NYCFC catching flak for attendance

Wow. I mean where do you start?

I thought getting all giggly over the City Lite tee shirts they wore last season, while conveniently forgetting they support Red Bull Salzburg-Leipzig-Brazil-New Jersey was bad enough, but this?

Did he mention through the first three home matches in 2016 the defending Supporter's Shield holders could only draw about 58,000 authentic, organic, grassroots fans while NYCFC has drawn over 20,000 more?

CfozpW7W8AANJHz.jpg:small

We are averaging just over 25,300 the RB are just under 19,300. we could be down another 20% and still have better #s.
We also had 2 Sunday night games one of which was freezing.
Are the Cosmos #s even reported?

I've got zero clue as to where NJ gets their numbers from. If they thought their game on Saturday drew almost 20k, they must have watched from the concourses.

The fact that they have to point out that their own attendance is dropping in our to highlight that ours is dropping more is so, so telling. It's like saying "I may have been beaten up by a boy four years younger than me but at least I wasn't beaten up by a boy six years younger than me..."

Don't know why anyone would even be shocked that our attendance is lower this season anyway, last year the team was like a shiny new toy, obviously that's going to wear off a bit in the second year.

As much as I love going to games, it's downright tough for everybody to always be able to attend four home games in a row (I have btw). Last year's games flipped home & away nearly every two weeks which gave folks a chance to do family stuff/etc on the off-weeks w/o guilt. Our schedule this year has pretty much sucked with so many games front loaded in March/April's cold & wet weather.

But whatever. They're not leading the supporters shield standings this year so they're taking shots at our attendance that's still better than theirs.

I can't take anything seriously from a soccer team that advertise "Bull S***m" and call themselves New York while actually being located in New Jersey lol

Considering they have a average attendance of around 21,000 and they drop to around 19,500 so they losing around 1,500 fans of course their percentage is gonna be around the 2% mark, and it's not our fault that New York have a nationwide/worldwide appeal and generally have more fans than the Red Bulls (Check Facebook and Twitter for how many people follow them)

I'm not surprised our attendance has dropped, but I admit to being surprised by how much it has dropped. I hope better weather, scheduling, and results will bring bigger crowds as the season continues.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
It is ridiculous for them to give us flak when we are still outdrawing them significantly.

Still, attendance is down for us this year, and it should be a concern to everyone.

During 2015, our attendance gradually ticked up week over week. If you take out the two "big tent" games - our home opener and the one game against New Jersey - our average went from:

- 23,820 in our first 4 games, to
- 26,871 in mid-season, to
- 29,391 in our last 4 games, even though we had no hope of making the playoffs.

This year, we are at 25,317 after 4 games, which includes the home opener. It is at 23,651 without it. The only game above last year's median was the home opener. Moreover, our attendance has dropped every single game.

Given the increasing momentum over the course of last season, I am very surprised by this. I do think some of this has to do with a string of home games in a row, bad weather, and the tendency of the season to start slow as people take time to become aware that soccer is in full swing. Still, there is nothing about this that is good. I am hopeful that things will pick up over the summer with two big games against the Red Bulls, and interesting contests against Orlando, Colorado and the Galaxy. We shall see.

You can see more data on attendance here.

And every time we brought up attendance to these guys last year, they only wanted to talk about performance on the pitch. Now that they're not performing on the pitch they want to talk attendance despite the fact that we are still out drawing them. Oh, Red Bull....

and their average attendance this year will take a significant hit hosting only 1 derby match while we will compensate for the dip from a lower 2016 home opener with 2 derby matches

The 30th will be our best barometer of what's actually going on. As others have said, the days of the week and times have not lent themselves to casual attendance. Also looking at year to date vs last year when that year includes a sold-out first ever home match for a club and not accounting for that is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: Goodfella
and their average attendance this year will take a significant hit hosting only 1 derby match while we will compensate for the dip from a lower 2016 home opener with 2 derby matches
Two Derbies and LA will pad the numbers quite well - all three should easily be near the 35-40K+ range.

Reactions: Goodfella
FWIW, they've already opened up some of the 300 level seats for the LA match.......although these seats are part of a 3 game package deal with the 2 NJ games in May & July.

http://www.nycfc.com/tickets/3-match-plan
Interesting. And those come out to be $40 tickets for the 300 level, which is a huge coup for the team considering the normal price is a lot less.

-edit- forgot that they bumped the prices in general for those matches