Promotion & Relegation

MLS squads needs to build fan bases in their respective cities and if they get relegated they have to start over, Terrible idea. Sports culture in the United States won't allow this.

This will attract few hipster European soccer fans that only watch European soccer season and that's a maybe.

How does the story of Leicester City factor into the debate now? Is this the first time a newly promoted team wins the league title?

How does the story of Leicester City factor into the debate now? Is this the first time a newly promoted team wins the league title?
Leicester weren't "newly promoted" for this season, but they barely escaped relegation last season. It's the turnaround that shocked everyone.

But as for teams who were promoted and then won the league in their first season:

Nottingham Forest were promoted from Division Two to Division One (top tier before the Premier League was created) for the 1977/78 season and then went on to win the league.
Before them, Ipswich Town was promoted into Division One for the 1961/62 season and won it the same year.

Reactions: joe and FootyLovin
Speaking of the Premier League and promotion from the Championship, now that the PL has been won the thing to pay attention to is the intense scrapping at the top of the Championship for the second automatic promotion spot.

Middlesbrough and Brighton & Hove Albion are tied on points (88), and by luck of the fixture computer draw will wind up playing each other on the last day of the league for the prize of automatic promotion. The loser will go into the playoffs for the third promotion spot (while a draw will promote 'Boro on GD). The match will probably be insane and I'd recommend watching it if you can (May 7 at 7:30 AM)

Burnley clinched automatic promotion this past weekend.

Speaking of the Premier League and promotion from the Championship, now that the PL has been won the thing to pay attention to is the intense scrapping at the top of the Championship for the second automatic promotion spot.

Middlesbrough and Brighton & Hove Albion are tied on points (88), and by luck of the fixture computer draw will wind up playing each other on the last day of the league for the prize of automatic promotion. The loser will go into the playoffs for the third promotion spot (while a draw will promote 'Boro on GD). The match will probably be insane and I'd recommend watching it if you can (May 7 at 7:30 AM)

Burnley clinched automatic promotion this past weekend.
Do you know of any legal ways to watch?

Reactions: FootyLovin
Leicester weren't "newly promoted" for this season, but they barely escaped relegation last season. It's the turnaround that shocked everyone.

But as for teams who were promoted and then won the league in their first season:

Nottingham Forest were promoted from Division Two to Division One (top tier before the Premier League was created) for the 1977/78 season and then went on to win the league.
Before them, Ipswich Town was promoted into Division One for the 1961/62 season and won it the same year.
Thanks for the correction, and the input.

MLS squads needs to build fan bases in their respective cities and if they get relegated they have to start over, Terrible idea. Sports culture in the United States won't allow this.
huh? so are you saying that the sports culture in the US is that fans would stop supporting their MLS teams if they got relegated (and MLS teams would have to rebuild their fan bases again)?

I lost any interest in the article when they first highlight Landon Donovan as the one questioning it - a guy trying to make waves and stay relevant on the national scene as a c-grade pundit. This is also a guy that skipped college and has zero business experience on the economics of a league and it's teams and why a private league wouldn't want to open its doors to outsiders.

To be taken seriously, the article should have started with somebody with real knowledge of economics and how it could be applied to the current US Soccer tier of leagues and why it'd be good for MLS owners (which I'm yet to see a valid reason - anywhere).

I lost any interest in the article when they first highlight Landon Donovan as the one questioning it - a guy trying to make waves and stay relevant on the national scene as a c-grade pundit. This is also a guy that skipped college and has zero business experience on the economics of a league and it's teams and why a private league wouldn't want to open its doors to outsiders.

