Nycfc V Galaxy - Postgame & Player Ratings

After this loss, how would everyone feel about letting the "kids" play?

Play the diamond. Let Villa and Mullins play up top. Let Poku roam underneath them. Let Mena play with Facey and see if they can develop a partnership. None of us are sold on Saunders. Let Johannsen play. Pirlo plays at the base because he has to. Diskerud and McNamara wide.

I would love it

Not a fan of what Villa said after the game, yeah he's the best player but if people don't remember one of his losses of possession against Columbus led to a goal

Reactions: Kjbert
Team came out strong in the first 15, the LA realized (as any team who plays NY and has a clue this year) to just let NY aimlessly pass it around and wait for a mistake and/or NY to fall asleep, which NY obliged by gifting the first goal on a restart.

Fine with losing, but don't get embarrassed. That goal where Ricketts just punted it up to Lletget who took one touch to launch Rogers for an easy 2-1 break and lay into the net...disgraceful.

The second half was just dead, I've never seen a team let in crosses on the ground to enter so easily into the box like NYC FC does, WE HAVE NO CB's!!

Reactions: TabascoDiva
The league decides what uniforms each team wears and they put us in all black for a day game in hot California on short rest. The league fixed the game. Or something... I guess... That's the only explanation I have for that game. Tinfoil hat on tonight.

Good. Villa can sit on the bench with Lampard next weekend. Let Mullins play.

ESPNFC states the obvious: "New York's defense, and in particular its lack of attention to detail in key moments, is killing the team right now."
http://www.espnfc.us/blog/the-match...tars-and-supporting-cast-pummel-new-york-city

In my opinion, as I've said many times, the *other* thing killing us is lack of discipline in positioning and poor use of the pitch. Here's Whoscored?'s average positioning for the match. LAG is blue, NYCFC is orange:
efpe6gK.png

Now, while LAG is sorta clearly in a 3-4-3, notice how much of the field they cover and control compared to the lumpy mush in the NYC midfield. Jacobsen, Pirlo, Mix, Poku and TMac are all essentially huddled in the center circle while Villa is left, again, on his lonesome up front. To their credit, Facey and Hernadez did remain relatively disciplined, but since Angelino and Iraola were mostly going forward as wingers we were left with a back two, and lord knows that our central "defensive" midfielder Jacobsen would rather do anything other than defend. Facey and Jacobsen were more or less left to deal with Lleget, Keane and Dos Santos by themselves.

On the attacking side, we left massively unexploited space on either side of Villa, clearly. If Poku and TMac would have spread out to their respective right and left more often, Villa could have had far more support. You could also interpret this as Poku and TMac being unwilling to take the fight to Leonardo and González, conceding that territory to them most of the time.

Kreis has got to got to got to drill the team on more intelligent use of the space, and insist on more discipline in positioning. We may have three world-class DPs (sometimes), but Kreis isn't Cryuff, NYCFC isn't Dutch, and we sure as shit clearly don't understand Total Football.

Last edited:
efpe6gK.png
Jacobsen, Pirlo, Mix, Poku and TMac are all essentially huddled in the center circle

I think that Mix and T-Mac are being shown huddling the middle because they would switch sides and this shows their mean position during the match, making them look like they played much more centrally. Generally Mix and T Mac looked like they were playing the wings, there was just no purpose to our possession after 15 minutes.

I think that Mix and T-Mac are being shown huddling the middle because they would switch sides and this shows their mean position during the match, making them look like they played much more centrally. Generally Mix and T Mac looked like they were playing the wings, there was just no purpose to our possession after 15 minutes.
I agree with you that this graphic is probably a bit skewed. Both of them also alternated pinching into the middle for defensive purposes at various points throughout the game. They were plenty of times when Mix and TMac were wide. Bottom line is that LA was just way more disciplined defensively and we weren't able to break them down with any consistency. Here's hoping for a good week of training and a better performance at home against Columbus.

Reactions: Kjbert
Villa is right. The only lock starters next year are him, Poku, Pirlo, Iraola and Mix. I honestly don't think anyone else's position is safe.