Off Season Friendlies

Just as a point of reference, many other teams in the league often squeeze in a few matches after MLS Cup. I believe the Galaxy did a tour in Asia/Australia every year during the Beckham days.

Reactions: Goodfella
Just as a point of reference, many other teams in the league often squeeze in a few matches after MLS Cup. I believe the Galaxy did a tour in Asia/Australia every year during the Beckham days.

I thought those were pre season tours like in February/ march since I think Asian leagues and Australia have similar regular season schedule.

I vaguely remember once galaxy got hammered like5-2 or something to Australian team but I thought that was February ish

I thought those were pre season tours like in February/ march since I think Asian leagues and Australia have similar regular season schedule.

I vaguely remember once galaxy got hammered like5-2 or something to Australian team but I thought that was February ish
From Wikipedia:
Following the 2011 MLS Cup Playoffs, the Galaxy embarked on a two week, postseason tour across Asia, stopping in Australia, the Philippines and Indonesia. During the tour, the Galaxy finished undefeated, winning twice and tying once.

It looks like it may have only been a one time thing, but I have seen teams playing post-season friendlies before. It would probably be a good idea if we could throw together a few matches during the playoffs (which we have to assume we won't be playing) to keep making progress of building the team.

Will they ever play a friendly in NYC?

And the NYC winter!

If the Yankees were willing to let such a friendly happen, the only time would be during the European leagues' winter break in late December. There are no FIFA dates occurring after the MLS season is over, during which the clubs would conceivably be free to come here; the first one after November isn't until late March, well into next MLS season.

The winter break period has the advantage of being at the same time as the Pinstripe Bowl, for which the pitcher's mound is removed. So a wider soccer pitch could be set up. But during the winter break, the players on the European clubs are off for a while, and then -- at least for the big clubs -- they typically reconvene for training at a warm-weather site. Sometimes a friendly is played, such as last year's Milan-Madrid game in Dubai. To ask a high-profile team to come to New York in late December would be a bit too much.

Considering that NYCFC are playing the Puerto Rican national team, I suppose that a national team could conceviably come in during the winter. But the same problem of lack of FIFA dates comes up; the national teams usually are not together during this period.

So, for these reasons, on top of the likelihood of extreme cold, there is little chance of there ever being an NYCFC friendly at Yankee Stadium over the winter.

I believe that at the end of the A-League season, Manchester City travelled to Australia and played a match versus Melbourne City dubbed "City vs City." I wouldn't be surprised to see NYCFC do a similar journey during the MLS winter break.

I believe that at the end of the A-League season, Manchester City travelled to Australia and played a match versus Melbourne City dubbed "City vs City." I wouldn't be surprised to see NYCFC do a similar journey during the MLS winter break.

The game in Melbourne took place since it was the Man City's off season. Don't expect to have such a game in New York since Man City is in season with EPL and Champions League. We may to go Manchester for a friendly, but the draw of having the game in Melbourne was for Melbourne fans to see Man City play. I don't think any Manchester fans have a real interest in seeing us play.

The game in Melbourne took place since it was the Man City's off season. Don't expect to have such a game in New York since Man City is in season with EPL and Champions League. We may to go Manchester for a friendly, but the draw of having the game in Melbourne was for Melbourne fans to see Man City play. I don't think any Manchester fans have a real interest in seeing us

MCFC played had their post season tour in Toronto this year and played TFC...can't see why they can't have it in NYC next season.