularly memorable. I think this is about performance at the Club, so I didn't vote for him.

Reactions: Schwallacus
Gudi/Malte was a better platoon than Mata/Sweat. So the prize goes to the senior partner in that pairing. Mata was somewhat exciting going forward but a) couldn’t consistently beat out Ben Sweat as a starter even when healthy, b) made probably the biggest bonehead individual play in team history, then c) left to Cincinnati where he became an integral cog in…one of the worst defenses in league history.

I know it’s my hobbyhorse, but I will never understand why Mata was so popular. Seems like a nice enough guy, I guess.

Gudi/Malte was a better platoon than Mata/Sweat. So the prize goes to the senior partner in that pairing. Mata was somewhat exciting going forward but a) couldn’t consistently beat out Ben Sweat as a starter even when healthy, b) made probably the biggest bonehead individual play in team history, then c) left to Cincinnati where he became an integral cog in…one of the worst defenses in league history.

I know it’s my hobbyhorse, but I will never understand why Mata was so popular. Seems like a nice enough guy, I guess.
Mata was a very good regular-season player, but was just dreadful in the playoffs and derbies/big games. Good player, fun player, but didn't really have enough maturity to help us win the big prize.

Mata was a very good regular-season player, but was just dreadful in the playoffs and derbies/big games. Good player, fun player, but didn't really have enough maturity to help us win the big prize
By what metric was he a good player? His quickness and his overlapping runs were exciting but seldom resulted in anything, and he couldn’t even beat out Ben Sweat when he was healthy. He was a positionally awful defender, and despite looking pleasing to the eye,

Gudi had 2 goals (including probably the most important goal in team history) and 4 assists, in ~2200 regular season minutes. In almost exactly 4x the regular season minutes, ~8900, Mata managed almost exactly 2x that production: 4 goals, 9 assists.

The Gudi/Malte platoon was a key improvement that helped make us champions. Mata leaving was addition by subtraction. The year he left, we won a cup and he won a spoon.

I’m sure he was a good guy, but he is probably the single most overrated player in team history.

Mata was a great young player, but ALL the injuries set him back too much, he spent a couple years with us playing below his early pre-injury peak.
I was gutted when he picked up an injury with us just weeks before the World Cup. You could see how devastated he was on our sideline realizing he was going to miss it.

Mata was a great young player, but ALL the injuries set him back too much, he spent a couple years with us playing below his early pre-injury peak.
I was gutted when he picked up an injury with us just weeks before the World Cup. You could see how devastated he was on our sideline realizing he was going to miss it.
Again, by what metric? I don’t count his injuries against him. He was always a shambolic defender, especially as a young player. Constantly out of position.

Gudi, and I’d argue Malte, were both better defenders and Gudi was more effective in attack. So, apparently, according to PV and even Dome, was Ben Sweat for large stretches.