Obama's greatest fear (Horrendous subject)

Vinjay

Registered
Mar 19, 2014
Horrendous topic to post about but todays NY Post (amongst other sources) quoted Obama as saying his greatest fear is a nuclear device exploding in NYC. Should the President openly be saying such things or have we all had the same dark thought? I know its something people don't want to think about (never mind read in a major city newspaper) but will Obama's words come as a shock to the people of NY? The comments haven't come as a shock to me and I don't even live in NY or the US. I certainly know London (not area of UK where I'm from but take UK size into account) isn't immune to something like this.

I guess the main question of this topic (since nobody truly knows what they would do if something on this scale happened) is more political. Should Obama be publicly making comments like this? Any political allegiances aside how do you feel about it?

Some differing views on Obama's comments here...http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-26/obama-s-manhattan-nuke-comment-no-indication-of-threat.html

Last edited:
Hopefully we can avoid getting too deep into politics but..

This is nothing new in NYC. Ever since Sept. 11 we've been reminded multiple times a day that we are only one bad decision from being annihilated. It's a city/nation of fear. People do what they are told when they believe their safety is at risk so it's in the best interest of Law Enforcement and Government to have a easily controlled public.

President Obama making a statement like that is nothing new or surprising. Mayor Guiliani and Mayor Bloomberg have been telling us for years. The MTA (bus-trains-tunnels) tell us every 5 minutes that we're all gonna die if someone leaves their lunch bag on a train.

Reactions: Soccerfanatic94
Well not remotely surprised you say that but its strange that some people are shocked and offended by Obama's comments. Granted Rupert Murdoch isn't exactly pro Obama (having previously called him a racist for instance) and will probably use stuff like this to attack him for exactly that...politics. Evidently from that article DeBlasio won't be any different to two previous mayors when it comes to warnings.

Think there's likely to be a few highly political subjects on the off topic board. So far its been all football and PS4 so thought I should post something a bit different (though maybe I could have chosen a more cheerful subject)

You're fine Vinjay Vinjay as long as people can be honest and practical rather than bash parties with disregard of fact, etc it will be fine.

As far as the statement is concerned I don't like it coming from anyone.
I was 11 when 9/11 happened and I remember exactly where I was. Despite the fact I didn't live in New York the event still stays with me and any reminder, whether accidental (looking at the time and seeing it's 09:11) or deliberate (someone talking about it) it just puts a sour taste in my mouth. It's important to remember those that lost their lives and sacrificed, however it's unthinkable to discuss how it could be one-upped.

Then again this is why I'm completely turned off from politics.

I think its only a matter of time before a nuclear device is set off in some major city. I hope its not New York but there are a lot of angry, crazy people out there that are angry and crazy about a lot of different countries -- including our own.

For instance, it wouldn't surprise me if some of those Uyghur people in China set one off in a Chinese city or the Chechens set one off in a Russian city or some Muslims set one off in Israel.

No offense, didn't take much time to read your responses guys, but when your POLICE FORCE has the capability to take down AIRCRAFT (guided missile launchers) you know it's bad. That's what society as a whole has come to. I used to live in Upstate NY and my parents told me stories of the fear that Plattsburgh Air Force Base would be nuked during the cold war. We are a nation in constant fear of what's next?

No offense, didn't take much time to read your responses guys, but when your POLICE FORCE has the capability to take down AIRCRAFT (guided missile launchers) you know it's bad. That's what society as a whole has come to. I used to live in Upstate NY and my parents told me stories of the fear that Plattsburgh Air Force Base would be nuked during the cold war. We are a nation in constant fear of what's next?
If you haven't read our responses -- they're pretty much in line with the way you think/feel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soccerfanatic94