To be taken seriously, the article should have started with somebody with real knowledge of economics and how it could be applied to the current US Soccer tier of leagues and why it'd be good for MLS owners (which I'm yet to see a valid reason - anywhere).

oof so much disrespect for the best US player in past decade. Also MLS top execs and owners and probably all have college degrees and yet still make stupid decisions. so no a college degree doesn't guarantee smart decisions....

as for promotion relegation there is this....i think its pro PR....for me it was tl; dr if its not then meh just food for thought.

http://www.soccernomics-agency.com/?p=589

FYI- i dont think it will happen since MLS owners wont want it...at most like i said it will be MLS and MLS 2 kind of how japan does it and try to get it under one TV contract.

oof so much disrespect for the best US player in past decade. Also MLS top execs and owners and probably all have college degrees and yet still make stupid decisions. so no a college degree doesn't guarantee smart decisions....

as for promotion relegation there is this....i think its pro PR....for me it was tl; dr if its not then meh just food for thought.

http://www.soccernomics-agency.com/?p=589

FYI- i dont think it will happen since MLS owners wont want it...at most like i said it will be MLS and MLS 2 kind of how japan does it and try to get it under one TV contract.
Landon may have been the best US player, but that doesn't make him a good pundit nor in a position to "spend" the clubs owners money. There are a ton of former players that are absolutely horrible pundits: Lalas & Wynalda both suck and like to listen to their own visions of excellence that they didn't adhere to as players. Donovan is turning out to be the same.

And also don't mistake understanding the economics of a business venture with making a bad decision in the front office. There are micro decisions that are day-to-day functions of the club, or any business, and macro decisions that deal with the league structure. An exec can screw up a micro decision and it's not damning, but add in Pro/Reg as a macro decision and the effect will be a huge loss of equity/capital to any owner that is relegated. And in that, Donovan is not qualified to criticize.

Landon may have been the best US player, but that doesn't make him a good pundit nor in a position to "spend" the clubs owners money. There are a ton of former players that are absolutely horrible pundits: Lalas & Wynalda both suck and like to listen to their own visions of excellence that they didn't adhere to as players. Donovan is turning out to be the same.

And also don't mistake understanding the economics of a business venture with making a bad decision in the front office. There are micro decisions that are day-to-day functions of the club, or any business, and macro decisions that deal with the league structure. An exec can screw up a micro decision and it's not damning, but add in Pro/Reg as a macro decision and the effect will be a huge loss of equity/capital to any owner that is relegated. And in that, Donovan is not qualified to criticize.

i still think they can make stupid decisions that affect the league as a whole. i mean teams were folding in MLS and i think i read somewhere that the league was actually dead or bankrupt for a few days in 2001. so no, college degrees or "an understanding of economics" guarantee success in anything.

however, i do think dononvan and lalas etc have a right to their opinion, no matter how much their opinion is pure garbage.....this is why i dont read or follow lalas, wynalda or any of the fox sports or espn fc people.

you can just ignore what they say....its just weird to me he gets so much shit even though he was the best players in a decade....yes he doesnt fully comprehend the way things work but man he gets alot of it, heck he can probably still help the USMNT right now in this crisis. but people just see him as a annoying guy....if thats his legacy then damn.

i mean when pulisic retires in like 20 years and he also wants promotion and relegation he will be dismissed or crapped on because he didnt go to college?

Reactions: FootyLovin
i still think they can make stupid decisions that affect the league as a whole. i mean teams were folding in MLS and i think i read somewhere that the league was actually dead or bankrupt for a few days in 2001. so no, college degrees or "an understanding of economics" guarantee success in anything.

however, i do think dononvan and lalas etc have a right to their opinion, no matter how much their opinion is pure garbage.....this is why i dont read or follow lalas, wynalda or any of the fox sports or espn fc people.

you can just ignore what they say....its just weird to me he gets so much shit even though he was the best players in a decade....yes he doesnt fully comprehend the way things work but man he gets alot of it, heck he can probably still help the USMNT right now in this crisis. but people just see him as a annoying guy....if thats his legacy then damn.

i mean when pulisic retires in like 20 years and he also wants promotion and relegation he will be dismissed or crapped on because he didnt go to college?
Does the sun rise in the east?

If Pulisic brings up Pro/Reg in 20 years, then yes, he'll probably take a lot of heat. If Pulisic in 20 years owns a club and wants to talk about it, then that's another conversation because he's got skin in the game.

Donovan has zero skin in the game and is trying to stay relevant by stiring the pot regarding not only this subject, but every powder keg topic. It'd be different if he was doing it simply as a fan of the game, but he isn't, he's doing it as Landon Donovan ex-USMNT player - he should stay mum just like ex-presidents don't criticize the guy that replaced them.