Once A Metro: "rumor: Qatar Sports Investments "seriously" Interested In Red Bulls"

Except they make it about New York and less about a foreign club satellite and we are screwed.
No, our guys would just have to follow through on their original promise to make this a "New York team, not a Manchester team" and we'll be fine.

That's kinda why I hope it happens. It will create competition that RB can't provide and we all will be better for it.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a supporter owned club yet. They're all over Europe I believe. Even the Green Bay Packers are owned by the fans.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a supporter owned club yet. They're all over Europe I believe. Even the Green Bay Packers are owned by the fans.
Against MLS rules, I believe.

I think there's one supporter owned club in all of America and that's Nashville FC.

Reactions: Goodfella
IIRC, PSG was interested in NYC2 but was outbid by CFG, so there could be truth to those rumors.

It would be somewhat amusing if this happened. I mean all those authentic, organic grassroot RBNY fan ultra types who mock NYCFC for our connections to CFG & MCFC would never stand for such a set up, would they....... :rolleyes:

Against MLS rules, I believe.

I think there's one supporter owned club in all of America and that's Nashville FC.

San Francisco FC. I only know that because they advanced in the US Open Cup and I saw their twitter page.

But in general, I don't like the Qataris and really don't want to see them in MLS. They have money, but as we see with the WC they're really shady. Unlike Abu Dhabi, there's a lot more ties with like ISIS and fringes like that. I hope RBNY gets a good owner, but there's gotta be someone rich enough in NYC to take good care of RBNY.

Would MLS approve them as owners? They scoffed at Saputo in Montreal for years because of his vague connections to Italian organized crime. I've also seen speculations that the league denied the Cosmos because Sela Sport has some shady history, not that the Cosmos "we can do it better on our own" mantra they have been going with.
With the human rights issues facing Qatar, I can't imagine New Jersey would be thrilled with them coming onboard and MLS would stay away, avoiding a potential political nightmare.

Would MLS approve them as owners? They scoffed at Saputo in Montreal for years because of his vague connections to Italian organized crime. I've also seen speculations that the league denied the Cosmos because Sela Sport has some shady history, not that the Cosmos "we can do it better on our own" mantra they have been going with.
With the human rights issues facing Qatar, I can't imagine New Jersey would be thrilled with them coming onboard and MLS would stay away, avoiding a potential political nightmare.

Would applaud MLS if they did so, but you never know when these kinds of sums are involved whether greed will blind common sense. Like someone said, if they're willing to spend you could see a strong NY derby; if MLS denies the sale you may be stuck with a lackluster team in NJ and a great one out in Yankee Stadium.